Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I meant anti mask folks, you’re not one of them are you?

Ha, no.  Just mis-understood you.  I feel very naked in public without a mask now.

A few weeks ago i was an hour away from home at my in-laws and went to the local gas station to pick up subway.  I had forgotten my mask at home.  I felt very very very uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

No, not the same thing as a recommendation vs a mandate is different.

Until one kid gets an exemption due to religious freedom or asthma.  Mask mandates for 8 hours a day will not work.  As soon as one kid faints or another kid gets away with it or an entire group hates it and decides not to do it...

Then the cafeteria.  What good will masks do in classrooms if an entire cafeteria has their mask off to eat? 

Expecting masks to be used in schools is the single most laughable expectation imaginable.  It will not work.  It will not happen.  Schools reopening is a terrible idea. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Until one kid gets an exemption due to religious freedom or asthma.  Mask mandates for 8 hours a day will not work.  As soon as one kid faints or another kid gets away with it or an entire group hates it and decides not to do it...

they aren’t making them wear them for 8 hours here.

*requesting* they be worn in hallways, at lockers, restrooms, when up around at class.  Don’t have to wear them at their desks.  That’s not a huge ask tbh.

Mandated on the bus.

Then the cafeteria.  What good will masks do in classrooms if an entire cafeteria has their mask off to eat? 

They’re going to have to spread them out.  Still not a great option,

Expecting masks to be used in schools is the single most laughable expectation imaginable.  It will not work.  It will not happen.  Schools reopening is a terrible idea. 

I couldn’t agree more.

42 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What I’m asking is why can’t they mandate them as part of the dress code?  It would seem to be the same thing.

So many of these recommendations and mandates aren’t possible, such as class size, cafeteria, electives like band, etc., they can’t legally cherry pick them. I’ll still have 30 kids per class and we will still have 800+ kids in all 3 lunch periods, not to mention exceptions for asthma, religion, and fighting lawsuits from angry parents. I’m just saying why/what will happen, not what should happen.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 7:29 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The entire economic fallout of this has convinced me that not being a landlord is the right decision for basically everyone. No sense in dealing with the stress of being that leveraged when the S&P 500 is near an all time high.

Perfect time to become a landlord imo 

Or at least it will be, come winter time if things get as bad as some suggest. It will mean motivated sellers. If you bake in the risk associated with tenant default, and can weather a 2-3 year storm, there is a lot of potential upside 

Real estate is the best way to build long term wealth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Or at least it will be, come winter time if things get as bad as some suggest. It will mean motivated sellers. If you bake in the risk associated with tenant default, and can weather a 2-3 year storm, there is a lot of potential upside 

If you've got the cash lying around, sure.  I certainly wouldn't pull a mortgage for a rental right now (or ever, really, but especially not now).

Just now, N4L said:

I am strongly considering buying a second house right now and renting out my first house to my mom and sister.  I would definitely one hundred percent NOT rent out a house to someone I did not know very well right now. 

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

I'd have to go from having zero debt to leveraging tons of debt, I'd have to actively work to fix things or destroy my profit margin by subcontracting to an apartment management service, etc. etc. etc. 

I'll take 7-10% a year to sit on my butt every time tbh.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I am strongly considering buying a second house right now and renting out my first house to my mom and sister.  I would definitely one hundred percent NOT rent out a house to someone I did not know very well right now. 

On the other hand, it's really hard to evict your mom and sister if things turn south.

• Like 1

Just now, theJ said:

On the other hand, it's really hard to evict your mom and sister if things turn south.

I'm insincere and unsympathetic and a hypocrite, remember? 

Jokes aside, I wouldn't do it unless I could afford both mortgages on my own.  By January, I will be able to. 

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'd have to go from having zero debt to leveraging tons of debt, I'd have to actively work to fix things or destroy my profit margin by subcontracting to an apartment management service, etc. etc. etc. 

I'll take 7-10% a year to sit on my butt every time tbh.

lol I always hear the bolded and you are looking at it the wrong way. you would have some debt, but you would also have an asset. your equity position in the property will increase over time as the tenants pay your mortgage. Even if the property gains no value and you have zero cash flow, if you sell in 10 years you will have more money than you started with

SFR can be liabilities, because they dont actually generate income, but you guys are acting like receiving rent every month that pays your mortgage, all expenses and then some is some big liability that will hang over your head. it wont. I specifically said to bake in the risk of non-payment by giving yourself a lot of breathing room on the cash flow.

My aunt bought 3 houses in a bad, bad area in 09, 10, 11. She sold them all in 2019 and traded into a 7 unit apartment building in a good area. She now makes 5.5k per month after expenses (and taxes!) to sit on her butt and have someone else deal with potential issues. thats like 66k per year after taxes. Her initial investment in the three homes was something like 175k combined (she was leveraged, and locked in super low interest rates).  

Im just saying that ''the S&P being at an all time high after being propped up by the fed during a recession" is not really a good reason to be complacent. Diversity is important and you will never outlive your money if you own investment real estate

just my .02 take it for what its worth

• Like 1