1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 minute ago, A2j1m said:

From what we’ve seen from Rodgers is that he’s regressing. He can prob play til 40 sure but his contract ends in 2 years and I’m sure will expect to get paid paid. I’d Love had weapons at Utah St. this guy would of gone top 10 easily. The guy has an arm and can make plays. I’m actually all here for this simply because Rodgers isn’t what he was and his contract ends in 2 years. Get Live in and develop him and get him ready for 2020.

His contract ends in 4 years. We can get out of it in 2 with a cap hit bigger than our last five years (IIRC) of dead cap hit combined.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And for the record I get the early upset.  I kinda dropped my shoulders at first.  It’s a bit of a short term letdown.  A LOT of a short term letdown.  But this move was an attempt to not end up like the teams who can never find the next QB.  

Just don't like the timing. 2 years too early for my taste, but whatever, it's done. 

1 minute ago, rthom348 said:

You're awfully confident in our front office's ability to draft quality players. Hasn't been so great in the last several years. Unless I misread and by "same impact," you mean none whatsoever.

if that's the case, we have a helluva GM at selecting a coach who can lead a team of bad quality players to a 13-3 season!

2 minutes ago, Iskra said:

What?

No one posited a cogent argument to trade him three years ago. I'm no math genius, but this is far from a 1:1 comparison of 2005, if that's where you're headed.

That's why the phrase, "with the benefit of hindsight" was included. Rodgers contract is now pretty damn close to a negative asset. And will be one almost undoubtedly next year when he has a god damn 36.5 million dollar cap hit. 

3 minutes ago, Iskra said:

No one posited a cogent argument to trade him three years ago. I'm no math genius, but this is far from a 1:1 comparison of 2005, if that's where you're headed.

People have been posting cogent arguments to trade Rodgers (at that point in his career) since we traded Favre.

Not what I expected, but respect the **** out of Gute for making this pick. Would have been easier for him to pick a player that played literally any other position to keep the heat off himself. Fact is, he's willing to put his career on the line for Love, and was happy to trade up in order to do it. Really going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Now please let us get Laviska in round 2. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think the fact that the Packers just drafted a first round QB when Rodgers has 4 years left on his deal kinda points to Rodgers being an average and declining player? At least the team seems to think so.

You know what ? I'd be fine with that. I don't agree but can live with it. Then don't re-sign him or bring in FA's and fake it.

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I never watched him play, but this is what some scouts have said about Love:  strong arm but "slow wind-up" and "poor anticipation and decision making". Guess these things can be fixed.

I honestly wasnt paying attention to the "Love talk" but somebody on NFLN made a comment about his accuracy earlier today.
In one ear - out the other cause I didnt think it had any bearing on GB. Now it does....so I'll hope for the best. There's nowhere to go but up at this point. The pick(s) are in.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Funchess has been a starter his entire NFL career. He averaged 610 snaps per year with the Panthers, including his rookie year. He's an exactly average #3 receiver. 

When your QB has a 135 million dollar deal, you expect him to maybe get by with some average targets when you give him a good defense and a good offensive line. 

Funchess was also signed for vet minimum. A guy "starting his entire NFL career" doesn't mean a damn thing.  We got him for the cheapest possible deal on a single year deal 2 weeks into UFA.  I'm a Michigan fan who likes Funchess but he's closer to not making the roster than he is being a high end starter next year.  Right now though, he's going to hav e to be a high end #2.

QBs make a lot of money.  Should very single one of them that signs a second deal have to operate an elite offense with 1 good WR?  Our group of pass catchers is pretty easily the worst in the NFL.