Packers sign RT Rick Wagner

Lodestar

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Good to know. I was a bit surprised when I saw age 31 with March 20-something for a birthday. The age isn't really the indicator for me. I also would have brought him back for that price, if there wasn't a reason to anticipate health becoming a factor in what value he ultimately provides. 

Lots of things to pay for coming up. Value is important right now.

Yeah.  Clark is going to be expensive.  So is Bakhtiari, and he might be seeing the rare 3rd contract, he will be 29 in September.  If we also pay Jones, we are going to have to be young and/or cheap at a few positions.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:31 AM, Packerraymond said:

Comp picks intact

Seems to be a reoccurring theme here.  Both Ricky Wagner and Christian Kirksey won't impact our comp pick situation, and both can be "fillers" until a younger guy is ready to step up.  Both Bryan Bulaga and Blake Martinez should likely fetch 4th round picks in 2021 (although I'm not sure OTC has Bulaga projected as a 5th round pick), and Kyler Fackrell should project to receive a 6th round pick.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Seems to be a reoccurring theme here.  Both Ricky Wagner and Christian Kirksey won't impact our comp pick situation, and both can be "fillers" until a younger guy is ready to step up.  Both Bryan Bulaga and Blake Martinez should likely fetch 4th round picks in 2021 (although I'm not sure OTC has Bulaga projected as a 5th round pick), and Kyler Fackrell should project to receive a 6th round pick.

I can follow. So who does that mean we sign next? DO we sign someone else?

27 minutes ago, Joe said:

I can follow. So who does that mean we sign next? DO we sign someone else?

OTC has us at $14.5M in cap space, while Spotrac has us at $12.4M so let's split the difference.  Let's say the Packers have $13.5M left in cap space.  Figure ~$3M for draft picks and $7M for rollover plus in-season expenses.  I'd probably be looking at Taylor Gabriel, Paul Richardson, etc. assuming we stick with the guys who won't affect the comp pick formula.

Just now, CWood21 said:

OTC has us at $14.5M in cap space, while Spotrac has us at $12.4M so let's split the difference.  Let's say the Packers have $13.5M left in cap space.  Figure ~$3M for draft picks and $7M for rollover plus in-season expenses.  I'd probably be looking at Taylor Gabriel, Paul Richardson, etc. assuming we stick with the guys who won't affect the comp pick formula.

So no IDL...awesome...

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

So no IDL...awesome...

I mean, the Packers could in theory create more cap space.  Turn $9M of Z's roster bonus into a singing bonus, makes the dead cap in the future harder to swallow.  A Bakh extension could lower it as well.  Could restructure Davante Adams into a singing bonus to add more.  Could in theory create $16M more in cap space by Z and Adams alone.

20 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Given that this is a deep class at WR, I'm thinking the first pick is an OT.  Jones or Jackson right now, just from what I see on CBS concerning their big board.

But...to be clear...this is a right tackle we are after.  Those guys can and are found all around the draft.  

I certainly think we see an OT drafted with one of our first three picks.

Yes, I like your logic here.  Several cautions:

1.  While it's true that RT are found all around the draft, I wonder how often they are rookie-ready? 

2.  I think it's also evident from Packers history (TT on) that a lot of them taken all over the draft never work well enough to want them as your long-term RT.  From 2006 on, I'm listing tackles taken in rounds 1-5.  (None of the 6th-7th rounders ever emerged.) . College (2), Spitz (3), Moll (5), Barbre (4), SITTON (4), Giacomini (5), LANG (4), Meredith (5), BULAGA (1), Newhouse (5), Sherrod (1),  BAKHTI (4), Tretter (4), Spriggs (2), Madison (5).  My point here is that while several guys emerged as good-value picks and capable starters (College, Sitton, Lang, Tretter,), none of those guys was tackle-caliber.  (Lang got some shot there, and he was pretty bad...) . Of those 15 guys taken in round 5 and higher, only two (Bakhti and Bulaga) have proven tackle-capable.  Of the 13 guys taken in rounds 2-5, Bakhti is the ONLY one who has become an asset starter.  

3.  So yes, it's POSSIBLE that you can get your long-term guy after round one, but the odds aren't that hot.  And even some of the journeymen like Giaco and Barbre, it took them five years to improve enough to be mediocre.  So I'd be hesitant to assume that we can get a solid long-term RT in rounds 3-4-5.  

4.  Obviously to become a champion, you need to get some both smart-and-lucky hits in the draft.  So if we do got hit-hit-hit on picks 1-2-3, and bring in good long-term asset OT, DL, and WR with those three picks, that might be the kind of magic that happens for teams that end up on top.  

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wouldn't assume a large rollover due to the contract jump from Rodgers, as I've said repeatedly this is the year to go for it.

Also, Taylor will be cut unless we strike out everywhere. We have plenty of room for the top WR/TEs left.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I wouldn't assume a large rollover due to the contract jump from Rodgers, as I've said repeatedly this is the year to go for it.

Also, Taylor will be cut unless we strike out everywhere. We have plenty of room for the top WR/TEs left.

The Packers rolled over a bit under $6M according to Spotrac.  I figure there will be some in-season signings that will dig into it.  Taylor will be cut?

Thanks, CWood, for the dollars.  I like to use Spotrac, I tend to trust that whatever has the lower value tends to be more realistic!  :) . 

A note, that our draft picks only need $2M.  With no extra high picks, and drafting late, only the first three guys will have cap higher than the salaries they replace in cap; and round 3 by only a tiny bit. 

So using Spotrac, we've basically got $10 +Taylor to divvy up between rollover, contingency, Taylor, and new guys.  

Edited by craig