2020 NFL Draft

BZski

Wait? Okudah is a bad pick because Slay forced a trade out of Detroit? There is no correlation there. 

1. Okudah was the presumed pick while Slay was still on the team. In fact, Slay talked Okudah up and stated how much he wanted to play with him. 

2. Okudah is not Slay’s “replacement”, Trufant was brought in to be the veteran CB.

3. The pick used on Okudah was not from Philly in the Slay trade. 

4. Okudah was the consensus BPA for the #3 pick for the Lions. 

• Like 3

Just now, Superduperman said:

So you're saying, if Slay was under contract and expected to play next season, would you have approved of the Lions drafting his replacement at #3?

I would have supported Okudah as the pick with Slay under contract because Slay had 2 years max and you arent signing Trufant at that contract to be CB2. This is the same argument made about how we should have drafted Aaron Donald to replace Suh if he left the following year in FA. 

• Like 1

So you're saying, if Slay was under contract and expected to play next season, would you have approved of the Lions drafting his replacement at #3?

I didn't see Slay being on the roster next year. I had the Lions trading him in each of my mocks. He wanted a huge deal, threatened to holdout to start the 2020 season and doesn't like aggressive coaches. He's also 29.

Had we held him for another year, we'd likely lose him without compensation. (Any comp pick would be offset by any free agency signings, and we certainly aren't in a position to ignore free agents.)

In a deep draft, I'd much rather move Slay and draft an elite prospect like Okudah than keep him and lose him for little in return after a holdout-plagued 2020.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Yeah, doesn't mean it's true and obviously the prize was Tua and everything else was a smoke screen by Miami. 

Giants were picking at 4 and took a tackle. They should have traded down because they took the 3rd best tackle at 4. They could have traded down to 15 and gotten the same value. The team literally 1 pick after us.

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

So you're saying, if Slay was under contract and expected to play next season, you would have approved of the Lions drafting his replacement at #3?

No, and I don't approve of it now with him gone. 

What he's saying, is you really can't totally judge the Slay move till the players picked with the picks gain come to light. Lions basically swapped out Slay and some cash for Trufant, btw. You could say they replaced Slay(and his money) with Trufant/Okudah plus a 3rd/5th round pick.

Now it's all stupid if Okudah is average, Trufants average, and the picks don't work out.

It's Brilliant is Trufant is good, Okudah is good and they hit a player with the two extra picks. 

The whole thing is a gamble.

The move of drafting Okudah at 3 is bad, just as a business practice. With or without Slay. Quinn had the chance to work the draft and you just settled. It means you aren't good at your job. Which is why TL is mad at Quinn right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, nagahide13 said:

Giants were picking at 4 and took a tackle. They should have traded down because they took the 3rd best tackle at 4. They could have traded down to 15 and gotten the same value. The team literally 1 pick after us.

I'm not giving the Giants a pat on the back either. They could of moved down and should of. 

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

Wait? Okudah is a bad pick because Slay forced a trade out of Detroit? There is no correlation there. 

1. Okudah was the presumed pick while Slay was still on the team. In fact, Slay talked Okudah up and stated how much he wanted to play with him. 

2. Okudah is not Slay’s “replacement”, Trufant was brought in to be the veteran CB.

3. The pick used on Okudah was not from Philly in the Slay trade. 

4. Okudah was the consensus BPA for the #3 pick for the Lions. 

Oof you guys, please don't give me the apologist routine here

They needed TWO cornerbacks. They got one in Trufant. The reason why they needed another one is because the coach ran the other one off.

Oof you guys, please don't give me the apologist routine here

They needed TWO cornerbacks. They got one in Trufant. The reason why they needed another one is because the coach ran the other one off.

Oh so you mad just to be mad? Okay then. Have a good night man. 

• Like 1

Slay is 30 and in the last year of his contract. I was pissed about how that whole thing went down too, but no way were we resigning him and Okudah was still the pick. It should be Okudah and 1 year of Slay, but now it's Okudah, Trufant for 2 and a third rounder. Talent-wise it's pretty even. Probably better long-term if we count out the potential compensatory pick.

• Like 3