2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

13 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Just watched the combine pressers from the 4 QBs - and this is first impressions.

Was not impressed with Rosen - he struck me as going through the motions and didn't strike me as being particualrly sharp. Reminded me a bit too much of Lynch that way.

Wasn't impressed with Darnold either. His answers felt scripted and not genuine. Also seemed to be going through the motions a bit - he was just better at it than Rosen.

Allen was a bit too happy-go-lucky for me. Got too much of an impression from him that he was just happy to be there. Because of that I would be a little worried that he might just be happy to be in the NFL as well. 

I was impressed by Mayfield. He seemed smart, focused and didn't seem interested in any bullsh*t. He also seemed clued in too what the GMs were expecting from the meetings and seemed open about the questions he had to answer and what he had to prove.

I'm surprised to hear that criticism of Rosen. That's probably the first time I've ever heard anyone say that about him. By and large his criticism is that he's "too authentic" and not going through the motions as a person.

That said, I put absolutely zero stock in these press conference situations. Every person is different. What matters is performance on the field and in the meeting rooms.

Probably somewhat overshadowed by Barkley, but my god, Brian O'Neill really had a tremendous combine performance. His 3-cone is literally as good as it gets, and he looked smooth as butter doing the drills. Phenomenal footwork, good mirroring technique, he certainly looks the part. It's tough though, he's light for an OT, and I think there's fair questions about his functional strength. He got whipped at the Senior Bowl. Still, if he were around in Round 2 (or Kolton Miller, for that matter) I'd probably snap them up in a heartbeat and kick Bolles to RT where he'll be a better fit.

15 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Probably somewhat overshadowed by Barkley, but my god, Brian O'Neill really had a tremendous combine performance. His 3-cone is literally as good as it gets, and he looked smooth as butter doing the drills. Phenomenal footwork, good mirroring technique, he certainly looks the part. It's tough though, he's light for an OT, and I think there's fair questions about his functional strength. He got whipped at the Senior Bowl. Still, if he were around in Round 2 (or Kolton Miller, for that matter) I'd probably snap them up in a heartbeat and kick Bolles to RT where he'll be a better fit.

O’Neill is going to be a fascinating case.  He has skinny legs so the Q on how much functional strength he can gain and keep his elite agility is huge.   No T with the top broad jump in the past 6 years has made it past Rd1 but his Q on getting overmatched on power I could see him fall.  Honestly so conflicted on him.   Miller and Crosby have much better tape imo.  

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

O’Neill is going to be a fascinating case.  He has skinny legs so the Q on how much functional strength he can gain and keep his elite agility is huge.   No T with the top broad jump in the past 6 years has made it past Rd1 but his Q on getting overmatched on power I could see him fall.  Honestly so conflicted on him.   Miller and Crosby have much better tape imo.  

Oh, Miller and Crosby have better tape for sure. Honestly, I like Miller as much as any OT in this draft. He might end up the best OT overall. O'Neill is just a hell of an athlete which, if coached properly, could see him have success in the NFL. It could also mean he fizzles out.

Also, Conor Williams would make a hell of a guard. But he's not going to be a successful OT in the NFL, if you ask me.

I don't know how I feel about off the field issues but Antonio Callaway looks like the best most natural receiver in this draft. 

This draft is so fascinating I really think it will end up as the best draft in my life time to this point. It has everything you want from a prospect stand point. 29 players rated with first round grades according to pff thats high! It's why I'm coming around on cousins and trading down for a bunch of picks or staying put and adding a ton of talent.

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't know how I feel about off the field issues but Antonio Callaway looks like the best most natural receiver in this draft. 

This draft is so fascinating I really think it will end up as the best draft in my life time to this point. It has everything you want from a prospect stand point. 29 players rated with first round grades according to pff thats high! It's why I'm coming around on cousins and trading down for a bunch of picks or staying put and adding a ton of talent.

He’s probably the most talented WR top 20 overall on pure talent.  But he makes Tyreke Hill and the Cowboys suspended DL’s and college Dez Bryant look like choirboys.   Unlike many athletes with flags Callaway has gotten in trouble on multiple occasions with each infraction worse than the one prior (if you give him the benefit of the doubt on the sex assault allegation given charges weren’t laid).   The last part is noteworthy - he just didn’t relapse he doubled and tripled down on stupid with more egregious infractions.  That suggests a sense of entitlement and lack of willingness to take responsibility.  His risk isn’t red-line it’s nuclear.   

Just a summary: 

1.  Alleged sexual assault (no charges)

2.  2 team suspensions 

3.  Weed use (doesn’t bother me by itself but horrible context given he was under the microscope already)  

4. Credit card fraud scheme after the above.  Premeditated and did it knowing he was on last chance. 

The pattern of his behavior suggests a huge likelihood of relapse.   The talent is worth a gamble though the payoff is huge.  But only once you are past guys who have a good shot of being legit contributors.   The risk he can’t stay out of trouble is the highest seen in a long long time. So that’s Day 3 this year.  

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

He’s probably the most talented WR top 20 overall on pure talent.  But he makes Tyreke Hill and the Cowboys suspended DL’s and college Dez Bryant look like choirboys.   Unlike many athletes with flags Callaway has gotten in trouble on multiple occasions with each infraction worse than the one prior (if you give him the benefit of the doubt on the sex assault allegation given charges weren’t laid).   The last part is noteworthy - he just didn’t relapse he doubled and tripled down on stupid with more egregious infractions.  That suggests a sense of entitlement and lack of willingness to take responsibility.  His risk isn’t red-line it’s nuclear.   

Just a summary: 

1.  Alleged sexual assault (no charges)

2.  2 team suspensions 

3.  Weed use (doesn’t bother me by itself but horrible context given he was under the microscope already)  

4. Credit card fraud scheme after the above.  Premeditated and did it knowing he was on last chance. 

The pattern of his behavior suggests a huge likelihood of relapse.   The talent is worth a gamble though the payoff is huge.  But only once you are past guys who have a good shot of being legit contributors.   The risk he can’t stay out of trouble is the highest seen in a long long time. So that’s Day 3 this year.  

Credit card fraud scheme wtf? Thats insane it makes Cam Newton and his lap top thing look like nothing. 

He'd be tempting the end of round three I mean Winston went number 1 with a lot of issues. Sexually misconduct with an uber driver, crab leg thief, sex assault accusations. 

Bottom line, talent is talent and some team will take a gamble.

16 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Credit card fraud scheme wtf? Thats insane it makes Cam Newton and his lap top thing look like nothing. 

He'd be tempting the end of round three I mean Winston went number 1 with a lot of issues. Sexually misconduct with an uber driver, crab leg thief, sex assault accusations. 

Bottom line, talent is talent and some team will take a gamble.

The key diff is that Winston’s supposed repeat events weren’t deliberate premeditated decisions.  The crab legs incident sounded like the culture was FSU guys get a free pass and the Uber incident one of his entourage owned up to it.   His first run in was the worst.   And at no time did it affect team production.   Winston is no angel but the pattern is declining in severity of incidents on his part, with a lot of he-said / they-said. 

Calloway already ran into the ire of coaches - and 2x knowing he could get kicked off permanently he still upped the ante.   He admitted to the offenses on his part.  It’s not a he said / they said situation.  That’s just dumb on a royally stupid / arrogant level.  

I’d consider him after the top 100 talents are gone or the top 7-8 WR  - given teams reach for need that’s Rd 4-5.   Give me a Gallup or Anthony Miller way before I think about Calloway.   I don’t think Gallup is going earlier than Rd 3 FWIW.  

And I’m a sucker for taking off the field risks because the payoff is huge.  But the risk is nuclear here.  Often the risk is overblown by old school thinking (Rosen exhibit A - zero issue with me there).  But this is a different kettle of fish altogether.  

Watching Josh Allen today is starting to have me come around. The guy has an elite arm and he is extremely accurate when his feet are right. The problem with him is he holds the ball letting the route progress more because his arm is so strong. He's gotta learn there's rhythm involved. You have to throw the ball on time. I think Musgrave can help his timing routes I'm not opposed to drafting him.

I think Clevland gets Barkley at 1 and Allen or Mayfield at 4.

Josh Allen has the work ethic Jamarcus Russell never had. I think it's good to get behind that. I don't think we need to have nightmares about picking him now. 

Effff...Josh Allen is so dang intriguing...honestly just wouldn't know how to feel about it if the Broncos drafted him....too bad he couldn't last till the 2nd round.  Or, if you could get a late 1st for Talib or something...if you could pick up Barkley and Allen in the 1st and Will Hernandez in the early second....that might be awesome.   

1 minute ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Effff...Josh Allen is so dang intriguing...honestly just wouldn't know how to feel about it if the Broncos drafted him....too bad he couldn't last till the 2nd round.  Or, if you could get a late 1st for Talib or something...if you could pick up Barkley and Allen in the 1st and Will Hernandez in the early second....that might be awesome.   

Haha literally  just posted about him I'm coming around on him. I think his accuracy issues are due to primarily holding the ball too long.

I also love Hernandez this guy is an elite guard prospect over shadowed by a generational talent in nelson.

If we can land Allen and Hernandez first round or 2 thats a great start.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Haha literally  just posted about him I'm coming around on him. I think his accuracy issues are due to primarily holding the ball too long.

I also love Hernandez this guy is an elite guard prospect over shadowed by a generational talent in nelson.

If we can land Allen and Hernandez first round or 2 thats a great start.

Would love one of the UGA backs too...really don't care which one.  

3 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Would love one of the UGA backs too...really don't care which one.  

If we land Kirk I'd love the guy from lsu really don't think he's a significant worse prospect than fornette. We could trade down do whatever. This class as a whole is phenomenal. 

FWIW LSU Guice seems to be the 2nd RB on the board.  It’s a mistake IMO but seems like the 2nd RB is going Rd1.   If you aren’t a true generational RB HoF ceiling talent I pass as you can get similar talent way cheaper but I expect the recent RB rookie success means someone pays up.  

Don’t expect that Guice will be there at Rd2 if he’s the #2 RB in this class.   The GA RB or Penny look to be the targets there barring off the field / injury issues.  

Archived