Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

7 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Yes that trial was very encouraging and the main reason people have been talking about hydroxychloroquine for the past few weeks, but there were issues + subsequent trials have been less definitive, its an open question

Sure, but if people who have it are on the verge of dying or are showing no signs of improvement and are headed down that road then you look at the evidence, see that it's showing promise, and try it to hopefully save a life instead of withholding it because, "well not enough testing to know if it'll actually help you, even though the evidence is pointing that way."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen said:

You forgot about Dre

How you didn't include this ruins the joke.

How can I vote for someone who wouldn't drop this in your joke? It's like not knowing where Aleppo is...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

How you didn't include this ruins the joke.

How can I vote for someone who wouldn't drop this in your joke? It's like not knowing where Aleppo is...

ET, some of us work on a higher level of comedy. We don’t need to spell out jokes for everyone. 

21 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Sure, but if people who have it are on the verge of dying or are showing no signs of improvement and are headed down that road then you look at the evidence, see that it's showing promise, and try it to hopefully save a life instead of withholding it because, "well not enough testing to know if it'll actually help you, even though the evidence is pointing that way."

Dont disagree with you.  Like I said I would want to take it if I were sick 

• Like 1

what’s annoying me with media coverage for all countries is that for places that have not yet peaked - ny, italy, and spain most especially here - every day you see “new peak for daily deaths in new york today!”

like yes that’s how exponential curves work this isn’t a surprise

and

ditto when the world cases hit a million, like yeah, if they are 990k yesterday ofc they’re going to hit a million tomorrow

i’m not saying don’t report these, but i do think they should be reported more as a given than as some unexpected development

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

what’s annoying me with media coverage for all countries is that for places that have not yet peaked - ny, italy, and spain most especially here - every day you see “new peak for daily deaths in new york today!”

and

ditto when the world cases hit a million, like yeah, if they are 990k yesterday ofc they’re going to hit a million tomorrow

i’m not saying don’t report these, but i do think they should be reported more as a given than as some unexpected development

Yep

Tbf though Italy and Spain have probably peaked

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pwny said:

ET, some of us work on a higher level of comedy. We don’t need to spell out jokes for everyone. 

Know thy audience... Consider the typical folk posting on this particular website.

• Like 3

4/4/2020 MoL Scores:

"Aint it funny, rumors, lies... and I know you heard about me." - Taylor Swift @France 

Today the MoL is proven right on France and a European country inches closer to Tier 1 status 

Tier 1: Outbreak under control, safe to begin relaxing social distancing measures

China: 1.4 

South Korea: 2.3

Tier 2: New case growth is minimal suggesting social distancing is working, likely a few weeks away from breaking into tier 1

Austria: 4.9 (Austria is knocking on the door of Tier 1 status and as the MoL predicted already talking about easing restrictions)

Australia: 5.2 (the MoL was right, just admit it.  @Shady Slim too )

Italy: 6.1 (Italy stalling out a little bit over the past few days with stable case numbers, one wonders how much of this is catch up)

Hong Kong: 6.4 (another country the MoL was right about, no Wave 2, very promising) 

Switzerland: 6.7 

Germany: 8.7 (Germany jumps into Tier 2, another good day of numbers, already talking about antibody testing there)

Netherlands: 9.2 (single digits!)

Tier 3: Countries in this group that are showing increased MoLs have the potential to go deep into the danger zones, but countries with falling MoLs may only be a couple of days from tier 2 status and may have already peaked in gross # of new cases

Iran: 11.5  (do we believe these numbers?  these are the same people who shot a plane out of the sky and lied about it.  but they look good)

Ireland: 11.9 

Spain: 12.0

Sweden: 12.5 (after a few days of climbing Sweden fell back down today, interesting case study here)

Portugal: 13.2

Belgium: 13.3 (another country stalling out a bit here, unfortunately, still a much better spot than a week ago)

Israel: 14.0 

Global (NEW): 14.1 (no movement vs. yesterday but worth pointing out the France restatement hurt, without that our Global number is down almost a full point)

Japan (NEW): 16.1 (keeps rising but not a bad day today @Malfatron)

Tier 4: Aggressive growth, still likely have not peaked in single day cases, and likely a week or two minimum from peak in deaths (however many of these countries are still slowing down)

USA: 19.0 (New York, Michigan, and Louisiana expected to peak in the next week, lets hope there aren't more major hot spots, we could be breaking into Tier 3 in the not to distant future) 

UK: 19.2 

Canada: 20.6 

Philippines: 21.7

Brazil: 26.4 (Brazil's numbers look pretty constant the last few days, but still a scary rate of growth)

Turkey: 25.0

France: 27.0 (as the MoL predicted, France has had to go back and restate a lot of their numbers, which drops them way down the list... with that being said they do seem to be slowing and should be out of the dog house again in a few days)

India: 51.8 (a scary number for a country of over a billion people, but unlike the USA / Italy / Spain I dont think they will stick here for long, it looks like they picked the right time to do a lockdown) 

MoL.png

The MoL would like to thank everyone for their contributions to this important work

• Like 1

"Chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine are currently recommended for treatment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in several countries. Both chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have known safety profiles...but have been reportedly well-tolerated in COVID-19 patients."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html

"Who can take hydroxychloroquine? Hydroxychloroquine can be prescribed to adults and children of all ages. It can also safely be taken by pregnant women and nursing mothers.

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/resources/pdf/fsp/drugs/hydroxychloroquine.pdf

We know who's at risk (cardiotoxicity with prolonged use in patients with hepatic or renal dysfunction and immunosuppression) and we know it's safe for even the most fragile (children, pregnant and nursing mothers). If the person does indeed have COVID-19 after testing and is not at risk to take the drug, I see no reason not to prescribe it.

Edited by dtait93
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

and

It annoys when they act shocked about the unemployment numbers. That's what happens when a crap ton of business get shut down

4 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Minnesota 

Didn't get a citation or even a warning or anything like that. Cop just wanted to know where he was going at 5:30 in the morning and said stay safe and whatever. Just seems really strange to me that it would even happen. 

Maryland said they won't be pulling people over.  Makes no sense with a shelter in place order, I think those cops are doing the right thing personally.  Although, if they really wanted to enforce people staying home, it would just take the national guard stationed on bridges or major thoroughfares stopping people to make it happen.