2020 Day 1 NFL Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

CWood21

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the board looks decent at 30, I'd love this trade: 

30 to Houston for 40 and 90. Would give us 40, 62, 90 and 94. 

That is something I looked at in the other thread about trades, it would be a fair one and give us 20pt advantage in draft value points.

48 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

I'm looking for a clear upgrade at DL though.

spot on, and if we get a really good one - you can make it part of your review of the 2020 decade.
Your work on football history is spectacular

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If the board looks decent at 30, I'd love this trade: 

30 to Houston for 40 and 90. Would give us 40, 62, 90 and 94. 

@ET80  any chance you can make this happen?   Probably would need BoB to toss in a future pick or upper tier player to be on par with some other trades.   (Hopkins, cough, cough)

I want want to quickly say that if we draft an OT it better not be Ezra Cleveland. He lacks physicality and that's a very bad trait to have in an OL. We want someone who is a bit of a hard nose.

Cleveland looks perfect for LaFleur on paper but he's just simply not the right guy. I hope we stay far away from him.

I've settled on Claypool as the Packers first pick if they don't move up.   He meets all the criteria:

[1] instantly whips the Packers fanbase into a frenzy of anger and outrage ---- the delight of all Packers GM's, it's in their contract

Well that's the main criteria, but here's some more:

2] Allows internet guy to drunkenly declare the NFL is a joke and the Packers franchise is no longer viable - it's in our forum agreement, check the fine print

3] Insane RAS

4] Versatility to play WR/TE.   Played on the boundary extensively his senior season but more in the slot the year prior with Boykin on the boundary

5] Senior Bowl practices hint to a much stronger skill-set than shown and more agility off the line than given credit for

6] Best blocking WR in the draft ...... maybe best blocking TE in the draft....

7] Some say redundant size/skillset to other WR's on roster.    True, but he's a better player than Lazard and Funchess and will pass both as our #2.

8] Dynamic ST player.  He and Lazard will make life very difficult for teams in the return game

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

I want want to quickly say that if we draft an OT it better not be Ezra Cleveland. He lacks physicality and that's a very bad trait to have in an OL. We want someone who is a bit of a hard nose.

Cleveland looks perfect for LaFleur on paper but he's just simply not the right guy. I hope we stay far away from him.

I agree.    He looks right on paper with the RAS but he's so slim, little junk in the trunk.   I'm worried about his ability to anchor against NFL man strength.   I'm less than secretly hoping he goes before the Pack have the chance because if he's there he looks like a strong choice.   KJ Hamler is another guy I would like to steer clear of in this draft

6 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I've settled on Claypool as the Packers first pick if they don't move up.   He meets all the criteria:

[1] instantly whips the Packers fanbase into a frenzy of anger and outrage ---- the delight of all Packers GM's, it's in their contract

Would Pittman piss people off more or Claypool?

2 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I agree.    He looks right on paper with the RAS but he's so slim, little junk in the trunk.   I'm worried about his ability to anchor against NFL man strength.   I'm less than secretly hoping he goes before the Pack have the chance because if he's there he looks like a strong choice.   KJ Hamler is another guy I would like to steer clear of in this draft

We're both on the same page, i'm not a fan of Hamler at all. I don't think he's good enough.

Just now, Kampfgeist said:

He looks right on paper with the RAS but he's so slim, little junk in the trunk.   I'm worried about his ability to anchor against NFL man strength.

The Packers have time to let him get stronger/ bigger...the same issue plagued Bahk early on and he bulked up and overcame it
With Rick Wagner on board, GB can afford to develop Ezra. I don't know if they like him, but they're in a position to be more patient.
Other teams need a starter right away

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The Packers have time to let him get stronger/ bigger...the same issue plagued Bahk early on and he bulked up and overcame it
With Rick Wagner on board, GB can afford to develop Ezra. I don't know if they like him, but they're in a position to be more patient.

I don't agree with that. Wagner is the backup, he will be backing up whomever we draft in the first or second round. If we draft an OT later than its highly likely Wagner will be the starter.

Bahk came in right away at left tackle when Bulaga got injured and he never looked back. He functioned just fine and yes he did bulk up and got even better. I don't think Cleveland has it in him to do the same thing. I was very put off watching his position drills at the combine, he's very technical and precise, almost robotic like. The game of football is fluid, ever changing and messy, what happens when he's outside of his comfort zone - can he play meaner and more physical? is he comfortable playing with messy technique in order to get the job done?

Then Spriggs comparison scares me too.

Edited by Chili

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/david-bakhtiari?id=2540183

I think Bakh played with a little nastier demeanor.  He was also picked 79 picks later than Cleveland might be.   I'd be cool if Cleveland was our #2 pick.     I don't think Spriggs could overcome his strength issues and when he bulked up he lost his lateral mobility.  Other later guys like Amichia just couldn't make up that strength issue.     But you are right, we have the luxury and ability **health permitting** to wait and let Cleveland develop.   I wouldn't flip my lid over Cleveland and would jump aboard the hype train if he's the guy (choo, choo!), I'm just really hesitant about him.    

• Like 1