Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Doesn't have to be a vaccine - just an appropriate countermeasure that can be prescribed to someone with the disease that will lead to them getting better.

For example, Tamiflu - it's not a vaccine, but it boosts your system to combat any flu you might get. Right now there are a few countermeasures that everyone is relying on with Covid-19, but give me one that is scalable and repeatable - something that an ICU doctor could prescribe and can be administered quickly to someone who is Covid-19 positive.

Give me that, THEN we can focus on who can put a ball in a hoop more than the other guy.

Fortunately we seem to have that already in hydroxychloroquine. Once the curve flattens we couple that with social distancing, sanitation, and wearing gloves and masks when appropriate and then slowly open the non-essential businesses. Those non-essential business are going to start becoming very essential if this goes on much longer.

6 minutes ago, Glen said:

Vaccine or sharp decreasing risk in spreading/contracting it

As previously mentioned.

So a vaccine. Which is going to take over a year to produce. With the millions of non-essential jobs gone, where is the money going to come from for people to live once the government runs out of handouts?

8 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Fortunately we seem to have that already in hydroxychloroquine. Once the curve flattens we couple that with social distancing, sanitation, and wearing gloves and masks when appropriate and then slowly open the non-essential businesses. Those non-essential business are going to start becoming very essential if this goes on much longer.

Fauci was quoted just yesterday that there haven't been nearly enough tests conducted with hydroxychloroquine to form any conclusion on its efficacy.

2 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

So a vaccine. Which is going to take over a year to produce. With the millions of non-essential jobs gone, where is the money going to come from for people to live once the government runs out of handouts?

With millions of people dead how will the economy react?

Just now, Glen said:

Fauci was quoted just yesterday that there haven't been nearly enough tests conducted with hydroxychloroquine to form any conclusion on its efficacy.

And what about the 6,000+ doctors from 30 different countries that rate it the best drug to fight it?

Just now, dtait93 said:

And what about the 6,000+ doctors from 30 different countries that rate it the best drug to fight it?

Kevadon or known as thalidomide was sold & recommended by doctors in Europe & other countries to help women deal with morning sickness.

Dr. Frances Oldham Kelsey demanded more testing to be done & would refuse to give the stamp of approval until further testing was done.

Months/a year(+) later babies being born in Europe/other countries(where Kevadon was being used to treat morning sickness as mentioned) were being born with birth defects.

It is always better to conduct tests rather than operate based on feelings.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

Where are you getting millions of people dying in the US?

When we stop self isolating all that will happen is a rapid spike in confirmed cases & allow the virus to spread even more so.

Thus killing more people. Thus overloading our hospitals, which will in turn kill more people.

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Doesn't have to be a vaccine - just an appropriate countermeasure that can be prescribed to someone with the disease that will lead to them getting better.

For example, Tamiflu - it's not a vaccine, but it boosts your system to combat any flu you might get. Right now there are a few countermeasures that everyone is relying on with Covid-19, but give me one that is scalable and repeatable - something that an ICU doctor could prescribe and can be administered quickly to someone who is Covid-19 positive.

Give me that, THEN we can focus on who can put a ball in a hoop more than the other guy.

But what if there isn't a vaccine or effective therapeutics for a year?  Two years?  Five years? 

Some people seem to be operating under the assumption that we will 'cure' this in the near term and so our best bet is to wait

That may well be true but there are no guarantees

If we get case numbers down similar to what has happened in China and South Korea, IMO, we absolutely need to let people get back to their lives.  People wont and shouldn't stand for the alternative (we all stay in lockdown indefinitely while new cases are few and far between)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, August4th said:

news on what was talked about in that conf call with the sports commissioners and president is leaking out. I would post it but its kind of political

Nothing wrong with posting the information coming from that.  PFT is reporting that they believe the NFL season will start on time, and should be able to have fans in stadiums by August and September.  Granted, I think that's with a lot of fan restrictions, but I could see it trending that way.  As long as we discuss the particulars as it pertains to sports and the science behind if we will be ready or not, we can discuss it.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

But what if there isn't a vaccine or effective therapeutics for a year?  Two years?  Five years? 

I guess we wait on sports. I don't think it'll take that long, but I'm admittedly not educated on such things.

10 minutes ago, mission27 said:

People wont and shouldn't stand for the alternative (we all stay in lockdown indefinitely while new cases are few and far between)

I can agree to this, but - wouldn't "few and far between" grow exponentially by putting 80,000 people into a single building?

13 minutes ago, Glen said:

Kevadon or known as thalidomide was sold & recommended by doctors in Europe & other countries to help women deal with morning sickness.

Dr. Frances Oldham Kelsey demanded more testing to be done & would refuse to give the stamp of approval until further testing was done.

Months/a year(+) later babies being born in Europe/other countries(where Kevadon was being used to treat morning sickness as mentioned) were being born with birth defects.

It is always better to conduct tests rather than operate based on feelings.

More testing? Hydroxychloronique was approved for medical use in the US nearly 70 years ago. It is on the WHO's List of Essential Medicines which if a drug is on that list is considered the most safe and effective medicines. There are no feelings here, only facts. It's a very safe drug according to the professionals and 6,000+ doctors are recommending it in 30 different countries. 

7 minutes ago, Glen said:

When we stop self isolating all that will happen is a rapid spike in confirmed cases & allow the virus to spread even more so.

Thus killing more people. Thus overloading our hospitals, which will in turn kill more people.

What if you were told there would never be a vaccine or cure?  What then?

Do we never live our lives again? 

Lockdowns = brute force public health response that was necessary because this caught us off guard and we weren't ready, they are NOT the long term strategy, they are not a conventional public health response to a pandemic 

There are much smarter, more targeted, identification and containment strategies that we will inevitably need to pursue because people aren't (and shouldn't) accept being told to stay home forever once case numbers fall to a very small % of our communities, and that is going to happen in all likelihood many months if not years before we have a vaccine or effective treatment for coronavirus (best estimates show case numbers falling rapidly in May / June vs. likely mid-next year for a vaccine, if we find one that works)

Its not comfortable and more people will die than the brute force approach forever but we can't all stay home forever hoping for a miracle

46 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Fortunately we seem to have that already in hydroxychloroquine. Once the curve flattens we couple that with social distancing, sanitation, and wearing gloves and masks when appropriate and then slowly open the non-essential businesses. 

We've seen examples of hydroxychloroquine, but would anyone say that's it's a repeatable or scalable? Those are the two big things for me to see in this.