Mafia Rules and Registration/Discussion Thread

bucsfan333

33 minutes ago, Counselor said:

So for my good friends out there that know more about Mafia and seems we have some dead time at the moment. In wanting to create my own game which I have been working on and changing some things around. 

Are the following roles usually town or scum or both?

Doctor (town right but has their been scum doctors?)

Double Voters

PGO

Motivator

Jailer

Protector 

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Blue you'd be PERFECT to weigh in here as well aside from those who usually host still in the game (Dome, Pickle). Same with @SwAg and @Malfatron and @The Orca.

IMO, USUALLY:

Doctors: Town

Double Voters: Town, but NOT ALWAYS

PGO: Blue once hosted a game with a scum PGO and the scum redirector could/should have redirected a town player to the scum PGO for the kill

Motivator: Town, but I don't see why you couldn't do scum

Jailer: BOTH

Protector: BOTH

TBH, I think it would be fun to mix and match a lot of these roles to either side and just see what happens. It would make game solving fun, difficult, and messy to wade through.

24 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Blue has been very helpful to me and my game design. I sent him some stuff like two weeks ago. Yeah I think mixing it up would be fun but as my first game I probably won’t mess with it. I like Hidden Mechanics also but as Blue mentioned to me especially first time hosting it is easy to forget something that is a hidden mechanic and then I’d mess up my game design. 

Doctor/Protector are different flavors of the same basic role, but yes, they can be scum. There are a lot of factors to consider there:

- A Doctor (only protecting against kills) is almost always Town, especially in smaller games (15ish or fewer players) because typically Mafia only needs to worry about one, maybe two kill abilities, one of which probably isn't even every-Night. With 20+ players, you're more likely to have a scum Doctor because there are more non-Mafia kill abilities in the game (including but not limited to at least two out of Town Vig, PGO, Bomb, or Serial Killer).

- Bodyguards (protect against all or several types of Night actions), or the variant you guys call a Jailer here (protects against Night actions but roleblocks target), aren't super common but are very useful as Mafia roles because they can prevent investigative actions on teammates. I would argue that a scum Bodyguard is to be expected, but not 100% certain, in a game of 20+ players. Clever Mafia can use a Jailer like a roleblock with plausible deniability, while Bodyguard can function similarly to a Framer role without being obviously scum.

Double vote is usually Town, but it can be a useful ability for an otherwise vanilla Mafia member. As Mafia, it's most commonly attached to a Godfather role that can't be killed until the rest of his faction is dead because it's fun for mind games once the GF is outed.

PGO is almost always Town, and unless your game is specifically designed around a scum PGO, it isn't fair to Town to make them Mafia (Indy is another story, but you need to be creative with their wincon). PGOs are generally assumed to be Town because there's typically no safe way to invest them and scum won't kill an outed PGO regardless of their alignment. It's also difficult to balance unless everyone in the game has an every-Night action or there's a redirector who can "move" players who don't do anything at Night.

Motivator is tough to balance as a Mafia role because why wouldn't Mafia just motivate their killer every Night for double kills? Indy Motivators can be a fun wrinkle, however.

Jailer I assume you're talking about the Bodyguard variant mentioned above, but the one we used at Walterfootball was a vote blocker, not a role blocker. The vote block version is pretty much a neutral role that can be used for any alignment.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1

After hearing from a few people, it seems there's a bit of Mafia burn out among a lot of players, mainly from rolling straight into a new game after the current one ends. To try and address that, I'd like to start a 13-person "mini" Mafia game (which will start with a Night phase) about a week after the current game ends for people who are ready to play right away, then a full 24-person game a week or so after that to give people more of a buffer between "big" games, while still giving those who want to play something to do.

However, I don't want to monopolize running games for the near future, especially if someone has a game they want to run. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good way to space out games a bit more without simply not playing for weeks at a time? Is 13 too many roles for a mini-game? Is expecting 24 active players just too much to ask at this point?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

After hearing from a few people, it seems there's a bit of Mafia burn out among a lot of players, mainly from rolling straight into a new game after the current one ends. To try and address that, I'd like to start a 13-person "mini" Mafia game (which will start with a Night phase) about a week after the current game ends for people who are ready to play right away, then a full 24-person game a week or so after that to give people more of a buffer between "big" games, while still giving those who want to play something to do.

However, I don't want to monopolize running games for the near future, especially if someone has a game they want to run. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good way to space out games a bit more without simply not playing for weeks at a time? Is 13 too many roles for a mini-game? Is expecting 24 active players just too much to ask at this point?

I think @ET80 may be working on something behind the scenes too... you guys should touch bases 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Are we allowed to make jokes or is this touchy? 

Im trying to be more sensitive. 

Oh, I'm good with it. Never met the cousin, and I'm encouraging my wife to contact her cousin in Huntsville... But I'm personally OK with jokes and such.

The case actually got a new law written in Texas, this was a big deal back in the 00s.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh, I'm good with it. Never met the cousin, and I'm encouraging my wife to contact her cousin in Huntsville... But I'm personally OK with jokes and such.

The case actually got a new law written in Texas, this was a big deal back in the 00s.

Is her cousin's name Greg by any chance?

Edited by daboyle250
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Well the joke wasnt that funny but:

Not just violence - but attempted murder, followed up by actual murder.

Gotta give props for the determination.  Most people fail and never try again.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue said:

If there isnt a lot of interest for large games, I'm all for 10-15 player games, but I wouldn't be intentionally running them unless that's where the interest is. Unless the host really wants to run a game of that size

If people want to take a game or two off they should by all means do so. I dont think game size should force it though 

7 hours ago, Blue said:

Automatically sign me up for any game you host please :)