Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, little kids don’t do well keeping body secretions in their body or their hands to themselves.

I'm commenting on what we've seen in literature reports so far. Identifying documented transmission from young kids has been very hard to do, and there are a variety of things that could influence that.

58 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Why are we comparing this to the flu?

This isn’t the flu.

I’ve seen people compare it to tuberculosis too.  At least the flu people decided to go with another virus, I guess.

37 minutes ago, Daniel said:

But...but..death rates.

This is the big fallacy with people advocating for reopening.  If it were just that some small percentage would die, and there was no other effect, you have an argument, at least if that number is as small as some say (which I'm bearish on).

The bigger problem isn't that it's half a percent die and the other 99.whatever percent are fine.  Because there's still the what, 5% that will have to be hospitalized for serious complications, with half or so of them having permanent problems as a result.  That number gets way bigger when you include the fact that with hospitals filled to capacity, you then get way more deaths from ordinarily treatable and non-lethal things, like heart attacks, strokes, diabetic comas, etc.  Which aren't reported in Covid numbers.

Then there's the fact that schools reopening are guaranteeing a hotbed for outbreaks to spread from.  Exponentially.

Lastly, there's the fact that if you re-open, you're going all in on staying open whether there are sick kids there or not.  Because if you open while being willing to close for outbreaks, you're essentially guaranteeing closure of all schools by about a month later.

I mean, what about all the qualitative harm?  The harm that we cannot quantify in numbers.

I’m not comparing COVID to anything here, but the experience identifies the issue.  One of my best friends committed suicide in high school, and our friend group was rocked to the core, and it sticks with us to this day.  The eternal question reverberates:  “What could I have done?”  As if I am responsible.

There is no statistic on “those indirectly affected by X,” and it is exponential.  And we are going to put those deaths and debilitating injuries on the conscience of children.

12 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm commenting on what we've seen in literature reports so far. Identifying documented transmission from young kids has been very hard to do, and there are a variety of things that could influence that.

I’m sure schools, daycares, etc being closed this whole time plays a hell of a factor here.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m sure schools, daycares, etc being closed this whole time plays a hell of a factor here.

For sure, we just don't know how much.

It's anecdotal and only applies to other illnesses like colds and w/e, but i've noted before that my kids haven't gotten so much as a runny nose in the last four months.  That's never happened before.  Usually one of them gets something every month or so.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

It's anecdotal and only applies to other illnesses like colds and w/e, but i've noted before that my kids haven't gotten so much as a runny nose in the last four months.  That's never happened before.  Usually one of them gets something every month or so.

Yeah the two ways to measure this that I could think of are:

1. Keep track of everyone's total interactions so that we can see if lower transmission from children is because they are not spreading it or because they are not encountering enough people to spread it.

2. Your way. Calculate transmissions for a bunch of other diseases, compare them to historical data, and then use that as a correction factor. That should be way easier.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

6 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Its a nice personality trait. I think I'll start partaking.

cheetos-timeline.png

I'm really disappointed in the Cheetos lack of invention over the last 7 years.  Did they give up after Pepsi flavored Cheetos?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Do you always just post articles or charts with zero context or explanation?

You were late to the party, yea, basically just been sharing links for the entire 600+ pages. Surely you can't have an issue with that?

1 minute ago, acowboys62 said:

You were late to the party, yea, basically just been sharing links for the entire 600+ pages. Surely you can't have an issue with that?

It just does nothing to help the conversation tbh. Especially when it’s abundantly clear what his stance is but he doesn’t want to discuss it.