Raiders sign S Damarious Randall

Justwinning

9 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Imo, and i'm not sure about that, it's the incentives. There are 2 types. "Likely to be earned" (based on previous season's performance by the player) and "not likely to be earned". "Likely to be earned" are already counting against the cap. If the LTBE isn't reached, it goes as a credit to the team's salary cap the next season.

I know the difference, but thank you.  That’s not gonna be the reason the numbers jumped tho.  
and even if it was OtC salary cap uses the original Numbers.

inknow this sounds dumb I think they just made a spread sheet error.  All the numbers jumped at the same time

teams don’t put incentive in mid level guys deals for things they achieved in the past.... it’s always if they play better than before 

Edited by jimkelly02

Those KJ and E.Harris plays are what nightmares are made of. When you got two bad coverage safties like that playing its easy to take advantage of them. Hopefully, we see Harris snaps limited this upcoming season. 

Randal even after a shaky 2019 season is leaps and bounds an improvement over Harris and KJ.

47 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Those KJ and E.Harris plays are what nightmares are made of. When you got two bad coverage safties like that playing its easy to take advantage of them. Hopefully, we see Harris snaps limited this upcoming season. 

Randal even after a shaky 2019 season is leaps and bounds an improvement over Harris and KJ.

KJ was not bad in coverage but we all know not to have him play singe high or cover TEs 1v1 that 6'5"+.  Randall can not play man coverage.  They both have flaws and if you expect your safeties to be interchangeable good Offensive coaches will exploit that unless you have pro bowl safeties.  I do not think all of our problems are solved with Randal and I would prefer KJ.  Honestly in that video was KJ coverage on Kelce better or Randal's coverage on AB.  The narrator says AB found out he can not blow right past him but he did and the ball was under thrown.  I hope Randal plays wel I just think for $2.5 million would rather have kept KJ and cut Joyner.  Then sign Randal to replace Joyner.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

KJ was not bad in coverage but we all know not to have him play singe high or cover TEs 1v1 that 6'5"+.  Randall can not play man coverage.  They both have flaws and if you expect your safeties to be interchangeable good Offensive coaches will exploit that unless you have pro bowl safeties.  I do not think all of our problems are solved with Randal and I would prefer KJ.  Honestly in that video was KJ coverage on Kelce better or Randal's coverage on AB.  The narrator says AB found out he can not blow right past him but he did and the ball was under thrown.  I hope Randal plays wel I just think for $2.5 million would rather have kept KJ and cut Joyner.  Then sign Randal to replace Joyner.

I too really liked Joseph, would gave kept him. However, the interchangeable safety scheme is a strange one to me, it seems good in theory in that it provides an element of confusion to the offence and they can be rotated to blitz, in the box and cause problems for the OC. The downside to me seems to be that really good centre field type safeties with range and ball skills are so hard to find and we're expecting to have two guys capable of that role is a very tough ask. Much easier to find a decent box type safety so its unlikely when we rotate our safeties both will be equally good in coverage, it may not be popular but I think a good balanced pair or traditional gard hitting, tone setting strong safety and rangy, ball hawking free safety works just fine. Id rather our guys be good at one role than average at multiple roles.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I personally think that Randall is a significant upgrade over KJ. Randall has much more range which will allow us to bring Abram into the box more as you can trust him in single high. He has much better ball skills than Joseph as evident by his 14 INT in 5 seasons vs Joseph's 4 INT in 4 seasons. I also disagree that Randall can't play in man coverage, while he's obviously a better fit at safety, he started 30 games at CB for the Packers. Joyner can at least play slot CB, having both Randall and Joseph would've been redundant. 

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I personally think that Randall is a significant upgrade over KJ. Randall has much more range which will allow us to bring Abram into the box more as you can trust him in single high. He has much better ball skills than Joseph as evident by his 14 INT in 5 seasons vs Joseph's 4 INT in 4 seasons. I also disagree that Randall can't play in man coverage, while he's obviously a better fit at safety, he started 30 games at CB for the Packers. Joyner can at least play slot CB, having both Randall and Joseph would've been redundant. 

Randal can play in the slot and single high.  From what I remember Joyner was not good in the slot.  If anything we should have Joyner back at safety and Randall as the slot CB.  I think we are a better team with Joseph, Abram, and Randall than Joyner, Abram, and Randal.  It would have cost less also after taking the the cap hit from Joyner.  I was not against signing Randal but was against letting Joseph go.  If we would have cut Joyner before 3/20 we could have signed Joseph for $2.5 and saved a half million.  Signing Randal and Littleton allows you to high Joseph's deficiencies and have him play to his strengths.  The Browns got the perfect safety for stopping Lamar Jackson from running and forcing him to pass.  I can not wait to watch Jackson try to run and have Joseph just blow him up.  Sad to see him go but now I have a reason to watch the Browns play.  It is not going to make or brake our team but Abram and Joseph would have been nasty together and we blew it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Randal can play in the slot and single high.  From what I remember Joyner was not good in the slot.  If anything we should have Joyner back at safety and Randall as the slot CB.  I think we are a better team with Joseph, Abram, and Randall than Joyner, Abram, and Randal.  It would have cost less also after taking the the cap hit from Joyner.  I was not against signing Randal but was against letting Joseph go.  If we would have cut Joyner before 3/20 we could have signed Joseph for $2.5 and saved a half million.  Signing Randal and Littleton allows you to high Joseph's deficiencies and have him play to his strengths.  The Browns got the perfect safety for stopping Lamar Jackson from running and forcing him to pass.  I can not wait to watch Jackson try to run and have Joseph just blow him up.  Sad to see him go but now I have a reason to watch the Browns play.  It is not going to make or brake our team but Abram and Joseph would have been nasty together and we blew it.

Randall is not a full time slot CB though. He's at his best as a FS where he can play back and use his ball skills to make plays. Joseph is small and not very good as evident by the lack of market for him in free agency. 

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Randall is not a full time slot CB though. He's at his best as a FS where he can play back and use his ball skills to make plays. Joseph is small and not very good as evident by the lack of market for him in free agency. 

Randal is better than Joyner in the slot whether it is part time or full time.  Joseph might be better in the slot than Joyner.  Joseph not having much of a market is more symbolic of the entire safety market this year and him coming off of an injury.  He got a 1 year prove it deal.  Only 3 safeties were paid over $4 million this year and the 2 safeties we signed are not in that group.  Without the foot injury Joseph gets more especially with the way he started playing before the injury.  Joseph had 1 major problem and that was his coaches asking him to do things we all know he can not do very well.  PG exposed him and Gruden has shown he wants to get rid of every player he did not bring in.  You have to kiss the ring in order to satisfy Gruden's ego.

And remember that the Brown's decided to sign Joseph when both he and Randal were on the market.  The pay difference was not significant to be the deciding factor since Cleveland had and still has plenty of cap space.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 1

Just now, drfrey13 said:

Randal is better than Joyner in the slot whether it is part time or full time.  Joseph might be better in the slot than Joyner. 

Joyner had a down year but the jury is still out. He played at an all pro level at FS with the Rams so regardless there was no reason to keep Joseph over him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Joyner had a down year but the jury is still out. He played at an all pro level at FS with the Rams so regardless there was no reason to keep Joseph over him.

That is why I said Randal should be in the slot and Joyner at safety now.  I am pretty sure Joyner played in the slot for the Rams in 2018 also and stunk it up.  At least that is what Rams fans have said. I have also read/heard that Randal thrives in the slot and might be his best position but will get beat like a drum if he lines up outside.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

That is why I said Randal should be in the slot and Joyner at safety now.  I am pretty sure Joyner played in the slot for the Rams in 2018 also and stunk it up.  At least that is what Rams fans have said. I have also read/heard that Randal thrives in the slot and might be his best position but will get beat like a drum if he lines up outside.

never thought about that, and it actually makes sense. 

Not sure about Randall playing slot - but I absolutely agree drfrey that I would’ve liked to keep Joseph and feel that his chances to make it were somewhat undermined by poor coaching. I’m sure we could have had packages where we had Randall, Joseph and Abram together and that would’ve been fun to watch. 

I sure like that trio better than with Harris or Heath instead of Joseph. I don’t think either of them are better outside of special teams.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 2:48 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

I love how at 12:39 the narrator says he found out he can not blow right past him as he does blow right past him.  Not saying he is bad and AB does not make really good DBs look bad but AB had him beat by 4 yards and the ball was under thrown.  If he hits him in stride it is an easy TD.

• Like 1