Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

3 minutes ago, Glen said:

The argument you guys are making is that.

”We’re bored and sports would be a great thing to get people’s minds off the pandemic. They should be allowed to play if they want. And if they don’t want to play just let them void their contract.”

I'm not bored. 

There is no football without fans. 

I feel the same way about the NBA even though I literally couldn't care less about the NBA. 

MLB could absolutely survive without fans.  So could golf. 

The crowd has zero impact on baseball or golf, but a pretty significant impact, I think, in the NBA and NFL. 

If you've got 70-100 thousand people packing stadiums for the NFL from September to January, especially considering seasonality being a possibility, all you're doing is risking starting this whole thing all over again.

Would suck for older players and older quarterbacks, but if it's a choice between starting this all over again or delaying the start of the football season until May of 2021, you gotta do it. 

It's that or playing without fans.  Period.  Half capacity won't do crap to slow it down.  Maybe you could get away with a 10,000 fan limit or something.  Limit it to in-state fans only.  Clear the sidelines of all but essential players/coaches. 

Still...

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

“If you don’t come into work you’re fired”

Again, if this isn’t being forced to work then I’m not sure what is.

Who’s holding a gun to their heads and telling them to come to work? The people who need it can collect unemployment like hundreds of thousands of other people right now.

So just taking Lambeau Field as an example, the capacity is about 80,000. 

So if you were to cut that down to a max capacity of a tenth of its max capacity, you've got 8,000 fans per game. 

You limit it to in-state only and then you don't have to worry about opposing fanbases taking over a stadium for cheering and such. 

Cordon off entire sections, group ticket limit of 10 people or something and have X amount of seats between fans.  Require masks?  If we got caught up with production, teams could make their own merchandise and masks. 

If you limit it to a tenth of the capacity, maybe the Chargers could get close to selling out. 

I don't know, I just feel like September is too soon to feel safe with having tens of thousands of people in one area. 

I feel like if the NFL goes ahead as normal with fans in the stadium we're just risking another outbreak for no real reason. 

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Do you all draw the line at sports or are you saying that all non essential businesses should stay closed until there is a vaccine?

Vaccine or sharp decreasing risk in spreading/contracting it

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Who’s holding a gun to their heads and telling them to come to work? The people who need it can collect unemployment like hundreds of thousands of other people right now.

Yes and then lose their career because they didn’t want to put their lives(and lives of others) at risk to entertain people.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

So just taking Lambeau Field as an example, the capacity is about 80,000. 

So if you were to cut that down to a max capacity of a tenth of its max capacity, you've got 8,000 fans per game. 

You limit it to in-state only and then you don't have to worry about opposing fanbases taking over a stadium for cheering and such. 

Cordon off entire sections, group ticket limit of 10 people or something and have X amount of seats between fans.  Require masks?  If we got caught up with production, teams could make their own merchandise and masks. 

If you limit it to a tenth of the capacity, maybe the Chargers could get close to selling out. 

I don't know, I just feel like September is too soon to feel safe with having tens of thousands of people in one area. 

I feel like if the NFL goes ahead as normal with fans in the stadium we're just risking another outbreak for no real reason. 

And what do you do to ensure everyone has masks on when they arrive at the gate. Do you force the security personnel to scan everyone in looking for weapons? Do you have ticket takers? What about janitorial staff needing to clean up after all these people?

We’re gonna put their lives at risk to appease the 8000 fans & fans watching at home?

Just now, Glen said:

And what do you do to ensure everyone has masks on when they arrive at the gate. Do you force the security personnel to scan everyone in looking for weapons? Do you have ticket takers? What about janitorial staff needing to clean up after all these people?

We’re gonna put their lives at risk to appease the 8000 fans & fans watching at home?

Hey man, I agree with you to not do it.  Period.  I'm just thinking of what they could do to minimize the risk of spreading it if they decide to do it.

If they do have fans at stadiums in September, I think at a MINIMUM you must do the following:

1. Restrict ticket sales to state locals.  City locals in larger markets. 
2. Restrict capacity down to a maximum of 10% capacity. 
3. Essential coaches, players and employees on the field.
4. Remove at least one ref, replace with a sky judge. 
5. Restrict all access to players.  Press conferences etc can go streaming.  Cut off all access to locker rooms. 

And much, much more.  I do NOT want people traveling just for a football game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Do you all draw the line at sports or are you saying that all non essential businesses should stay closed until there is a vaccine?

A vaccine is nowhere in sight (from what I’ve read anyways maybe someone can cross check me). The economy cannot afford to be shut down until there is one, and if it is, will create a crisis as bad as the one we’re already dealing with, possibly even worse. At some point non-essential businesses are going to need to open back up once the curve is flattened enough. At that point we need to be prepared (ventilators, masks, gloves, cleaning supplies, hydroxychloroquine, etc) and people are just going to have to continue practice social distancing as best as they can and clean/sanitize like they are now. 

• Like 3

Also, the NFL is out of its damn mind if it thinks it's going to quarantine 55 players from 32 teams.  They can't even get NFL players to meet curfew before a game or get to practice on time or use one of the 10,000 resources available to them to avoid DUIs.  If they really think they're going to get 1,760 20-35 year old multi-millionaires to quarantine at a single location for 4 months...

If one player gets it, 5 players got it and so on.  It's better to not start the season at all than it is to start it and find out that this is coming back at the tail end of the regular season. 

Just now, dtait93 said:

A vaccine is nowhere in sight (from what I’ve read anyways maybe someone can cross check me). The economy cannot afford to be shut down until there is one, and if it is, will create a crisis as bad as the one we’re already dealing with, possibly even worse. At some point non-essential businesses are going to need to open back up once the curve is flattened enough. At that point we need to be prepared (ventilators, masks, gloves, cleaning supplies, hydroxychloroquine, etc) and people are just going to have to continue practice social distancing as best as they can and clean/sanitize like they are now. 

Sports is not essential business. 

Professional sports are full of billionaires and multi-millionaires where the minimum salary is hundreds of thousands of dollars.

If anything, the NFL needed this and they need to use this as a way to determine fair streaming rights so that fans can watch which games they want.

In a world with Netflix, Disney+, CBS All Access, Apple Streaming, Prime Video there is no excuse for the NFL to charge 300 dollars for the ability to watch which games fans want to watch for an affordable price.

NFL has to go without fans in attendance, and they have to make it clear that if players risk themselves they risk not playing.  No matter if you're Geronimo Allison or Tom Brady, if you show up with a fever you're sent home and you're not playing. 

That, I think, is the only way the NFL season goes on as planned right now.