Defensive needs

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

My reason for not being overally optimistic about this team is we gave away 100 more points than Baltimore then we gave away Schubert. 

Schobert was average. We did not adequately replace him or Kirksey, but we did get infinitely better defensively and still have the draft coming up.

1. We get Myles Garrett back.

2. We finally have safeties that can play the alleys in the run game.

3. We fixed the depth issue on the DL and brought in some beef to clog running lanes.

4. We signed a very good NCB.

5. We switched our defensive scheme to accommodate for our player's strengths (press man).

6. We still haven't even had the draft yet.

7. We are rumored to be the landing spot for Clowney, giving us an incredibly potent set of edge rushers.

I don't know why you're so caught up on losing Schobert. He was a good starter, for sure. But the dude is overrated as can be. I would have re-signed him just to prevent having to patch MLB up, but finding a MIKE is easy. You can even have 2 guys fill that role (run stuffer/pass coverage) on UDFA contracts most of the time.

If you don't have a superstar MIKE like Kuechly, Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, or Bobby Wagner, you'd be better off just patching it with randoms. It's the RB position on the defensive side of the ball. Not that it's not important, but there's an abundance of players that can fill that role adequately.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If y’all don’t know better by now...

🤔...I'll allow it.

20 hours ago, DawgX said:

LMAO, right? Talk about an exercise in futility.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51af734dc4d46ebb29d08

19 hours ago, mtmmike said:

Well first of all everybody makes very good arguments but my best guess is Mayfield get injured and the defense gives up more points than last year.

Lets agree to disagree .

thank you for everything

y

This about sums up where we are in this conversation.

Edited by NudeTayne
Sorry, LGB...can't help you when you are willing to accept help.
  • Like 4

On 4/8/2020 at 1:56 PM, ditchdigger said:

David Njoku could not beat out Ricky Seals-Jones.

Rashard Higgins could not beat out Khadarel Hodge.

Maybe we don't worry about who got playing time last year because the coaching staff were obviously idiots.

And I was one of Kitchens BIGGEST Supporters in here......with his top notch Pedigree....

tenor.gif?itemid=5313427

• Like 1

ok guys 

just want your opinion on some players

2nd round Terrell Lewis edge  Alabama

3a Wilson linebacker Wyoming

3b Troy Pride db Notre Dame

On 4/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, Fatgerman said:

Going OT in one and defense the rest of the way is the direction I'd go as GM.

I know our LBs are weak, but this is a seriously weak LB draft. I wouldn't waste draft capital forcing LB, especially with plenty of good safeties and DLine. 

With that said, Willie Gay Jr. in the 4th-5th definitely does interest me.

59 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

ok guys 

just want your opinion on some players

2nd round Terrell Lewis edge  Alabama

Doesn’t play strong. Fast, but not slippery. He plays hard, but he is a non factor against the run and really is only decent at killing really slow OTs with speed. If we are gonna draft a DE in R2, give me Julian Okwara. He is better, but I don’t like any late round DEs outside of maybe Kenny Willekes. It’s Chase Young (impossibe) or bust at DE this year. 

3a Wilson linebacker Wyoming

Not bad, not awesome. Just a solid starter. There would be nothing wrong with the pick, but he doesn’t scream BEAST to me like some think. 

3b Troy Pride db Notre Dame

Tested well, but not an easy mover on game day. Underwhelming prospect and in the 3rd, I would view this as a strong reach. He is an off zone corner. If we draft an off zone corner, it better be Bryce Hall. That’s the real elite off-ball cb

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Doesn’t play strong. Fast, but not slippery. He plays hard, but he is a non factor against the run and really is only decent at killing really slow OTs with speed. If we are gonna draft a DE in R2, give me Julian Okwara. He is better, but I don’t like any late round DEs outside of maybe Kenny Willekes. It’s Chase Young (impossibe) or bust at DE this year. 

Not bad, not awesome. Just a solid starter. There would be nothing wrong with the pick, but he doesn’t scream BEAST to me like some think. 

Tested well, but not an easy mover on game day. Underwhelming prospect and in the 3rd, I would view this as a strong reach. He is an off zone corner. If we draft an off zone corner, it better be Bryce Hall. That’s the real elite off-ball cb

thank you 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtmmike said:

thank you 

If we went with the same positions, check out:

DE Kenny Willekes/Jonathan Greenard/Julian Okwara

CB Essang Bassey/Trajan Bandy/Bryce Hall

LB Joe Bachie/Shaq Quarterman

although I do think Logan Wilson is right there with Bachie and Shaq. I wouldn’t be sad if we took any of these guys. 

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

If we went with the same positions, check out:

DE Kenny Willekes/Jonathan Greenard/Julian Okwara

CB Essang Bassey/Trajan Bandy/Bryce Hall

LB Joe Bachie/Shaq Quarterman

although I do think Logan Wilson is right there with Bachie and Shaq. I wouldn’t be sad if we took any of these guys. 

Quarterman seems like a classic 2 down run stopper.  Not that we don’t need that or whatever.

He reminds me a bit of that rocked up kid that went to Miami a few years ago, Denzel something, I’m too lazy to google it.

• Like 1