Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

7 minutes ago, mistakey said:

maybe im thinking too highly of them and they dont know better 

The core of the issue that they don't see any harm.  It's full of disclaimers, and isn't being pushed as medical advice.

You (and a select few others) think that the information could be taken as medical advice, if only bits and pieces of it are read or taken out of context.

That's the disconnect. 

My suggestion is to make a suggestion that isn't "stop posting".  Then maybe we can move past this.  Otherwise, we'll just keep coming back to ^^^.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

My personal beef with the masks is:  I just don't like it.  I also don't like not being able to turn at all red lights, go over the speed limit if I have a car equipped to do so, etc.  I think you get where I am coming from, no actual basis I just like to do what I want...like a child with a beard.  

My logical beef with the masks is: Mask vs "face covering" drives me nuts.  Unless everyone was walking around with N95 masks that were perfectly secured to their face, then I would be ok...but you get...people wearing a bandanna (useless), people not covering their nose or constantly touching the mask (counterproductive), people who mask clearly doesn't fit (useless) and people like me, beard = no seal.  There is a reason in certain hospital settings or surgery settings, everyone is geared up and not just 50% of the people, 50% of the people isn't going to cut it, has to be all or might as well be none. 

Why are bandanas useless? Wouldn't they do a decent job stopping water droplets?

31 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Not likely to pass it on to someone else because you are far away from them, then sure why wear a mask, but I dont think anyone is suggesting wear a mask when you are by yourself or around people you are otherwise having regular social contact with

Maybe I'm reading to much into what people are saying about wearing masks

3 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Why are bandanas useless? Wouldn't they do a decent job stopping water droplets?

Maybe, but whey don't they wear bandannas during surgeries? In isolation rooms? With patients with severe autoimmune or other illnesses? I a know I am in the minority on this, and I wear my mask because I have to, I just think some of this guidance is foolish.  

Just now, acowboys62 said:

Maybe, but whey don't they wear bandannas during surgeries? In isolation rooms? With patients with severe autoimmune or other illnesses? I a know I am in the minority on this, and I wear my mask because I have to, I just think some of this guidance is foolish.  

I mean, don't people in those settings generally wear surgical masks?  So idk why they'd need bandannas tbh

35 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Not likely to pass it on to someone else because you are far away from them, then sure why wear a mask, but I dont think anyone is suggesting wear a mask when you are by yourself or around people you are otherwise having regular social contact with

Swing by NJ...you got people wearing masks while running, biking, I am looking out at my window and me neighbors are in their backyards with masks on, probably 30% of the cars you see on the road, person driving has a mask.  Maybe no one suggested these silly things, but somehow people interpreted that way. 

Just now, acowboys62 said:

I imagine there are airborne pathogens that could be passed on during surgery which isn't what the face coverings are meant to stop

2 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

No one is saying that a bandanna is perfect, but there's plenty of room for incremental improvement between not wearing a mask at all and wearing state of the art sterilization equipment.

• Like 9

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No one is saying that a bandanna is perfect, but there's plenty of room for incremental improvement between not wearing a mask at all and wearing state of the art sterilization equipment.

Was about to say something like that

Just now, mission27 said:

I mean, don't people in those settings generally wear surgical masks?  So idk why they'd need bandannas tbh

That kind of my point, they wear a specific type of masks that is proven to do its job.  We the public are being told to wear just anything to cover our face because it may or may not help.  Some people have legit masks, some have a t shirt, others have cigarette holes apparently (I still can't get over that). 

Maybe masks help, maybe they don't, maybe I am missing the point of them.  I can't really share the analogy I have because it involves another taboo topic and clearly there are easily offended people here.

I guess I should also say, I am in NO WAY advocating people no wear a masks or do anything against what your local government or CDC are advising you to do as I don't want the wrath of a certain someone to say I killed a fellow poster.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Agreed 100% but there are also 100s of other things the government could get off their *** and take care off that would also save lives and help millions.  I guess that is my problem right there? They pick something easy they can currently leverage and force it upon people and continue to ignore the hundreds of other issues we have and hope no one notices?  Less of an issue with the masks I guess and more of an issue with our crappy *** government. 

14 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

That kind of my point, they wear a specific type of masks that is proven to do its job.  We the public are being told to wear just anything to cover our face because it may or may not help.  Some people have legit masks, some have a t shirt, others have cigarette holes apparently (I still can't get over that). 

Maybe masks help, maybe they don't, maybe I am missing the point of them.  I can't really share the analogy I have because it involves another taboo topic and clearly there are easily offended people here.

I guess I should also say, I am in NO WAY advocating people no wear a masks or do anything against what your local government or CDC are advising you to do as I don't want the wrath of a certain someone to say I killed a fellow poster.

The general consensus from all nations that have been doing a lot of studies in the past couple months seems to be that masks do not stop You from contracting the disease, but they do stop YOU from passing it on if you already have it. And because  there have been so many asymptomatic carriers of this virus, it makes sense to just tell anyone who goes into a business or area that will be shared by a lot people to just wear a mask. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, seriously27 said:

The general consensus from all nations that have been doing a lot of studies in the past couple months seems to be that masks do not stop You from contracting the disease, but they do stop YOU from passing it on if you already have it. And because  there have been so many asymptomatic carriers of this virus, it makes sense to just tell anyone who goes into a business or area that will be shared by a lot people to just wear a mask. 

Bingo. Watching people argue that masks don't keep them safe is entertaining.

No duh, Karen - it's not protecting you from the Rona, it's protecting others from you.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Agreed 100% but there are also 100s of other things the government could get off their *** and take care off that would also save lives and help millions.  I guess that is my problem right there? They pick something easy they can currently leverage and force it upon people and continue to ignore the hundreds of other issues we have and hope no one notices?  Less of an issue with the masks I guess and more of an issue with our crappy *** government. 

Telling people to wear masks seems pretty harmless compared to a lot of the other things that the government could do or have been doing