Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Is there any data anywhere on how people who have it are getting it?  I’d like to feel safer if the vast majority are getting it after going to packed places.  I know there’s not concrete data on where they get it, but has there been any data such as, “X percent claim to have been to large social gathering” before getting infected?

2 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

Are there any anti-science/anti maskers in this thread?  I can't recall a person here say that openly. 

I think it's a slippery political slope, but that's it.  I've been wearing mine, probably more than necessary.  I went to the driving range today and wore mine to and from the car, and unmasked when I was hitting.  I made sure I was far enough away from everyone and outside of the canopy.  

The more anti-mask stuff I am seeing from people right now, the more I have to shake my head.  Someone mentioned earlier today that they have an anti-mask group in their county.  I wouldn't be surprised to see one where I'm at.  Also, I can't imagine our teachers wanting to go back without kids wearing masks.  I work 8 hours a day walking around and doing quite a bit, kids are probably going to have to do the same.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Is there any data anywhere on how people who have it are getting it?  I’d like to feel safer if the vast majority are getting it after going to packed places.  I know there’s not concrete data on where they get it, but has there been any data such as, “X percent claim to have been to large social gathering” before getting infected?

This is called contact tracing, and was considered an essential part of re-opening. The federal government has elected not to gather this data.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is called contact tracing, and was considered an essential part of re-opening. The federal government has elected not to gather this data.

Are there any states who are not doing contact tracing?  I know Maryland has just hired some folks, and I know certain businesses/organizations like our local churches are getting names of everyone attending.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Are there any states who are not doing contact tracing?  I know Maryland has just hired some folks, and I know certain businesses/organizations like our local churches are getting names of everyone attending.  

I know some states and people/businesses are trying to, but from everything I've read on it you would need the feds to do it effectively since it requires so much man power. And you'd need the fed to aggregate all of the data so you can analyze the trends anyway.

• Like 2

The anti-mask groups I can understand.  I don't agree with them, but I can understand them.  It's the people who make fun of/chastise/berate people who wear masks that I don't understand.

If you somehow think a mask is harmful because you've chosen to believe bad science, fine, I get that, you're making a decision for yourself.  Kinda like someone trusting a Nigerian prince who picked you instead of 7 billion other people, but whatever.

That's the crux of why this whole thing is so difficult right now.  Just the pure hot rage everywhere.  It's sickening.  Not only this, but other things going on, there's no middle ground.  There's no you do you I'll do me.  It's either with or against, friend or enemy.  And I get that mask people have every right to be upset at anti-mask people.  I do, I get it, but... I don't know.  You're right to hate, but... I don't even know what I'm getting at. 

There's just no discussion at all.  It's inflammatory accusations and insults instead of discussion.  That's not good.  Historically, well, it's frightening.  It all adds up to things worse than a pandemic coming to the country or the world, and I want no part of that and if I win the lottery I'm getting TFO and going to the isolated woods of Maine. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I know some states and people/businesses are trying to, but from everything I've read on it you would need the feds to do it effectively since it requires so much man power. And you'd need the fed to aggregate all of the data so you can analyze the trends anyway.

HIPPA laws also make it really difficult to gather that data. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

HIPPA laws also make it really difficult to gather that data. 

That was my primary concern with how this works at the start of all of this. 

Now its whether or not people will comply.  If they refuse to wear masks, most of them won't give a contract tracing person the time of day. 

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That was my primary concern with how this works at the start of all of this. 

Now its whether or not people will comply.  If they refuse to wear masks, most of them won't give a contract tracing person the time of day. 

Yep and good luck getting people who won't wear masks to self-isolate either.

48 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Not that I know. My aunt got it from going to physical therapy and I had a friend get exposed to it yesterday (no results yet) and he’s an EMT. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Is there any data anywhere on how people who have it are getting it?

I just love these two pictures.
Shows how aerosols are spread and how we all breathe each other's air - which is what makes a respiratory virus so wicked

First is a small group - which one of them gave it to the others ? Its only a few people, but they are really close
Second is a large group, which one of them infected everybody else ?

FreezerBowlV%2Bpittsburgh%2Bsteelers%2Bn

ice-bowl-2-650.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

Yeah, I jumped in the lion exhibit at the zoo because the sign warning me of the dangers was bull**** because I watched Lion King and know how lions really be.

It’s the people shocked and incredulous with the stupidity that are the real headscratchers.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Yeah, I jumped in the lion exhibit at the zoo because the sign warning me of the dangers was bull**** because I watched Lion King and know how lions really be.

It’s the people shocked and incredulous with the stupidity that are the real headscratchers.

You’re a delight.  

• Like 1

I hope some of y’all put this much energy into doing actual good things in your lives and communities as you do focused on a group of people doing something you don’t like. Worrying about stuff stuff (people in this case) cannot be good for you.