Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

6 hours ago, mission27 said:

FYI I believe the * relates to studies that included South Africa / UK variant.

ashishkjha on Twitter

What's more telling to me is the data coming out of Israel:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/31/israel-covid-vaccination-data-offers-hope-exit-pandemic

"...only 317 out of 715,425, or 0.04%, of people became infected a week after becoming fully vaccinated against the disease – the time when increased immunity is expected to kick in. Of the vaccinated people who were infected, 16 had to be treated in hospital, or 0.002% of the total."

None of those who have been fully vaccinated have died. What's even more encouraging is- Israel started with the oldest and worked their way down. It's becoming more and more apparent that this vaccine also provides a strong immune response even in the most elderly, which is amazing news- because that isn't always the case. Also, the variants found in SA and the UK have been found in Israel. The UK one may be behind the latest surge. Even then- the vaccine data is looking great. 

These vaccines are going to save so many lives. Even the J&J and Novavax vaccines are incredibly effective at preventing severe illness, and they seem to provide a high degree of protection against the mutated variants as well. 

I've been vaccinated, but I'm still playing it safe until we have a bit more data on the protection these vaccines provide against the mutated variants and whether the vaccines mitigate transmission effectively, or the numbers in my area drop. A bunch of redditors gave me a ton of **** for still being safe, but f*** it- I figure we'll have a much better idea on those two concerns in the coming months- so I can be patient.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, WizeGuy said:

"...only 317 out of 715,425, or 0.04%, of people became infected a week after becoming fully vaccinated against the disease – the time when increased immunity is expected to kick in. Of the vaccinated people who were infected, 16 had to be treated in hospital, or 0.002% of the total."

As a point of comparison, close to 1% of Israeli's per week were testing positive for COVID at the peak a week or two ago.  Its not clear how long the 715K have been tracked but assuming they've been tracked for a week plus on average, that's proving out your 90%+ efficacy in a very large sample size

And 0 deaths is always great news. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Well, we were told via Governor DeWine that we will now be vaccinated the week of February 15-19.

Heard on the news last night that is around the time we're expecting J&J's to get into the state. Not sure if that will happen or not but that would help you teachers out w/ great speed.

Not free:

New diabetes cases linked to covid-19

Researchers don’t understand exactly how the disease might trigger Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, or whether the cases are temporary or permanent. But 14 percent of those with severe covid-19 developed a form of the disorder, one analysis found.

As early as January 2020, doctors in Wuhan, China, noticed elevated blood sugar in patients with covid-19. Physicians in Italy, another early hot spot, wondered whether diabetes diagnoses might follow, given the long-observed association between viral infections and the onset of diabetes. That association was seen in past outbreaks of other coronavirus illnesses such as SARS. As many as 14.4 percent of people hospitalized with severe covid-19 developed diabetes, according to a global analysis published Nov. 27 in the journal Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism. The international group of researchers sifted through reports of uncontrolled hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar, in more than 3,700 covid-19 patients across eight studies. While those diagnoses might be the result of a long-observed response to severe illness, or to treatment with steroids, the authors wrote, a direct effect from covid-19 “should also be considered.” Over the summer, he and a group of other diabetes experts launched a global registry of patients with covid-19-related diabetes. After they spread the word with an editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine, more than 350 institutions from across the world responded, he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/02/01/covid-new-onset-diabetes/

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Heard on the news last night that is around the time we're expecting J&J's to get into the state. Not sure if that will happen or not but that would help you teachers out w/ great speed.

I'll be honest...at this point, it's more about making my life and career easier and a means to an end of all of this after a very long year which is going to have YEARS of negative ramifications for education and the gap going forward. Online education will be here to stay and subsequently offered via OWL Camera and other options, the mountain of emails and work will be never ending, and the sheer educational gap and social ramifications are going to be lasting and negative.

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be honest...at this point, it's more about making my life and career easier and a means to an end of all of this after a very long year which is going to have YEARS of negative ramifications for education and the gap going forward. Online education will be here to stay and subsequently offered via OWL Camera and other options, the mountain of emails and work will be never ending, and the sheer educational gap and social ramifications are going to be lasting and negative.

I have a lot of teachers as friend who share your sentiment. This is why I hope the J&J vaccine can get here at the time the news said last night. One shot and you're good. That would help the faculty and staff get back to somewhat normal sooner than the two doses. I know it'll only be for a couple months but if it can done, getting those kids back for the March 1st that Dewine wants will certainly be beneficial to them and everyone else IMO.

25 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I have a lot of teachers as friend who share your sentiment. This is why I hope the J&J vaccine can get here at the time the news said last night. One shot and you're good. That would help the faculty and staff get back to somewhat normal sooner than the two doses. I know it'll only be for a couple months but if it can done, getting those kids back for the March 1st that Dewine wants will certainly be beneficial to them and everyone else IMO.

We've been slugging it out in person since the start of the year, having to go hybrid and virtual due to quarantine numbers for staff and students. It's been a LONG year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

We've been slugging it out in person since the start of the year, having to go hybrid and virtual due to quarantine numbers for staff and students. It's been a LONG year.

That's right. I remember you saying that prior. Well, hopefully next year is better. Not really many reasons to believe it won't be. Hope these last few months go easier for you.

• Like 2

Good news on the Oxford vaccine; it appears to mitigate spread by 67%:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/03/delaying-second-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-does-work-study-shows.html

"Based on weekly swabs from volunteers in the U.K. study, it found a 67% reduction in transmission after the first dose of the vaccine."

I'd assume it'll be an even higher reduction after two doses. Also, I'd assume the mRNA vaccine reduce transmission even more as they appear to generate a stronger immune response. Is this a reasonable take @ramssuperbowl99?

• Like 3