Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

12 minutes ago, mission27 said:

18 cases in NYC would be a drop in the bucket and will remain a drop in the bucket until there is a vaccine or herd immunity.  We are never getting anywhere near South Korea numbers.

It's going to ve interesting to monitor these clustered outbreaks compared to say Sweden in the coming months. Sweden *should* have less clustered outbreaks since more of their population will likely have immunity.  

The great sunday data dump. Free articles:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/28/what-you-need-know-about-coronavirus/?arc404=true

Should be free:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20200510&instance_id=18372&nl=the-morning&regi_id=127802529&segment_id=27142&te=1&user_id=0ec3b530f45ff5c070e34ae9b6fc8ea1

Not free:

FDA issues emergency approval of new antigen test that is cheaper, faster and simpler

Health-care providers will soon be able to deploy at scale a simpler, faster and cheaper diagnostic test for the novel coronavirus, a major development in the nation’s ability to detect and treat covid-19, the disease caused by the virus, as states move to reopen. The new type of coronavirus screening, an antigen test manufactured by Quidel Corp., was granted emergency authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Friday night. Antigen tests are a common screening tool that doctors use for other infections, such as influenza or strep throat, but this is the first antigen test specific to the coronavirus. It is conducted by a nasal swab and immediately tested in the doctor’s office or other point-of-care location, producing diagnostic results within minutes by quickly detecting proteins found on or within the virus. In a statement announcing the emergency authorization of Quidel Corp.’s kit, the FDA said that antigen tests are cheaper to produce, simpler to conduct and easier to implement at scale than the current testing apparatus, which has relied on polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests that detect genetic material from the virus.  Quidel Corp. said that its test, called the Sofia 2 SARS Antigen FIA, can produce results within 15 minutes. The test cartridges can be placed in its Sofia 2 machine or manually developed on a countertop. Quidel is already shipping the test kits to customers, the company said in a statement. Though rapid detection PCR tests have been used around the country, they are still more expensive and complex than the new test, experts say. 

The FDA has authorized three different tests to help detect, diagnose and track the spread of the novel coronavirus: the antigen test, the PCR test and an antibody screening, which, unlike the first two tests, does not diagnose an active case of the virus but detects antibodies to it, which signal that the person was previously infected and has developed an immune response.

Put together, the three tests could offer a path forward for more widespread and thorough screening as Americans nationwide prepare to navigate safe returns to their jobs and the reopening of amenities that will place them in close contact with others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/05/09/fda-issues-emergency-approval-new-antigen-test-that-is-cheaper-faster-simpler/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:
35 minutes ago, mission27 said:

18 cases in NYC would be a drop in the bucket and will remain a drop in the bucket until there is a vaccine or herd immunity.  We are never getting anywhere near South Korea numbers.

It's going to ve interesting to monitor these clustered outbreaks compared to say Sweden in the coming months. Sweden *should* have less clustered outbreaks since more of their population will likely have immunity.  

Perhaps, but even if they do have just as many clusters, you aren't going to see it reported because Sweden will continue to have a large number of cases overall in the community. 

UK has (temporarily, but soon to be permanently) overtaken Italy as the third hardest hit country behind the US and Spain.  Will likely overtake Spain before this is all said and done.

Of course, long term, countries like Brazil and India may very well overtake us all.  Developing countries are f'd.

Edited by mission27

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Yeah normally I just go on my phone or my laptop and it’s just white noise. This is overkill though. All the commercials are about it, radio ads, ads on apps, billboards, social media... just trying to escape it where I can. It’s really starting to piss me off idk lol

My company's CEO put together a similar letter and asked us to send it out to our customers. 

I didn't send it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Italy reported under 1k cases today it’s lowest number since before lockdown began in early March 

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/05/coronavirus-italy-reopening-milan-lockdown.html

Italy's population is about 1/5 the US and they peaked at about 1/5 the US peak number of cases

Italy peaked in new cases around March 21-28 and the US peaked around April 24th 

So this would be like us getting down to ~5k cases a day by the second week of June.  I think thats possible tbh

31 minutes ago, theJ said:

My company's CEO put together a similar letter and asked us to send it out to our customers. 

I didn't send it. 

Yeah I'm thankful that my company hasn't done any of that kind of stuff.  They said all social media should be right now is information about hours, menus, safety and service only, as well as us responding to things within our community.  They were specific in saying not to advertise what we are doing, but to let it organically come up through the communities if it comes up at all.  They are running national ads but it's all community stuff that isn't involving coronavirus.  

• Like 1

Current COVID-19 problem areas in North America, from most to least concerning:

1. Montreal Metro

2. Washington DC Metro

3. Minneapolis St Paul Metro

Now, all three of the above regions were initially doing very well and leaders in those regions got a lot of praise in March and early April for their response.  This is partly just an "every region is going to peak at a different time" situation.  However, I do think seasonality is playing a role.  Here is a map of temps in those regions, if anyone is curious why they are struggling:

image.png

The south and west are now firmly in the 70s and above most days while the north and northeast, including eastern Canada, are right smack in the middle of the danger zone.  Places like NYC and now to a lesser extent Boston and Chicago are coming out of it, because they had an earlier outbreak and therefore earlier peak, but not surprising to see some of our other metros that are still experiencing winter and cool spring climates struggling.  Hopefully we see a major slowdown in these regions over the next 60-90 days (even Quebec will start to hit 70s come June).

Bowing to popular demand, below is the MoLs first forecast of US coronavirus deaths through the end of July:

image.png

Per our forecast, the US would hit ~120,000 deaths by the end of July.  IHME is projecting a little over 130,000 deaths, we are in the same ballpark.  

This forecast does not account for a potential wave 2, which the MoL expects will not be perceptible in the reported figures until late summer at the earliest.

This forecast also does not account for any changes in reporting criteria (e.g. if Florida were to go back and count deaths from non-residents). 

Our model has not been subject to peer review. 

• Like 2

Leading members of the White House coronavirus taskforce have placed themselves in quarantine after contact with someone who had tested positive for COVID-19.

Director of the CDC Dr. Robert Redfield, FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, and Dr. Anthony Fauci all going into quarantine.

Source

For those wondering about their upcoming testimonies before the Senate:

All three men are scheduled to testify before a Senate committee on Tuesday. Senator Lamar Alexander, the chairman of the panel, said the White House will allow Redfield and Hahn to testify by videoconference, a one-time exception to the administration's policies on hearing testimony. The statement was issued before Fauci's quarantine was announced.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Director of the CDC Dr. Robert Redfield, FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, and Dr. Anthony Fauci all going into quarantine.

Source

For those wondering about their upcoming testimonies before the Senate:

What are they testifying about?