Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Yeah but a dose of realism would go a long way for the hypochondriacs of the world.  Like there's really no chance at all the virus is going to escape your neighbors window and float 75' through your open window where you inhale it and catch it.  But because some of out of context report issued a month ago, there are people literally afraid to take a walk down the sidewalk because their neighbor walked through there 15 minutes ago and might have breathed out the virus.

Yeah it's scary stuff, but sometimes i feel like i'm in a 1800's historical novel with people believing in Miasma's again.  

In terms of how urgent problems are, we can focus on keeping food supply chains going and people alive now. We can deal with paranoia later.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In terms of how urgent problems are, we can focus on keeping food supply chains going and people alive now. We can deal with paranoia later.

Ok.  But why not both?

13 minutes ago, theJ said:

Yeah but a dose of realism would go a long way for the hypochondriacs of the world.  Like there's really no chance at all the virus is going to escape your neighbors window and float 75' through your open window where you inhale it and catch it.  But because some of out of context report issued a month ago, there are people literally afraid to take a walk down the sidewalk because their neighbor walked through there 15 minutes ago and might have breathed out the virus.

Yeah it's scary stuff, but sometimes i feel like i'm in a 1800's historical novel with people believing in Miasma's again.  

you should feel like youre in 1918, believing in the power of a disease that gets introduced to a population with no natural defenses built up

2 minutes ago, mistakey said:

you should feel like youre in 1918, believing in the power of a disease that gets introduced to a population with no natural defenses built up

I agree with you there.  And i've said time and time again that this thing is no joke.  But it's not 1918.  Our world is better equipped to distance ourselves.  A large portion of our population can work from home effectively.  Modern medicine is much better than 1918.  There are reasons to be optimistic.  And i don't understand or agree with publishing fear narratives to keep people from doing safe things.  I don't believe that's helpful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

I agree with you there.  And i've said time and time again that this thing is no joke.  But it's not 1918.  Our world is better equipped to distance ourselves.  A large portion of our population can work from home effectively.  Modern medicine is much better than 1918.  There are reasons to be optimistic.  And i don't understand or agree with publishing fear narratives to keep people from doing safe things.  I don't believe that's helpful.

we dont have the medicine to deal with this currently... yet. 
ive never advocated for publishing "fear" narratives.  ya'll think im doing that cause you think im too pessimistic, but im all for people going outside.  open the beaches open the parks, etc.  but the real news is scary.  unfortunately, its real though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mission27 said:

@seriously27

Interesting article...

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/asu-ast050420.php

these are the sort of mutations I'd personally have expected to be  more prevalent in the population of cases because of natural selection factors

That is interesting. Seeing a deletion that large and still having viable protein code is pretty amazing. 

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

You know in that scenario you don't have to go out right, you can stay home and not risk infecting anyone else...not everyone has the same concerns/situation/etc. 

Again

You go out to crowded bars because you’re not concerned. You get the virus. But ultimately are fine.

We work together where you give me the virus unintentionally while you’re asymptomatic.

I go home and give the virus to grandma despite staying home as best I can & limiting my social interactions.

Grandma dies.

womp womp

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

So... If I'm reading this correctly this mutation is a weaker stain of the virus correct?

So my question is... Is it possible to intentionally make that strain of the virus become the dominant strain? Meaning we intentionally spread the weaker strain and try to phase out the stronger strains?

I honestly have no idea if that's possible or not so I'm genuinely curious.

Unfortunately it wouldn't work for a couple reasons;

The main reason being that the dominant strain at this time is already out there. Its already infected who knows how many people, so even if pushing another virus strain was ethical(and I think that's probable a no?) it would never be able to catch up.

And second, having antibodies for one strain of this virus doesn't necessarily make you immune to both strains. A change in protein structure or receptor structure specifically could actually change the way the antibodies react to the virus and could cause you to become sick again from the different virus strain.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Glen said:

Again

You go out to crowded bars because you’re not concerned. You get the virus. But ultimately are fine.

We work together where you give me the virus unintentionally while you’re asymptomatic.

I go home and give the virus to grandma despite staying home as best I can & limiting my social interactions.

Grandma dies.

womp womp

Screw your grandma, man. I wanna go out to a bar and drink. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D82 said:

Dang, Imma go hug my grandma now. brb

Actually no that would be irresponsible.

I'm gonna text her.

Edited by JoshstraDaymus
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, D82 said:

Fair.

I do need a haircut 

• Like 1

So with all this rushing for a vaccine, multiple companies saying they could be ready by the end of the year, etc... It's left me with one glaring question.

Do we really wanna be taking a vaccine that's been rushed through development? We will have absolutely no idea if it has any negative long term effects.

Has this ever happened before? A vaccine being pushed out before it could be properly tested for potential long term effects and such?

• Like 1