Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Mandatory virtual education for K-12 for the remainder of 2020

*No in person dining/drinking for bars and restaurants

If the general public could choose to open only  one or the other - what would the public choose ?
Open the bars or open the schools ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

why 10p?

What is special about that timeframe?

Just information that's been floated around/purely hypothetical. It's also the mandated "stop serving alcohol" time as of now, so it wouldn't be that much of a change.

20 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:
33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Mandatory virtual education for K-12 for the remainder of 2020

*No in person dining/drinking for bars and restaurants

If the general public could choose to open only  one or the other - what would the public choose ?
Open the bars or open the schools ?

*Checks our levy failure voting result from under two weeks ago*

Huh, that's a great question!

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Two things happening - vaccines being approved and readied for distribution while simultaneously thousands/millions are getting infected every day. That means the supply is growing and the demand is declining.

I'd think/hope we'd move toward herd immunity faster than the compliance-only numbers might suggest

I touched on this earlier and don't think I got a response. As for everyone, this is new but you all might be aware of procedures.

Person A has been infected and had no complications, just a cold.

Person B has not been infected.

That is literally the only difference between Person A and Person B. They are the same height, weight, gender, sex, medical issues, etc. They are literally mirrors of each other aside from one person knowingly having antibodies and the other does not.

Would Person B get priority over Person A in the vaccine or do they still not take into account Person A has been infected and carries immunity?

Sorry if this is a horrendous question that is worded awfully. I would just expect those who don't have protection to get it first.

34 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I touched on this earlier and don't think I got a response. As for everyone, this is new but you all might be aware of procedures.

Person A has been infected and had no complications, just a cold.

Person B has not been infected.

That is literally the only difference between Person A and Person B. They are the same height, weight, gender, sex, medical issues, etc. They are literally mirrors of each other aside from one person knowingly having antibodies and the other does not.

Would Person B get priority over Person A in the vaccine or do they still not take into account Person A has been infected and carries immunity?

Sorry if this is a horrendous question that is worded awfully. I would just expect those who don't have protection to get it first.

I don't know why someone that had a confirmed infecting would try to be near the top of the list to get the vaccine tbh

57 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't know why someone that had a confirmed infecting would try to be near the top of the list to get the vaccine tbh

Neither do I but I feel there's gotta be something I'm overlooking. I feel you'd want to get the most vulnerable first: front line, elderly, then work your way backwards to the youngsters, then get those who have already confirmed had it.... but, again, there's gotta be something simple I'm just not thinking about that will destroy this logic.

33 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Neither do I but I feel there's gotta be something I'm overlooking. I feel you'd want to get the most vulnerable first: front line, elderly, then work your way backwards to the youngsters, then get those who have already confirmed had it.... but, again, there's gotta be something simple I'm just not thinking about that will destroy this logic.

I don't think your logic is bad, ideally we'd find a way to avoid dosing people who have already been infected. But the only way to figure out the difference between Persons A and B in your example is to do an antibody test, and by the time we did antibody tests on the 300 million Americans who haven't been infected yet, we probably could have just vaccinated everyone instead.

So I think we just have to accept that ~5% (assuming 30% asymptomatic and 15% total US infection rate) of the vaccine doses are going to go to those unknowingly immune. Cost of dosing business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't think your logic is bad, ideally we'd find a way to avoid dosing people who have already been infected. But the only way to figure out the difference between Persons A and B in your example is to do an antibody test, and by the time we did antibody tests on the 300 million Americans who haven't been infected yet, we probably could have just vaccinated everyone instead.

So I think we just have to accept that ~5% (assuming 30% asymptomatic and 15% total US infection rate) of the vaccine doses are going to go to those unknowingly immune. Cost of dosing business.

It's like what I said prior though; if you've tested positive, your name is likely in a database that can be referenced. The one thing that doesn't account for are the many false positives that can absolutely exist, leaving those people exposed when we think they've got protection. That was the only thing I could think of that would be the flaw. This would negate the need to conduct antibody testing, right? Plus, don't T cells offer protection even when antibodies aren't present? Potentially have maybe a cutoff date say "if you've been infected within the last 3 months, move to the back of the line"? I dunno, just seems like the best way to go about this IMO. 

Maybe I'm just subconsciously trying to find a way to move myself up in the pecking order lol. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It's like what I said prior though; if you've tested positive, your name is likely in a database that can be referenced. The one thing that doesn't account for are the many false positives that can absolutely exist, leaving those people exposed when we think they've got protection. That was the only thing I could think of that would be the flaw. This would negate the need to conduct antibody testing, right? Plus, don't T cells offer protection even when antibodies aren't present? Potentially have maybe a cutoff date say "if you've been infected within the last 3 months, move to the back of the line"? I dunno, just seems like the best way to go about this IMO. 

Maybe I'm just subconsciously trying to find a way to move myself up in the pecking order lol. 

You've got to consider the costs. This vaccine is going for $20/dose, so that's your budget. If it costs more than $20 to identify which person shouldn't get it and exclude them from the list, but still make sure they're flagged as immune for their employer or airline and whatnot, it's easier and cheaper to just dose them.

• Like 3