Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

On 10/15/2020 at 8:43 PM, Xenos said:

The WHO doesn’t believe remdesivir can reduce mortality based on its study.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/10/15/health/coronavirus-remdesivir-who.amp.html

This is a tricky disease and there are a lot of conflicting conclusions from some of the studies listed in that article

Let's start here:
Much of the pathology around the COVID disease stems from the body's response to the virus as opposed to the virus itself.
So that means an anti-viral like Remdesivir may be more useful in early stages of the disease - but by the time you are hospitalized, you're in tough shape and the ravages of the disease are well under way. So removing or reducing the viral load at that point isn't as effective as you'd hope because the body/ immune system is already in full-fledged freak- out mode. 

Remdesivir does provide some benefit and it does make it safer for the healthcare workers treating these patients ( less viral shedding) - so there is certainly a benefit. But the anti-virals need to be administered in the right dose to the right patient at the right time-  and we're still trying to figure all of that out while simultaneously keeping people alive. It might not reduce mortality once you're over the critical threshold - but if it keeps patients from getting there its an extremely valuable tool.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pwny said:

So we can definitely rule out the “they’re reporting incorrectly” trash argument. 

Not sure how you can conclude anything from that.  According to that article they aren't sure how many are indirectly related to the pandemic by people not seeking medical treatment for other diseases when needed.  Deaths from dementia and other respiratory illnesses are also up.  I feel like I've heard that things like suicides are up also unfortunately. 

30 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Not sure how you can conclude anything from that.  According to that article they aren't sure how many are indirectly related to the pandemic by people not seeking medical treatment for other diseases when needed.  Deaths from dementia and other respiratory illnesses are also up.  I feel like I've heard that things like suicides are up also unfortunately. 

that's exactly the point. One of the major arguments from the anti-mask/hoax/wuddabout muh freedoms crowd is that they are *over reporting* covid deaths. This fairly conclusively tosses any of that rhetoric out the window.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

that's exactly the point. One of the major arguments from the anti-mask/hoax/wuddabout muh freedoms crowd is that they are *over reporting* covid deaths. This fairly conclusively tosses any of that rhetoric out the window.

I'm not seeing what this proves.   They don't know where the extra 100k deaths come from.  Maybe the majority of them were unreported covid cases or maybe a bunch of them were as a result of the lockdowns and people being scared to go to the Dr. 

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'm not seeing what this proves.   They don't know where the extra 100k deaths come from.  Maybe the majority of them were unreported covid cases or maybe a bunch of them were as a result of the lockdowns and people being scared to go to the Dr. 

The point is that they wouldn't have happened if covid had been managed more effectively.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

The point is that they wouldn't have happened if covid had been managed more effectively.

So not that they are underreporting actual cases? Which is what I was responding to

Are you saying if it was managed more effectively the lockdown would have been shorter resulting in less deaths indirectly related to covid? 

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

So not that they are underreporting actual cases? Which is what I was responding to

Are you saying if it was managed more effectively the lockdown would have been shorter resulting in less deaths indirectly related to covid? 

I can't help you if you aren't going to try...

I think the annoying part is going to the grocery story and having to sneeze or cough for unrelated Covid issues, allerigies, etc. And everyone stares at you like you got the plague, "like, Karen, mind your own business, i got my mask on and i'm about 27 feet away from you, you'll be fine"

Edited by dwaye50327

2 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

I think the annoying part is going to the grocery story and having to sneeze or cough for unrelated Covid issues, allerigies, etc. And everyone stares at you like you got the plague, "like, Karen, mind your own business, i got my mask on and i'm about 27 feet away from you, you'll be fine"

At least you didn't pull your mask down.  I'm still not sure what I would do if I sneezed with it on

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Sorry I'm just trying to understand how 300K more deaths means they are underreporting deaths from Covid.

It just seems to early to make any conclusions 

Ah, I see. 

The extra deaths over expectation are direct result of covid. 

Other science deniers have been arguing that deaths are being *over reported*

This is not the case.

Just now, JDBrocks said:

Ah, I see. 

The extra deaths over expectation are direct result of covid. 

Other science deniers have been arguing that deaths are being *over reported*

This is not the case.

They might be a result of covid but I do think it has to be looked at as too how many are from the response to covid. A lot of it was unavoidable but still...