Raiders sign S Damarious Randall

Justwinning

PICK ANALYSIS:

"Randall is what today's free safety is all about. He is by far the best cover safety in this draft. Randall can play man-to-man; he has cornerback-level cover skills. You give up some physicality, but his coverage ability is where the NFL is going. Remember Jimmie Ward was a first-rounder last year (to the 49ers) with a similar skill set." -- Mike Mayock

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/damarious-randall?id=2552389

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This definitely is the "get faster and more dynamic" on the back end signing. There are actually a fair amount of similarities between delpit and randall, which takes us out of the Delpit sweepstakes.

CB all the way!

That's another reason I can't see us investing early draft capital into another LB. I see a lot of defensive sets where we play Randall/Harris at S and play Abram in the box in a WLB role.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Versatility and speed are king in todays NFL.

Yup. And that's why I love all of the moves that we've made this offseason. Kwit/Littleton at LB and Abram/Randall at safety should transform our entire defense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:
from twitter

New Raiders safety Demarious Randall allowed 8 TDs in coverage last season per @sportradar, tied for 2nd most in NFL.
His 27 TDs allowed since entering league in 2015 are 2nd most to Malcolm Butler's 30

He did play CB out of place his 1st (4) and 2nd (10) year.

In the last 3 years he’s given up 4,3,2 TDs according to PFF (see Sanjit’s video) and 4,2,6 according to the link below which is a good site.

https://sisdatahub.com/players/2986

it’s not always easy to say who gave up the TD when it isn’t plain man coverage. It seems like every site has different numbers.

Edited by jimkelly02

Reading up and watching a little more on Randall and he's got some skills and upside but I dont think he will drastically change our draft strategy. He can start probably but I dont see him as a player who would prevent our FO from selecting a safety high in the draft if we thought he was a starting calibre player with a lot of upside, I'm thinking of guys like Delpit, McKinney, Winfield, Davis, Chinn and it could be that we try and take a raw guy with upside knowing Randall can hold the fort for a year until he's up to speed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

So Randall got 1.5M guaranteed and can earn up to 3.25M. Cap hit is listed at 2.1M (base salary + 600k bonus, probably active game bonus).

yeah OTC has that listed as his cap hit.  That’s a tremendous value signing.  Spotrac has 1.5m but they literally just take OTC’s info and are less accurate.  They never ever come out with the contract details first.  And as soon as OTC posts a player they immediately update their page.

right not spotrac says its 1.5m salary plus

”Contract Notes: Incentives: $1.75M (Pro Bowl, playing time)”

does anyone know why OTC (but not spotrac) had these players signings originally listed with lower caps then jumped them up:

mariota- 7.5 to 9.125

Heath- 2.85 to 3.6

Witten- 4.0 to 4.75

Collins- 6.0 to 6.25

AND Yet in MY salary cap spread sheet I use the lower, original amounts and come up with a remaining cap of 8.809M (with draft class) and OtC has us at 8.832M, only .025M off..... yet those players cap increased total 3.375M

It’s just wierd I don’t get it 

plus Erik Harris jumped from 2.5 to 3.25 on both sites with a “misc” bonus.  I suspect he hit an incentive last year.

Edited by jimkelly02

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

yeah OTC has that listed as his cap hit.  That’s a tremendous value signing.  Spotrac has 1.5m but they literally just take OTC’s info and are less accurate.  They never ever come out with the contract details first.  And as soon as OTC posts a player they immediately update their page.

right not spotrac says its 1.5m salary plus

”Contract Notes: Incentives: $1.75M (Pro Bowl, playing time)”

does anyone know why OTC (but not spotrac) had these players signings originally listed with lower caps then jumped them up:

mariota- 7.5 to 9.125

Heath- 2.85 to 3.6

Witten- 4.0 to 4.75

Collins- 6.0 to 6.25

plus Erik Harris jumped from 2.5 to 3.25 on both sites with a “misc” bonus.  I suspect he hit an incentive last year.

Imo, and i'm not sure about that, it's the incentives. There are 2 types. "Likely to be earned" (based on previous season's performance by the player) and "not likely to be earned". "Likely to be earned" are already counting against the cap. If the LTBE isn't reached, it goes as a credit to the team's salary cap the next season.