2020 NFL Draft: Discussion, Reports, Rumors, and Studies

jetskid007

None of those WR are guaranteed to be stars. On average, likely one of Ruggs, Jeudy and Lamb will bust. That’s not a reason not to draft one of them though. But in that 2014 draft, some of the guys drafted in the 2nd were better than the 1st round guys. I’m not going to kill Douglas on the order in which he addresses the needs. 

Darnold needs weapons for sure. He also needs a clean pocket. His completion percentage from a clean pocket was 7th best in the league at 82%. And that was with backup WR. We just need to grab two OL and two WRs in the top 100 picks. I’ll let time decide whether we chose them in the right order.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

None of those WR are guaranteed to be stars. On average, likely one of Ruggs, Jeudy and Lamb will bust. That’s not a reason not to draft one of them though. But in that 2014 draft, some of the guys drafted in the 2nd were better than the 1st round guys. I’m not going to kill Douglas on the order in which he addresses the needs. 

Darnold needs weapons for sure. He also needs a clean pocket. His completion percentage from a clean pocket was 7th best in the league at 82%. And that was with backup WR. We just need to grab two OL and two WRs in the top 100 picks.

I think it's about filling the OT and WR holes with the BPA at the time. If 3 OL are drafted by the time we get to 11, and we have the best WRs to choose from, we should go WR, and vice-versa. I think Jeudy is a better WR prospect than any of the OLs are OL prospects, but that's just my opinion. I just want elite value at 11.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think it's about filling the OT and WR holes with the BPA at the time. If 3 OL are drafted by the time we get to 11, and we have the best WRs to choose from, we should go WR, and vice-versa. I think Jeudy is a better WR prospect than any of the OLs are OL prospects, but that's just my opinion. I just want elite value at 11.

I agree that’s the right approach if we stay put at 11 or trade back. We should just be snipping the best OL and WR. We finally have some smart people in our front office. We got this.

Honestly if you look at it from a prospect perspective you can't go wrong with Jeudy, Ruggs, Lamb, Jefferson or Wills, Thomas, Wirfs, Becton, or Jones at 11

All won't be stars but all look like elite prospects. Just got hope we aren't the team that drafts the bust.

Brandon Aiyuk has had muscle surgery so won’t be available for offseason workouts (if there will be any). Could he potentially slide to our 3rd or even 4th round pick? He would be a steal. 

With the crazy amount of talent at WR some players will inevitably drop...if a player is injured then that could force him down a round or two. 

2 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Give me.

1st - OT

2nd - WR

3rd - WR and OG

After that go focus on CB, pass rusher, and RB depth and I'll be thrilled.

Yeah I’d do that...iv said a million times if we don’t go WR at #11 then we must use two premium picks on receivers. I’d just double dip with our 2nd and one of the 3rds. 

With our second 3rd, 4th and 5th and want some combo of CB, Edge, OG. Obviously if the board doesn’t fall that way then I’d rather go BPA as we don’t want scrubs in this team just because they play a position of need. That’s how you end up with a poor roster. 

6 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Brandon Aiyuk has had muscle surgery so won’t be available for offseason workouts (if there will be any). Could he potentially slide to our 3rd or even 4th round pick? He would be a steal. 

With the crazy amount of talent at WR some players will inevitably drop...if a player is injured then that could force him down a round or two. 

He’s starting to get mocked in the 1st. This likely pushes his ceiling to the second round. There are going to be good WRs and OL when we pick in the 3rd. Ideally we get to the 3rd having already addressed both areas and just looking to double up in both areas. I’m excited for this draft. Can’t wait. 

11 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

He’s starting to get mocked in the 1st. This likely pushes his ceiling to the second round. There are going to be good WRs and OL when we pick in the 3rd. Ideally we get to the 3rd having already addressed both areas and just looking to double up in both areas. I’m excited for this draft. Can’t wait. 

In the 3rd I want Devin Duvernay. Think he’s going to be someone who would be liked by Adam Gase. 

11 minutes ago, xenajets said:

In the 3rd I want Devin Duvernay. Think he’s going to be someone who would be liked by Adam Gase. 

I do like Duvernay but he's seemingly a big risk given his best production has come from the combine.. I've seen a few mocks with James Proche who I see as a similar type player who could be had in a much later round (who also happens to be tight with Jamal) 

For those of you hoping for a WR with our pick, where would you rank the combination of Fant/Edoga relative to the rest of the league? 

It wasn't all that long ago this entire board was complaining about a HISTORICALLY bad offensive line. Now that we've upgraded at center people are desperate to pass on a potential blue chip OT? I want the shiny new toy just as much as the next guy but let's not forget how demoralizing it was to watch Darnold/Bell fight an up hill battle on literally every single play.

It seems like everyone is so enamored (Understandable) with Jeudy//Ruggs//Lamb they've forgotten we still have one of the worst offensive lines in football. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

For those of you hoping for a WR with our pick, where would you rank the combination of Fant/Edoga relative to the rest of the league? 

It wasn't all that long ago this entire board was complaining about a HISTORICALLY bad offensive line. Now that we've upgraded at center people are desperate to pass on a potential blue chip OT? I want the shiny new toy just as much as the next guy but let's not forget how demoralizing it was to watch Darnold/Bell fight an up hill battle on literally every single play.

It seems like everyone is so enamored (Understandable) with Jeudy//Ruggs//Lamb they've forgotten we still have one of the worst offensive lines in football. 

Fant is our starter at LT whether we draft one or not, they signed him to START at LT. Listen to what Fant said on why he came here. Douglas believes that Fant is a scheme fit player who will play well in the scheme with his athleticism. 

Who's saying that the OT we draft will be better than Edoga? Or fall under the same rookie struggles that Edoga had?  

I just think the quality of WR we potentially could add at #11 would be better than the OT we could get. Our WRs are the worst in football right now, drafting Jeudy or Lamb would give us a WR with legit top 10 potential. It would be the move that allows Darnold to take the next step and the offense to start becoming good. 

We have signed 4-5 players onto the OL and did nothing at WR. So yes I want a guy who I think is gonna be a very good to elite WR in the NFL round 1, then I'll deal with OT round 2 trying to get a tier 2 guy to compete with Edoga at RT, because like it or not the Jets did not pay Fant $10 mil this year to be a backup. 

28 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Fant is our starter at LT whether we draft one or not, they signed him to START at LT. Listen to what Fant said on why he came here. Douglas believes that Fant is a scheme fit player who will play well in the scheme with his athleticism. 

Who's saying that the OT we draft will be better than Edoga? Or fall under the same rookie struggles that Edoga had?  

I just think the quality of WR we potentially could add at #11 would be better than the OT we could get. Our WRs are the worst in football right now, drafting Jeudy or Lamb would give us a WR with legit top 10 potential. It would be the move that allows Darnold to take the next step and the offense to start becoming good. 

We have signed 4-5 players onto the OL and did nothing at WR. So yes I want a guy who I think is gonna be a very good to elite WR in the NFL round 1, then I'll deal with OT round 2 trying to get a tier 2 guy to compete with Edoga at RT, because like it or not the Jets did not pay Fant $10 mil this year to be a backup. 

Hmm.. 

I like the potential of Fant in this new offensive scheme - Doesn't change the fact that he's a career swing tackle. Douglas gave him a glorified 1yr $9mm deal, not exactly a guarantee he'll be starting anywhere, although I do expect him to be our LT. Regardless, we need two OTs. Assuming both Fant/Edoga miraculously have break out seasons is a tad bit optimistic, no? 

You're argument about whoever we draft not being better than Edoga, I mean, c'mon .. Using that logic, who's to say the WR we draft will be better than Perriman? It's ridiculous. Technically you're right, but I'll take my chances. These OT prospects are just as ELITE as these WRs. 

"Our Wrs are the worst in football right now": 

• Broncos - Courtland Sutton (Stud), Dasean Hamilton
  • Texans - Will Fuller, Kenny Stills
  • Raiders - Tyrell Williams, Hunter Renfro
  • Patriots - Julian Edelman, Jakobi Meyers 
  • 49s - Deebo Samuel, Kendrick Bourne
  • Eagles - Alshon Jeffery, Desean Jackson 
  • Giants - Sterling Shepard, Golden Tate
  • Redskins - Terry McLaurin (Stud), Kelvin Harmon

I'm not saying Crowder/Perriman are clearly better than any of these pairings, but it's certainly not a forgone conclusion they're worse than all of them. A far more compelling argument can be made that we have the worst OTs in football right now.. 

We signed one definite upgrade (McGovern) to the offensive line. Again, I like Fant and fully expect him to be starting but just because we gave him $9mm doesn't mean he automatically becomes a better player. Let's let them compete before glorifying a player because of his potential/contract. Remember, it's a glorified one year deal, there's no commitment there and thus no absolute reason he has to start. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Hmm.. 

I like the potential of Fant in this new offensive scheme - Doesn't change the fact that he's a career swing tackle. Douglas gave him a glorified 1yr $9mm deal, not exactly a guarantee he'll be starting anywhere, although I do expect him to be our LT. Regardless, we need two OTs. Assuming both Fant/Edoga miraculously have break out seasons is a tad bit optimistic, no? 

You're argument about whoever we draft not being better than Edoga, I mean, c'mon .. Using that logic, who's to say the WR we draft will be better than Perriman? It's ridiculous. Technically you're right, but I'll take my chances. These OT prospects are just as ELITE as these WRs. 

"Our Wrs are the worst in football right now": 

• Broncos - Courtland Sutton (Stud), Dasean Hamilton
  • Texans - Will Fuller, Kenny Stills
  • Raiders - Tyrell Williams, Hunter Renfro
  • Patriots - Julian Edelman, Jakobi Meyers 
  • 49s - Deebo Samuel, Kendrick Bourne
  • Eagles - Alshon Jeffery, Desean Jackson 
  • Giants - Sterling Shepard, Golden Tate
  • Redskins - Terry McLaurin (Stud), Kelvin Harmon

I'm not saying Crowder/Perriman are clearly better than any of these pairings, but it's certainly not a forgone conclusion they're worse than all of them. A far more compelling argument can be made that we have the worst OTs in football right now.. 

We signed one definite upgrade (McGovern) to the offensive line. Again, I like Fant and fully expect him to be starting but just because we gave him $9mm doesn't mean he automatically becomes a better player. Let's let them compete before glorifying a player because of his potential/contract. Remember, it's a glorified one year deal, there's no commitment there and thus no absolute reason he has to start. 

I didn't say that Fant is going to be a better player because they gave him that, I said that they see him as a starter and if you don't believe that you are delusional. They are not drafting a guy to start at LT at pick #11. If they take a OT he will be starting at RT over Edoga and that is the presumption that they feel that Edoga is not a starting caliber player. 

The Jets may feel that Edoga will get better. JEts fans hated BRick when he was a rookie, called him a bust. But I do know our WRs are terrible and we have no one to make defenses fear. If we added a potential #1 WR we could be heading towards Darnold taking a step further.  Without a threat at WR teams are just gonna stack the box and blitz like crazy like last year. 

Nice debate question: which starting unit do you trust more?

OL: Fant, Edoga, Lewis, Van Rotten, McGovern

WR: Perriman, Doctson, Crowder

WR Last Season Played:  

Doctson 44 Rec 532 Yards

Perriman 36 Rec 645 Yards

Crowder 78 Rec 833 Yards

I don’t know. Kind of close. Crowder is a solid number 2 option. The other 2 would be fine as number 3’s or 4’s. They do have pedigree though as both were drafted in the first round. 

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1