Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

It’s extremely difficult trying to predict how a virus plays out. If you make a prediction and it’s not 100% you get blasted for it. It’s why I enjoy this thread. I’m asking out of concern and curiosity.

What are we looking at best and worst case scenario as it pertains to deaths / infections?

I’ll also include best case scenario of us having a vaccine by August 2021.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I've been seeing adds for facemasks on this site. They have the air release valves. Wouldn't those reduce the effectiveness of the masks?

Oh good. So it's not just me who sees these weird ads.

Did anyone mention llamas in this thread yet?

https://www.vpr.org/post/llama-antibodies-neutralize-virus-causes-covid-19-new-research-shows?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR0jUVXqS40dz5RhR_LKVWVxDViEeaa1CxCx_lzSf878F9jV-EUJiDTkrqg&fbclid=IwAR09xcKGYMCKFyk452kgAezbf3U_yQBxVRDCoGJVhW1nUXHRC38xA-dgAHE#stream/0

How confident are you that this could lead to a possible vaccine that could actually eliminate COVID-19?

There is a slight distinction between what we're proposing or reporting here and a vaccine. A vaccine, you would administer a patient something that looks like the virus so that they can raise antibodies in response to that. And then they would be protected if they ever came into contact with the actual infectious agent.

Here we would be directly administering an antibody. So it's more of a treatment than a prophylactic vaccination. That being said, vaccines aren't always super effective in the elderly. They have trouble raising an active immune response. And so we could prophylactically administer this antibody and then they would be protected for several months.

We are actively performing pre-clinical trials, testing for protection in hamsters. If that looks good, we'll move into non-human primates. And if that looks good, we'll begin phase-one clinical testing in humans.

Edit: Shoutout to @rob_shadows!

Edited by Xenos

2 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

Yes. They are. 

I'm sorry, nobody in this thread.  I'm aware there are a bunch of people spreading misinformation out there.  However, the discussion about seasonality in this thread doesn't include anyone suggesting "cases fell today and it was hot today, therefore there's a correlation."  I think we're all well aware there is at least a 2-3 week lag.

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I've been seeing adds for facemasks on this site. They have the air release valves. Wouldn't those reduce the effectiveness of the masks?

Yes, in fact some places won't allow you to wear masks with air release valves because it only filters air breathed in and not air you breath out.

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

More than 60 nations, including all of the EU member nations, are backing Australia's request for an independent probe into the origins of coronavirus.

Another World War would fit right into 2020's pattern at this point. 

• Like 1

I am so ready for this to be over and to not have to wear a damn mask anymore or wait in absurd lines. 

Also because the “meat shortage” isn’t actually a shortage...I got a fantastic deal on a 1/2 cow for this summer...all the smoked meats going down. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am expecting a hurricane up the Chesapeake Bay this year which will destroy my house at this point.  I will only be able to laugh.  

So this is going to be a big problem later this summer. If stores don’t figure out a way to get and stay stocked people are going to lose their minds when hurricane season rolls around on the coastal cities.

• Like 1