Hopkins traded from Texans to Arizona

The Gnat

11 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I think a head coach has every right to establish his own locker room culture.  If he felt that Hopkins didn't fit that culture, I don't have a problem with getting rid of him.  The Giants did the same with OBJ.  And teams around the league must have been aware of Hopkins' issues.  I can't imagine the Texans shipped him off for a 2nd round pick without shopping him around the league to see if they can get a 1st round pick.

i can imagine that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

I think a head coach has every right to establish his own locker room culture.  If he felt that Hopkins didn't fit that culture, I don't have a problem with getting rid of him.  The Giants did the same with OBJ.  And teams around the league must have been aware of Hopkins' issues.  I can't imagine the Texans shipped him off for a 2nd round pick without shopping him around the league to see if they can get a 1st round pick.

So if Michael Thomas doesn’t fit the Saints culture anymore and is traded for a 2nd, that’s okay because it’s in the name of culture? Doesn’t really always fly. Hopkins hasn’t been getting in trouble, hasn’t been creating much noise, hasn’t been a bad team mate. And now BoB, who has a bad reputation as both a guy and a football coach/GM, gets the benefit of the doubt? Nah. 

I see what you’re saying. Guys like Odell (who is always going to be in headlines) are going to be an issue for some of the traditionalist coaches. Sometimes that means parting with elite players. But A) BoB has no history of being able to build a culture, and B) shipped out Hopkins for much less than he’s probably worth. Comparing, on any level, the conversation with Hopkins to that of Hernandez? BoB isn’t someone who can be defended right now, the guy’s a bum.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

No, goodness no.

There's a difference between creating a culture and demanding a "no questions asked/my way or the highway" dictatorship.

Not sure if you noticed, but Hopkins isn't the first guy BoB outed like this. Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Duane Brown, Jadevion Clowney, Rick Smith, Brian Gaine, Chris Olson - players and GM/FO guys.

Is that creating a culture ...or a dictatorship?

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

So if Michael Thomas doesn’t fit the Saints culture anymore and is traded for a 2nd, that’s okay because it’s in the name of culture? Doesn’t really always fly. Hopkins hasn’t been getting in trouble, hasn’t been creating much noise, hasn’t been a bad team mate. And now BoB, who has a bad reputation as both a guy and a football coach/GM, gets the benefit of the doubt? Nah. 

Remember, this is the same Bill O'Brien who did this:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Bill-O-Brien-expletive-video-heckers-cuss-14965024.php

Is this a culture thing... or someone who fragile to the point of irrational behavior?

This isn't new, don't try to act as if the signs haven't been there.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Not sure if you noticed, but Hopkins isn't the first guy BoB outed like this. Andre Johnson, Arian Foster, Duane Brown, Jadevion Clowney, Rick Smith, Brian Gaine, Chris Olson - players and GM/FO guys.

Is that creating a culture ...or a dictatorship?

even if its not the latter, he is at least failing to create the former

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Bill-O-Brien-expletive-video-heckers-cuss-14965024.php

Is this a culture thing... or someone who fragile to the point of irrational behavior?

Nazism is a culture so?

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Dimes to dollars it was Byron Jones. Dimes to Benjamins it was Tyrann Mathieu telling him (I have a feeling Mathieu came out of Houston with a serious dislike for the current regime).

I was wrong.

5 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

i could see kareem telling someone that too.  he was lashing out on twitter when the Hopkins trade was made.

You were 50% right. A few guys have "suggested" it was Broncos S/CB Kareem Jackson talking to former Bronco/newest Charger CB Chris Harris Jr.

Side note: One day, there will be a 30 For 30 on the Bill O'Brien era of the Texans, the dysfunction and absolute lack of oversight, and how it ruined the careers of three HoF calibur players in Watson, Hopkins and Watt...

My Empire of Dirt: Bill O'Brien and the Houston Texans

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Ya'll remember when he threw the challenge flag on that Christian McCaffrey catch because it was a spectacular catch and he was just really upset that the guy caught it lol

Edited by Drained
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Side note: One day, there will be a 30 For 30 on the Bill O'Brien era of the Texans, the dysfunction and absolute lack of oversight, and how it ruined the careers of three HoF calibur players in Watson, Hopkins and Watt...

My Empire of Dirt: Bill O'Brien and the Houston Texans

Not that I disagree, but Hopkins still has several good years ahead of him, and Watt has been more derailed by injuries.  Wouldnt say he ruined their careers, despite how terrible he is.

• Like 1

I love that all these former players are coming out and saying how bad O'Brien was now that they feel like theyre in the environment to finally say it. I like that Jaelen Strong came out and basically confirmed that O'Brien insulting Hopkins for having the mothers of his children in his life (cause screw being caring to your kids right?) is something that O'Brien did to him too.

And the Texans were the ones who started the myth that Keke Coutee was lazy. I fell into it too, mainly cause I'm a fan who gets mad when Keke does stuff like bat balls up and run bad routes, but I'm a fan, I can be mad at players, I'm not the head coach meant to mature these players. Apparently O'Brien was mad at D'Onta Foreman after he tore his own ACL and didn't at all help him to recover then trashed him and said he had poor work ethic.

Tyrann Mathieu tweeting subtly too, wouldn't be surprised if he pushed him out of his too.

This the most surprising one to me. The fact OB traded this guy cause he wanted to focus on his family for TWO days while his son is born and O'Brien immediate response is "you can't juggle family and football, you're gone." Idk about any of you but if my wife or girlfriend was in labor and I asked my boss to go and he said "nah you got poor work ethic if you go" I'd want to leave too lmao. 

Just makes me think about the background here, probably why we're losing all these players to FA.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:03 PM, ET80 said:

He's trading Watson to LAC or NE, then gonna bring in Christian Hackenberg...

"Hackenberg has a strong arm and made Allen Robinson look good in college! It was the other way around you say? Clearly you are a poor evaluator of talent."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drained said:

I love that all these former players are coming out and saying how bad O'Brien was now that they feel like theyre in the environment to finally say it. I like that Jaelen Strong came out and basically confirmed that O'Brien insulting Hopkins for having the mothers of his children in his life (cause screw being caring to your kids right?) is something that O'Brien did to him too.

And the Texans were the ones who started the myth that Keke Coutee was lazy. I fell into it too, mainly cause I'm a fan who gets mad when Keke does stuff like bat balls up and run bad routes, but I'm a fan, I can be mad at players, I'm not the head coach meant to mature these players. Apparently O'Brien was mad at D'Onta Foreman after he tore his own ACL and didn't at all help him to recover then trashed him and said he had poor work ethic.

Tyrann Mathieu tweeting subtly too, wouldn't be surprised if he pushed him out of his too.

This the most surprising one to me. The fact OB traded this guy cause he wanted to focus on his family for TWO days while his son is born and O'Brien immediate response is "you can't juggle family and football, you're gone." Idk about any of you but if my wife or girlfriend was in labor and I asked my boss to go and he said "nah you got poor work ethic if you go" I'd want to leave too lmao. 

Just makes me think about the background here, probably why we're losing all these players to FA.

Have the Texans signed any FAs of note thus far? I can’t seem to see any on the news section at all, just thinking about your last sentence there.