Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

A new trial is underway for mixing different vaccines.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1256683

"This is a hugely important clinical trial that will provide us with more vital evidence on the safety of these vaccines when used in different ways," said Nadhim Zahawi, the minister for Covid-19 vaccine deployment, in a statement.

Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, the U.K.'s deputy chief medical officer, who is ultimately responsible for the study, said there are "definite advantages to having data that could support a more flexible immunization program."

"It is also even possible that by combining vaccines, the immune response could be enhanced giving even higher antibody levels that last longer; unless this is evaluated in a clinical trial we just won’t know," he added.

• Like 1

Hmmmm.... I wonder where Nate got this idea?

If I were to update the below, the only thing I think the MoL got right but less right than we are getting now would be school closures, because its not clear how effective those are.  That may be a bottom right "red" zone tbh.

Except for that, this was 100% accurate and I wish folks had listened to the MoL as usual.

On 5/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, mission27 said:

This is how the MoL would look at public health response.  Top left is things you should definitely do, because they are impactful and don't have a hugely negative impact on people's lives or the economy.  Bottom right is things you should definitely not do because they have very little impact on R0 and a huge social and economic cost.  The top right is really the grey area where we need to figure out how to ease off these restrictions slowly and everyone is basically on the same page that this is complicated. 

I dont know what would go in bottom left.  Maybe you could argue wearing masks is lower impact, although I think the jury is out on that one, and the success of some Asian countries suggests maybe otherwise.

image.png

Edited by mission27

Has anyone seen a national tracker of vaccine distribution broken down by age? We're at about 8.5% of the population having received the first shot, but to me the more important number is the percentage in the 65+ age group since that group accounts for ~80% of known COVID-19 deaths.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Has anyone seen a national tracker of vaccine distribution broken down by age? We're at about 8.5% of the population having received the first shot, but to me the more important number is the percentage in the 65+ age group since that group accounts for ~80% of known COVID-19 deaths.

Edit: sorry, not helpful now that I looked

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

https://reproduction.live/world/US

According to this (take it w/ a grain of salt and there's a 3 day lag in data), we've been at a steady R value of .83 for a little while now. It got as low at .77 last week also. It's estimated currently infected is the lowest it's been since early November and drops substantially each day.

Now you can reference this to see the change in 7 day averages among every state:

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/14-day-change-cases

Things are certainly going down the right path in case anyone was thinking otherwise.

56 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Post em up!!

We’re considering various options. May do something vaccinations, or just a greater emphasis on hospitalizations and deaths. TBD.

MoLs would be universally very low right now though - R0 is below 1 in most states and other western countries after the holiday peak.

• Like 1