Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

I agree with the sentiment here. The purpose of a stimulus package is to reinvigorate the economy because there is a lack of demand. That is not the problem today. 

The problem today is that its not safe for ~10% of Americans to go to work, and we need those people to stay afloat. That means an expanded unemployment safety net that I'd be happy to pay my part for since it's worth way more to the American taxpayer to have a hairstylist stay home right now than to go to work and infect people.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I agree with the sentiment here. The purpose of a stimulus package is to reinvigorate the economy because there is a lack of demand. That is not the problem today. 

The problem today is that its not safe for ~10% of Americans to go to work, and we need those people to stay afloat. That means an expanded unemployment safety net that I'd be happy to pay my part for since it's worth way more to the American taxpayer to have a hairstylist stay home right now than to go to work and infect people.

I agree with you but tbf there's no reason hair salons need to be closed. The masking and other measures have worked very well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/health/coronavirus-hair-salon-masks.html

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I agree with you but tbf there's no reason hair salons need to be closed. The masking and other measures have worked very well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/health/coronavirus-hair-salon-masks.html

Salons here are an example. I just wanted to pick a job that pretty much everyone agrees as "valuable, but non-essential".

That said, I'm going to try and learn from a mistake here. We had reports of kids with triple digit encounters that didn't spread COVID, and then larger analyses debunked that idea .I'm not saying salons are unsafe with masks, but we need stronger data than that IMO. 

(This is where if the fed had started doing contact tracing we'd be able to get a much better picture, which is a shame tbh because I'd really like a decent haircut.)

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

3 lots of plasma taken and now I have no antibodies apparently. In the space of a month they've gone from a high level to zero. The ****ers milked me of it.

I had the thing until around 12 April. So about 3 months of antibodies.

28 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

3 lots of plasma taken and now I have no antibodies apparently. In the space of a month they've gone from a high level to zero. The ****ers milked me of it.

I had the thing until around 12 April. So about 3 months of antibodies.

Anyone know what this means for Mega Ron?

58 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Anyone know what this means for Mega Ron?

From what I know, I think he's still good b/c his T-Cells will still know how to fight it off even though there are no antibodies present. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

From what I know, I think he's still good b/c his T-Cells will still know how to fight it off even though there are no antibodies present. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong though.

Not me area of expertise in the slightest, but from what i understand yes, your antibody counts will go down over time but your body will remember how to fight it.  Doesn't mean you won't catch it again, but the symptoms should be very much less severe than the first time.  Maybe even not noticeable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Not me area of expertise in the slightest, but from what i understand yes, your antibody counts will go down over time but your body will remember how to fight it.  Doesn't mean you won't catch it again, but the symptoms should be very much less severe than the first time.  Maybe even not noticeable.

It's just weird that they're gone so quickly. The half life of an antibody in a human is 21-28 days or so, which means 3 months is about 4 half lives. By the math, you'd still expect about 5% of the antibodies to be hanging around just from the initial spike.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's just weird that they're gone so quickly. The half life of an antibody in a human is 21-28 days or so, which means 3 months is about 4 half lives. By the math, you'd still expect about 5% of the antibodies to be hanging around just from the initial spike.

Is that really detectable?  Seems like a small amount.

Just now, theJ said:

Is that really detectable?  Seems like a small amount.

Depends on the assay. I'm just saying it's nuts because for the negative test to be real basically it means your body entirely stops making COVID-19 antibodies pretty much immediately after the initial immune response. I always thought it was standard that your body would continue to make lower levels for a few years at least.

• Like 2