Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I wish i could calm down for 10 minutes and actually spend some time with music.  I've always had a dream to be able to play piano, but realistically i'll never allot the time. 

What instruments do you play?

I play guitar, mandolin, a little piano, harmonica, some bass guitar (like enough to hold chord changes), and tenor sax. I also sing and write all of the lyrics and arrangements. My band is finishing up our first full record, but we had to take a 4 month break because of Covid. We just got back into the studio last week for the first time since February.

Music has always been the best therapy for me - listening or playing. I've really focused on slide guitar technique while i've been cooped up. I'm still somewhere between "he sucks" and "he's not very good" on the slide, but I'm at least able to suck confidently now haha.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My mom picked it up as her first instrument at 60, and didn't half *** it either. She knows how to write/read sheet music, music theory, etc.. You never know man.

Someday baby, someday.  Life is too damn short, i tell you.  I need to get busy retiring so i can do all the things i want to do.

8 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I play guitar, mandolin, a little piano, harmonica, some bass guitar (like enough to hold chord changes), and tenor sax. I also sing and write all of the lyrics and arrangements. My band is finishing up our first full record, but we had to take a 4 month break because of Covid. We just got back into the studio last week for the first time since February.

Music has always been the best therapy for me - listening or playing. I've really focused on slide guitar technique while i've been cooped up. I'm still somewhere between "he sucks" and "he's not very good" on the slide, but I'm at least able to suck confidently now haha.

I'm impressed.

My school started band at 5th grade.  My first choice of instrument was sax, but the instructor thought my hands were too small.  So i went the trumpet route.  I've always regretted it because in my school, if you learned a woodwind, you also got to learn a brass instrument too because there were no woodwinds in the marching band.  So i could have learned sax and trumpet.

Have you guys released any albums?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I'm impressed.

My school started band at 5th grade.  My first choice of instrument was sax, but the instructor thought my hands were too small.  So i went the trumpet route.  I've always regretted it because in my school, if you learned a woodwind, you also got to learn a brass instrument too because there were no woodwinds in the marching band.  So i could have learned sax and trumpet.

I feel like there’s half a dozen jokes in here, but I’m not gonna go hunting for them.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I'm impressed.

We have a 4 song ep/demo and a single for this album out in the wild. 

I loved marching band. My high school marched in the Rose Parade and that was one of the coolest experiences in my life. We did parades, field shows, and then concert band in the winter.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol opening these schools up is going to be a disaster.

My only hope and prayer at the moment is that a few schools other than my kids school get the first outbreak (which will subsequently shut down other schools in short order, i hope).  

Basically i'm selfishly looking out for my family.  But i don't see any other way out of this madness than everyone learning a hard lesson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

My only hope and prayer at the moment is that a few schools other than my kids school get the first outbreak (which will subsequently shut down other schools in short order, i hope).  

Basically i'm selfishly looking out for my family.  But i don't see any other way out of this madness than everyone learning a hard lesson.

You’re not wrong.

I get not everyone has the ability to have kids stay home, and it’s not ideal for them either, but there’s no way what they’re describing is going to work well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What discussion do you want?  There’s no data or science that backs anything that anti mask people at all.  Should we be arguing facts with feelings and accepting both as equal and valid?

More explanation, less insults.  That’s entirely what I’m getting at.  You’re not going to convince any of these people to start wearing masks through hostility.  None.  With literally anything, nobody’s mind has ever changed on an issue by yelling at them.  Throughout history, threats, insults and yelling has never convinced anyone of anything ever.  THAT is the crux of my point.  

Anger IS acceptable.  I literally said that in the post you quoted.  I literally said it’s okay and understandable to hate those people.  I literally acknowledged anti-maskers are bad and should be hated.

It’s like what I imagine having a kid is like.  If you yell at them to turn their music down while you’re driving, all it’s going to do is make them more upset, but if you explain to them you’re trying to concentrate blah blah blah...

Take Facebook.  If they post a video of masks being bad for your health, you can do one of two things: You can say, “You’re an idiot, this has been debunked here, here and here.”  That will embolden them to either block you, ignore you, or send them on a Google hunt for more bad science that confirms their idea.  Or, you could say, “That’s really interesting.  The same thing has been brought up here, here and here.  But what’s really interesting is here x 100, they say the opposite.”

A lot of people have resorted to ranting and insults.  That does not work.  

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Honestly i see two lost causes here.  I see people on one side who refuse to wear a mask because of "political reasons".  I see people on the other side who refuse to talk to the "others" because they see them as being too hard headed and not listening to facts.

Both sides need to get over themselves and talk to each other like people.  It would solve a lot of problems.

Yeah, I should jump in the lion exhibit to use the marketplace of ideas to debate the person who just jumped in on the merits of reading the danger sign.