1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 minute ago, SSG said:

In 2005 we were a 4 win team after winning 10 games the year prior.  We spent our first pick on Rodgers and tried to replace guys like Rivera, Wahle and Sharper with bottom tier UFAs.  We didn't sign Pickett and Chuck until 2006 and they were hardly low end back ups.  

Hey SSG. Where've you been?

How much does Jordan Love have to do this year to contribute more than the 1st round pick, #12 overall, last year? 

BTW, I still hold out hope for that #12 overall kid to develop into something special. I think the Packer knew he was a project then. How many here were as pissed off about that pick as they are this one. I was on the record against the Gary pick last year. He's a Packer and I'm pulling for him. 

We are closing in on 30 years of HOF quarterbacking. Nobody has done it back, to back to back! 

Good night Packer fans! Even the ones who are pissed off about this pick. If you want to blame me for even mentioning the kid in the Jordan Love thread, go ahead, I'll carry that cross! 

On one hand I applaud Green Bay for the pick because its always good to have a future franchise QB waiting in the wings. Trading up was probably necessary with teams like the Colts and Patriots eyeing a potential trade up ahead of Green Bay at 30. (TBF the Patriots could've selected him with the 23rd pick but instead they traded down. The Saints could've had him too but they too passed).

On the other hand we have failed yet again to surround Rodgers with offensive weapons. People may point to a decline in his play over the last 3-4 years but he had to deal with ****ty TEs, a fat RBs, a declining Cobb and Nelson and we never attempted to adequately replace them with high draft picks. No wonder his play has declined. Surround him with better talent and I bet he will start looking his old self again.

The good news is there are still plenty of receiving talent in the draft, Higgins, Mims, Edwards, Peoples-Jones, Gandy-Golden, Cephus etc... None of them are burners but all of them are tall/physical receivers with excellent hands. I fully expect us to draft one of them with our 2nd round pick. I think we will be fine whichever WR we draft. The WRs did not fall our way anyway so drafting a WR in the 1st round, whoever it was, wasn't going to happen.

The OT class did not fall our way either. The ones that I considered a good fit for LaFleurs offence were all taken, At this point I fully expected a trade down but Love was clearly someone they coveted. It was either him or a trade down most likely.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is true - but - at what point does it make financial sense - lets forget about Love being able to actually step in - when can GB actually cut the cord with AR's contract?

That's what makes AR different than the others.

After this year if Love is ready. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is a rookie Tee Higgins going to be the difference?

I agree with you .. pick #30 probably wasn't going to give the Packers the instant impact fans are hoping for.  It's the 1st rounders from last year that need to make the big jump.  It's a few other higher picks that need to take the jump.