Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This made me laugh because normal clinical trials with volunteers are roughly 95% retired people and college kids because that's who responds to those ads.

So then it should be pretty accurate. 

Are they required to get tested though?

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

They really should give it to a bunch of college students who go partying every weekend

It would likely increase the number from 5/15,000. But the reduction percentage of 5 out of every expected 90 will stay the same, and so would the reduction in severity. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

For herd immunity general stuff, this is fairly math-heavy but is interesting to me:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/52/7/911/299077

cidcir007f02_ht.gif?Expires=1608563957&S

So we were originally expecting 70% inoculation of a 70% effective drug to get this under control, right? Assuming that’s correct, what would a 94.5% efficacy drop us towards needing?

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

So we were originally expecting 70% inoculation of a 70% effective drug to get this under control, right? Assuming that’s correct, what would a 94.5% efficacy drop us towards needing?

We needed 66-75% total immunity to have this under control at a base level. That'd correspond to 70-80% compliance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We needed 66-75% total immunity to have this under control at a base level. That'd correspond to 70-80% compliance.

Two things happening - vaccines being approved and readied for distribution while simultaneously thousands/millions are getting infected every day. That means the supply is growing and the demand is declining.

I'd think/hope we'd move toward herd immunity faster than the compliance-only numbers might suggest

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Don't think anyone really knows this just yet. Rumors are front line then elderly IIRC. Don't take my word on this though

Makes sense to me. I can wait longer if it means they go first.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Two things happening - vaccines being approved and readied for distribution while simultaneously thousands/millions are getting infected every day. That means the supply is growing and the demand is declining.

I'd think/hope we'd move toward herd immunity faster than the compliance-only numbers might suggest

Yes, if the real fraction of the population infected already is at 10 or 20%, then those people would count as immunized (even though we'd dose a bunch of them regardless).

This gets complicated quickly if we get under the hood. We have people who are already immune, we aren't vaccinating the population randomly, etc. etc.

Man the numbers are getting so bad here in Texas, my school district’s self imposed metrics for when school is safe in person are all in the danger zone and no word on going back to virtual. I’m worried news of a vaccine on the horizon (but months away) mixed with holiday breaks will keep them from making any decisions until after the new year.

Prediction for DeWine's address here in Ohio on Wednesday:

*Mandatory virtual education for K-12 for the remainder of 2020

*No in person dining/drinking for bars and restaurants...outside (November/December in OH, LOL) and carry out only

*Gyms/Fitness centers will stay OPEN

*MAYBE a mandatory 10PM-6AM curfew

*No idea on a statement of non college and/or professional athletics