Mayock Pre-Draft Press Conference

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Also mentioned that he thinks a WR1 can be found in round 3 this year.

I think that is just fact. This year is deeper than normal, and there usually is a WR1 or around the third round.

2019: DK Metcalf was the last pick of the 2nd last year, Terry McLaurin was a 3rd as well as Miles Boykin (who isn't a WR1 yet, but a maybe develops into one) and Hakeem Butler was top of the 4th (hasn't panned out yet, but had WR1 hype -- kinda Mims like hype if I remember like "maybetron").

2018: DJ Chark was near the bottom of the 2nd, with Michael Gallup and TreQuan Smith being in the third with each being WR2 and Gallup having WR1 upside with a 1100 yard second season.

2017: Juju Smith Schuster was near the bottom of the 2nd, then Cooper Kupp, Chris Godwin and Kenny Golladay were in the third. (I forgot who we took over all four of these WRs since this was basically the end of Crabtree and a great time to take a WR2 for Amari Cooper... we took Obi Melifonwu over them.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I like Antonio Gibson over Moss if Cam Akers is gone. That speed/size, productive in college, and can catch the rock. Perfect compliment to Jacobs 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/antonio-gibson?id=32194749-4241-5285-a215-d633ff9a6f70

You keep mentioning Antonio Gibson, he played wide receiver at Memphis.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Justwinning said:

If we do take a WR at 12 don’t be surprised if we pass on CB at 19 if it’s deemed that the value isn’t there. They’re still high on Isaiah Johnson and Keisean Nixon.

I like the coach speak from Mayock but I'm personally still expecting a WR/CB with our first two picks. Especially after we reached on Ferrell at #4 last year. 

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You keep mentioning Antonio Gibson, he played wide receiver at Memphis.

I like Gibson as a gadget player but would still prefer we add a bruiser like Zack Moss or AJ Dillon. I wouldn't feel that great about going into the season with a backup RB who has only taken 33 carries in his life. But even if we go WR at #12 and take someone like Dillon/Moss, I still think Gibson would be a nice pick. He's the type of player that good teams have to create mismatches all over the field. You can play him out of the backfield, in the slot, as a returner, wildcat QB, jet sweeps, etc. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Mayock didn’t say you can find a WR1 in this years class in the 3rd. He just said it’s been done before.

Only 5 of the top 20 WR's last season in terms of receiving yards were former first round picks. Only 7 rookie WR's put up 600+ yards last season, all 7 were drafted in the 2nd round or later. Of the 17 WR's drafted in the first round over the last 5 years, only 4 of them had 1,000+ yards last year with those 4 being Amari Cooper, DeVante Parker, Mike Williams, and DJ Moore. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I like Gibson as a gadget player but would still prefer we add a bruiser like Zack Moss or AJ Dillon. I wouldn't feel that great about going into the season with a backup RB who has only taken 33 carries in his life. But even if we go WR at #12 and take someone like Dillon/Moss, I still think Gibson would be a nice pick. He's the type of player that good teams have to create mismatches all over the field. You can play him out of the backfield, in the slot, as a returner, wildcat QB, jet sweeps, etc. 

Gibson is more of a RB2/3 then true RB2.  He’s a 4-8 touches a game guy.  Moss and Dillon are capable of actually starting if need be.  Sure if Jacobs doesn’t get hurt ever Gibson is a good backup... but if Jacobs goes out 1-2 full games where stuck in the same position as last year.  That’s why I prefer a RB2 to be capable of starting if needed.

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

Gibson is more of a RB2/3 then true RB2.  He’s a 4-8 touches a game guy.  Moss and Dillon are capable of actually starting if need be.  Sure if Jacobs doesn’t get hurt ever Gibson is a good backup... but if Jacobs goes out 1-2 full games where stuck in the same position as last year.  That’s why I prefer a RB2 to be capable of starting if needed.

Gibson best football is ahead of him, I try to project in the future not based off of college. Moas might have already peaked with all those touches 

Just an important reminder:

of all these round 3-5 guys everyone falls in love with.... only a handful ever pan out. That’s why I think it’s best to trade down from 19 and then use the extra picks to move up from 80,81,91 and trade to target guys that actually have starting potential.

• Like 1