Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

My guess they have to make sure the medical checks out and given the current state of our country...

Probably true with him coming off of an injury and all. I really do want the kid to turn out well for us, but am not a big fan of this move. Will be a lot less of a fan if it's more than vet min and a lot of guaranteed money. 

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

I don’t even know where to start with this. I’ll leave it as simple as possible. The higher the pick, the greater chance of them succeeding.

Of course.   But once they are on the roster where the player was drafted should matter less than performance.     At this point it doesn't matter if MVS was picked 2nd or 213th.   Is he good enough to fill the role needed, or not?    Seems not.    Empty stats in a vacuum don't really tell the story either way.

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

MVS had 20 receptions on 37 targets for over 400 yards in the first 7 weeks of the season.  That’s 20 ****ing yards per reception.  When Rodgers stopped throwing to him, Rodgers started sucking.

You don’t know WTF you’re talking about.  

You don't even know what you're arguing anymore, do you? I'm convinced you're talking just to hear yourself. Let's try this another way. Do you think if MVS was a rookie or second year player in 2008, or 2012, or 2014 that he would see the field and have a real OPPORTUNITY to put up any production?

Edited by smetana34
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

You don't even know what you're arguing anymore, do you? I'm convinced you're talking just to hear yourself. Let's try this another way. Do you think if MVS was a rookie in 2008, or 2012, or 2014 that he would see the field and have a real OPPORTUNITY to put up any production?

Checkmate! 

5 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Of course.   But once they are on the roster where the player was drafted should matter less than performance.     At this point it doesn't matter if MVS was picked 2nd or 213th.   Is he good enough to fill the role needed, or not?    Seems not.    Empty stats in a vacuum don't really tell the story either way.

I was just commenting on the differences between Adams/Nelson and MVS. Just because it took them two time to produce doesn’t mean MVS is going to produce soon. I don’t think MVS’ career compares to where Jordy and Davante were. 

I hope he does, I really do . I just don’t see it. And being a 5th rounder it stings a lot less than a second rounder missing. 

10 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

You don't even know what you're arguing anymore, do you? I'm convinced you're talking just to hear yourself. Let's try this another way. Do you think if MVS was a rookie or second year player in 2008, or 2012, or 2014 that he would see the field and have a real OPPORTUNITY to put up any production?

You’re the one that asked what MVS has shown to deserve a spot, moron.  I’d say averaging 20 ****ing yards per reception when your QB was playing well makes you pretty deserving of a roster spot.

But again, you don’t know WTF you’re even talking about.  

You said the other receivers didn’t have the OPPORTUNITY that MVS did.  They did.  Lost in all your stupid bickering is the fact that those other receivers were 2nd or 3rd round picks.

Only someone who doesn’t know WTF they’re talking about thinks that a 5th round pick isn’t going to take more time than 2nd-3rd round picks.

Like ****.  MVS deserves a roster spot for his special teams ability alone, but Wert Hers He Dern to Derseeve a rester spert?

And to answer your question directly, he’d probably be better in those years and have more production because in those years Aaron hadn’t turned into a picky prick ruined by 2015.

Edited by Outpost31

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You’re the one that asked what MVS has shown to deserve a spot, moron.  I’d say averaging 20 ****ing yards per reception when your QB was playing well makes you pretty deserving of a roster spot.

You said the other receivers didn’t have the OPPORTUNITY that MVS did.  They did.  Lost in all your stupid bickering is the fact that those other receivers were 2nd or 3rd round picks.

Only someone who doesn’t know WTF they’re talking about thinks that a 5th round pick isn’t going to take more time than 2nd-3rd round picks.

Like ****.  MVS deserves a roster spot for his special teams ability alone, but Wert Hers He Dern to Derseeve a rester spert?

And to answer your question directly, he’d probably be better in those years and have more production because in those years Aaron hadn’t turned into a picky prick ruined by 2015.

There you go again ... bad name calling and disparaging people.  You have to control that inner anger ... not healthy.  Disagreeing with somebody is fine and no problem - going off the deep end to "prove" your point is just plain goofy.  

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't care where guys were picked. 2nd and 3rd round picks couldn't find playing time early because they were buried behind loaded receiving corps, but a 5th round pick puts up modest production with a much clearer path to playing time and we're using that as some sort of barometer of what's to come or as to why he's destined to be better than Adams and Nelson? We made that same gamble a year ago and look where we are. In the exact same situation. MVS, ESB, Allison, Kumerow, Lazard are all the EXACT reason we're in the market for a receiver in the first place. Because the entire corp outside of Adams is severely lacking. If even one of them had stepped up, we aren't having this discussion and Funchess likely isn't signed. But I can already see where this is going to head next as you've already tried alluding to it. "Rodgers stopped throwing to MVS" to no fault of MVS's though. There's only two roster locks on the team, Adams and Lazard, with Funchess a likely 3rd. Unless you think we're carrying 6 WRs, one of MVS or ESB are getting the axe with our inevitable high draft pick securing the 4th spot. MVS's job isn't safe and neither is ESB's. 

I know it's annoying sometimes, but I definitely enjoy reading outpost31's posts when he gets upset. It reminds me of insults made between friends in elementary school. Lol

Back to the topic...I believe MVS is better than what he's shown. But I also think most players who fall out of the rotation in sports could have the same thing said about them. Most of the time, it's about fit. 

I've also never seen something from MVS that warrants the backing he gets from Outpost31. I think he's a fine player. But fine isn't good enough to be an every down player. I think he's got the ability to be a nice option in case of an injury to a receiver who has more ability than MVS does.

Doesn't really matter what I think. The coaching staff sees what they see every day. It's lead to them wanting to improve upon the position Period

jesus christ the lazard love here is insane.  Lazard is crap, just like allison is/was crap.

actually he's not crap and he's better than allison but tone it down with the lazard love.  The guy had like 2 decent games playing with Rodgers and opposite Davante Adams in a really good offense that somehow had no other good options in the passing game.

52 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I was just commenting on the differences between Adams/Nelson and MVS. Just because it took them two time to produce doesn’t mean MVS is going to produce soon. I don’t think MVS’ career compares to where Jordy and Davante were. 

I hope he does, I really do . I just don’t see it. And being a 5th rounder it stings a lot less than a second rounder missing. 

I agree completely.

I wasn't here back then so I won't comment on who Nelson or Cobb had to beat to earn this famed OPPORTUNITY, but I know that Adams played by default and didn't have to beat anybody. I love the guy to death but it was a given as soon as we drafted that he was going to be playing some heavy snaps.

Here are the snap counts for WRs for years 2013 (before Adams) and 2014 (Adams rookie year):

Player			2013	2014
Jordy Nelson		1083	959
Randall Cobb		332	922
Davante Adams			738
Jarrett Boykin		663	225
Jeff Janis			15
Kevin Dorsey			12
Myles White		123	0
Jeremy Ross		7	
James Jones		847	
Chris Harper		2	

The Packers lost James Jones' 847 snaps (which Adams didn't really replace on his own) and got Cobb back from injury. All Adams had to do to start was beat Boykin, which is a far cry from "earning opportunity in a stacked WR room" or whatever.

Again, I loved Adams from his rookie year, but his path to "opportunity" was crystal clear from the moment he was drafted.

1 hour ago, rthom348 said:

I know it's annoying sometimes, but I definitely enjoy reading outpost31's posts when he gets upset. It reminds me of insults made between friends in elementary school. Lol

Back to the topic...I believe MVS is better than what he's shown. But I also think most players who fall out of the rotation in sports could have the same thing said about them. Most of the time, it's about fit. 

I've also never seen something from MVS that warrants the backing he gets from Outpost31. I think he's a fine player. But fine isn't good enough to be an every down player. I think he's got the ability to be a nice option in case of an injury to a receiver who has more ability than MVS does.

Doesn't really matter what I think. The coaching staff sees what they see every day. It's lead to them wanting to improve upon the position Period

I don’t even love MVS.  It’s the notion that someone with his unique physical ability has done nothing to earn a roster spot that is the epitome of stupid as hell.  Jeff ****ing Janis made the roster 4 years.  Nobody here understands what a typical NFL roster looks like.  People thought Gabriel was some significantly better #2 than Lazard last year.