2018 College Prospect Thread

iLikeDefense

Kalen Ballage is certainly solidifying himself so far on a physical level. I'm just so leery about this guy. Totally inconsistent...it's gotta be a worry.

I love Derrius Guice. He might end up better than Barkley. He's tailor made for the NFL.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Kalen Ballage is certainly solidifying himself so far on a physical level. I'm just so leery about this guy. Totally inconsistent...it's gotta be a worry.

I love Derrius Guice. He might end up better than Barkley. He's tailor made for the NFL.

Well, assuming the vert/broad, 3-cone and shuttle don't reshuffle the order, Guice probably solidified himself as the 2nd RB, and likely off our board as that's likely somewhere in mid-late Rd 1.  Michel's time is a little slower than expected (he ran 4.54 2nd run), but the shuttle 3-cone and pass receiving drills could change his stock - but the chances he'd be there at 2.7 just went up.

I share your skepticism on Ballage - the tape is really underwhelming for a guy with his skills.   I would stay away and let someone else take the risk - because he's not likely to be a bargain pick now.   On the flip side, Penny sure helped himself today, he's likely a lock to be a Day 2 pick now, and could get into Rd 2, if his agility drills keep showing this level of quickness. 

Jones could have tweaked his hammy, so the time is misleading, but either way, he was nowhere near JC's range, like the lazy comps put out there.  Frankly, Rd 3 is a reach IMO given the other guys available in this very deep RB class.

Can't wait to see the shuttle / 3-cone.

Sony Michel isn't impressing me all that much today. I think he's a good player, but make no mistake, he's getting propped up by how good Kamara was (called it!) and the projection of what that means for Michel. He doesn't look especially comfortable as a pass catcher, but he obviously is a talented runner. He should still go high, but he doesn't have Kamara's ceiling.

11 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Sony Michel isn't impressing me all that much today. I think he's a good player, but make no mistake, he's getting propped up by how good Kamara was (called it!) and the projection of what that means for Michel. He doesn't look especially comfortable as a pass catcher, but he obviously is a talented runner. He should still go high, but he doesn't have Kamara's ceiling.

I'd be the first to say that Michel's 40 and his pass catching today weren't as hoped - keep in mind though that the 3-cone and shuttle are just as, if not more important, to judge explosion/burst.     His change of direction and hips were very good.   

The one thing I'd say is that we don't have to worry about Michel being gone by 2.7, though - assuming the other drills don't show any flags, Guice solidified his status as the 2nd RB off the board.   I don't think we'll see more than 2 RB's off the board this year Rd1 for sure.    The guy we've been watching a lot besides Michel, did help himself so far - Penny.   He had a Rd 3-4 projection, if he shows well in the rest of the drills, he could easily climb into early-mid 2nd discussion.  I do want to see how his 3-cone and shuttle go, as he looked a little stiff in the change of direction drills.

Ballage is going to generate a ton of buzz - but with RB's, I do value the film more on both ends of the spectrum - much like how I thought Dalvin Cook got a bad rap for his 3-cone when his tape said he played up way beyond that #, Ballage's film is so damn underwhelming, it's scary.  Much like Cook (not at that level of performance, obv, but the analogy of tape vs. film), Michel's film vs. elite D's this year since he bulked up, his success since his sophomore year (where he played behind guys, but excelled when on the field), it's impressive enough to still let me pimp him if he's there at 2.7.   Conversely, unless Ballage is hitting Rd4+ (and he won't with this Combine result), I'd let someone else take that shot.  

Barkley isn't going to run the 3-cone or 60-yard shuttle tomorrow, but he will do the 20-yard shuttle.   Having said that, this is the summary of his insane profile (elite measurables in size, elite production and tape, success since freshman year...in the Big 10):

Add it up, we've got no shot at 1.5.  I think unless CLE falls in love with 1 rookie QB, Barkley to 1.1 is the new CW.   Can't say I blame them if they go that route - they'll get one of the top 2-3 QB's at 1.4, and Barkley is bigger AND more faster/explosive (short area to come) than....LT. O.o

48 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Alas, let's face it...if Barkley fall to #4...WE HAVE TO TAKE HIM!  Unreal. 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Barkley isn't going to run the 3-cone or 60-yard shuttle tomorrow, but he will do the 20-yard shuttle.   Having said that, this is the summary of his insane profile (elite measurables in size, elite production and tape, success since freshman year...in the Big 10):

Add it up, we've got no shot at 1.5.  I think unless CLE falls in love with 1 rookie QB, Barkley to 1.1 is the new CW.   Can't say I blame them if they go that route - they'll get one of the top 2-3 QB's at 1.4, and Barkley is bigger AND more faster/explosive (short area to come) than....LT. O.o

Man crush, here, officially.  He is Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton....you take him and cut CJ the minute after you draft him.  

Just watched the combine pressers from the 4 QBs - and this is first impressions.

Was not impressed with Rosen - he struck me as going through the motions and didn't strike me as being particualrly sharp. Reminded me a bit too much of Lynch that way.

Wasn't impressed with Darnold either. His answers felt scripted and not genuine. Also seemed to be going through the motions a bit - he was just better at it than Rosen.

Allen was a bit too happy-go-lucky for me. Got too much of an impression from him that he was just happy to be there. Because of that I would be a little worried that he might just be happy to be in the NFL as well. 

I was impressed by Mayfield. He seemed smart, focused and didn't seem interested in any bullsh*t. He also seemed clued in too what the GMs were expecting from the meetings and seemed open about the questions he had to answer and what he had to prove.

I posted this in the Combine thread, but might as well leave it here....man, that was fun.   Combine is only 1 piece of the puzzle, skills assessment and tape matter just as much, but such a deep RB class, fun to evaluate....

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

So the 20-yd shuttle and 3-cones times are out (Barkley & Michel passed on the 3-cone <dayum>, Guice & Penny didn't do either <double dayum>) :

-Barkley scores a 4.24 in the shuttle  - given his size, again quite impressive

-Michel scores a 4.21 in the shuttle - given the split between 4.54 40, shows the excellent short-area burst.  Wish we saw a 3-cone time too, but it re-establishes the power/speed mix that people see appears legit moving up.  The big key for him will be his pro day and showing more pass catching chops and pass pro skills (the big bugaboo for rookies).   

-Chubb's 4.25 shuttle was good for his size (much like Barkley) - the 7.09 is a little on the high side, but honestly, unlike Michel, power is more his game.   It doesn't help him, but doesn't hurt him given his skill profile.

-Ballage's 6.91 is very good for his 3-cone, but the 4.35 shuttle when in context of his 40 time (4.46) - well, it's a weird profile, suggests more straight-line and less "quick".  More importantly, the tape is so underwhelming given his physical talents.

-3 guys who really showed nice short-area burst - Chase Edmonds (6.79 3-cone fastest, 4.07 shuttle), Justin Jackson (6.81 3-cone, 4.08 shuttle) and Royce Freeman (6.90, 4.16) all impressed.   Ryan Nall came close to those 3.  Given the ball-catching abilities they all showed, will be in-demand at the very least for 3rd down back, and should get pretty decent helium.

-John Kelly decided not to run the 40, then put up brutal times in the 3-cone and shuttle (7.13, 4.53).  I mean, for his skill profile, does not compute.  I wonder if he's hurt.  If he's not, this is going to hurt his stock.

-Penny really could have cemented his helium by doing well in the shuttle/3-cone, given his pass game chops.  As it is, we'll have to project a little more.  He did himself a world of good this weekend though.

Put it all together, IMO....

1.  Barkley put on a beastly display of athleticism.   We knew this was likely, but at 6'0, 233, his tape, Big 10 record since being a freshman, and his measurables...well, still...wow.

2.  Penny, Edmunds really helped themselves.  Penny as the #3 RB is possible.  Edmunds being the top pass-catching back seems a lock now.

3.  Ballage's early rise countered with the strange profile and tape concerns.

4.  Guice seems like the consensus #2, Chubb helped keep himself as the #3-#5 range.  Michel didn't do enough to keep, let alone cement the #3 status....the shuttle sure helped, but more chops in pass catching/pass pro will be needed.   

5.  Kelly and Jones suffered the most of the RB's stock-wise.  

6.  Freeman and Jackson helped avoid the JAG label with their pass catching chops.  Big chance for Day 3 value IMO, given their tape.

Can't wait to see the QB's/WR's/TE's tomorrow.

I posted this in the Combine thread, but might as well leave it here....man, that was fun.   Combine is only 1 piece of the puzzle, skills assessment and tape matter just as much, but such a deep RB class, fun to evaluate....

Excellent the guy from stanford who runs the fast 40 he can catch Right? Plays slot too can I have an nfl comp?

37 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

No wasnt there a small guy ran the fastest time today. Nc state my bad same colors. 

Hines?  Never saw him before today.

But looking at the fact his shuttle was only 0.03 secs faster than than his 40 yard dash (for example, Michel was 0.30 secs faster, and Edmunds was an insane 0.48 secs faster), and his 3-cone was a very unimpressive 7.13 secs for his size, my comp is the bike racer dude from Tron (you know, can only run in straight lines).

Hines?  Never saw him before today.

But looking at the fact his shuttle was only 0.03 secs faster than than his 40 yard dash (for example, Michel was 0.30 secs faster, and Edmunds was an insane 0.48 secs faster), and his 3-cone was a very unimpressive 7.13 secs for his size, my comp is the bike racer dude from Tron (you know, can only run in straight lines).

Fair enough Mayock was talking about a player that is electric and can play in the slot.  Maybe I got guys mixed up its been a rough day in the north eaat.

Archived