1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not an excuse for the player - but I put a fair amount of that responsibility on the coaching staff. Somebody needs to bust the player into component parts and put him back together - leaving out the bad traits / pieces.

Perhaps hard to do in season and under the new CBA "No More Real Practice" restrictions - I dont know - but everybody's fixable to some degree. Everybody.

Inaccuracy is the toughest one to fix, really hadn't been done before until the Bills did it with Allen. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Inaccuracy is the toughest one to fix, really hadn't been done before until the Bills did it with Allen. 

Understood....but it can be done. I'm guessing that with the rigors of winning games / focus on AR - those drills are probably a back/back burner option at this stage - but if we can recognize things here, it's not lost on the coaching staff.

If AR returns....it remains a back burner issue (to some degree). Otherwise, MLF needs to get on somebody to get on this and get it done. Make it the task of their professional life.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

It's a 100% a troll account. It's playing the game. Make everyone mad, don't lash out. It's been banned before. I've seen it a million times. 

If I really wanted to troll I would just post his stats and watch everyone freak out and tell me its only year 1.5

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

LaFleur needs to call the Bills and see how they fixed Allen, cause Love is still inaccurate. The other tools don't matter until that's fixed.

He also needs to stop sucking at play calling for him. 

99/100 times you don't fix inaccurate.  The exception is Allen

You need transcendent other skills to overcome inaccuracy - like Lamar Jackson or Mike Vick.

I don't think Love is AS inaccurate as Allen appeared to be in his rookie year though.

For Love, you need to fix his footwork, and he needs to be more willing to run the ball more until he settles in as a passer.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

LOL. At least get it right. Love's played 1.5 games since being drafted.

I'll never have the energy to do this but I'm pretty sure if you took a ton of good QBs first 1.5 games, they don't have great stats. But I'm not a stat king so IDK

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'll never have the energy to do this but I'm pretty sure if you took a ton of good QBs first 1.5 games, they don't have great stats. But I'm not a stat king so IDK

I've been thinking about this long and hard, and I think maybe we should refer to this poster as "Scat Fling" 

No? Dammit. *goes back to woodshed*

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Norm said:

It's a 100% a troll account. It's playing the game. Make everyone mad, don't lash out. It's been banned before. I've seen it a million times. 

Which comment made you mad?

His account consists of a continuous stream of actual football takes. You should try that sometime.

Doesn't count, but I posted this thought in the NFL General thread. Doesn't count because he wasn't the starter. He did get some time though. Seems like we can't rule him out yet:

He's not wrong though.

I say it every year, and it's got at least a 90% accuracy rate, but the single best indicator for future success at the QB position is average yards per attempt in their rookie year.

Since the league changed all the rules on offense and protected quarterbacks and helped receivers, there's zero excuse to not throw for over 6.2-ish yards per attempt. I don't care if you've got the worst coach and offense in the world, if you're completing less than 6.2 yards per attempt, you're not gonna make it in this league.

This has been true since roughly 2010. Since 2010, you can tell after the first year if a QB is going to be worth keeping after their first year as a starter. It's just too hard to not have some success at QB if you're going to have any success.

Quarterbacks yards per attempt in their first full year as a starter:
Patrick Mahomes - 8.8 yards per attempt.
Deshaun Watson - 8.3 yards per attempt.
Dak Prescott - 8.0 yards per attempt.
Baker Mayfield 7.7 yards per attempt.
Jameis Winston - 7.6 yards per attempt.
Marcus Mariota - 7.6 yards per attempt.
Mac Jones - 7.3 yards per attempt.
Justin Herbert - 7.3 yards per attempt.
Teddy Bridgewater - 7.3 yards per attempt.
Kyler Murray - 6.9 yards per attempt.
Justin Fields - 6.9 yards per attempt.
Sam Darnold - 6.9 yards per attempt.
Joe Burrow - 6.7 yards per attempt.
Jordan Love - 6.6 yards per attempt.
Daniel Jones - 6.6 yards per attempt.
Mitchell Trubisky - 6.6 yards per attempt.
Josh Allen - 6.5 yards per attempt.
Tua Tagovailoa - 6.3 yards per attempt.
Johnny Manziel - 6.3 yards per attempt.
Carson Wentz - 6.2 yards per attempt.
Zach Wilson - 6.1 yards per attempt.
Blake Bortles - 6.1 yards per attempt.
Trevor Lawrence - 6.0 yards per attempt.
Dwayne Haskings - 5.9 yards per attempt.
Drew Lock - 5.8 yards per attempt.
Josh Rosen - 5.8 yards per attempt.
Jared Goff - 5.3 yards per attempt.

As you can plainly see, if you're not completing 6.5 yards per attempt in your rookie year minimum, you're likely not going to have much in store for you in your NFL career.

This list also has plenty of examples of quarterbacks in bad situations in their first years coming back and having good NFL careers, but even those ones were above or at 6.5 yards per attempt (Allen, Burrow).

It's obviously not perfect and you can't tell HOW good a QB is going to be in their career, but it gives you a pretty good hint. A darn good hint. Mahomes at 8.8, Prescott at 8.0, Watson...

And there isn't a single QB who threw for less than 6.5 yards per attempt in their rookie year who went on to have a great or even good career. Johnny, Carson, Blake, Dwayne, Drew, Josh, Jared... They're all considered considerable busts.

So you look at Lawrence sitting between Bortles and Haskins and it doesn't inspire much confidence.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Doesn't count, but I posted this thought in the NFL General thread. Doesn't count because he wasn't the starter. He did get some time though. Seems like we can't rule him out yet:

He's not wrong though.

I say it every year, and it's got at least a 90% accuracy rate, but the single best indicator for future success at the QB position is average yards per attempt in their rookie year.

Since the league changed all the rules on offense and protected quarterbacks and helped receivers, there's zero excuse to not throw for over 6.2-ish yards per attempt. I don't care if you've got the worst coach and offense in the world, if you're completing less than 6.2 yards per attempt, you're not gonna make it in this league.

This has been true since roughly 2010. Since 2010, you can tell after the first year if a QB is going to be worth keeping after their first year as a starter. It's just too hard to not have some success at QB if you're going to have any success.

Quarterbacks yards per attempt in their first full year as a starter:
Patrick Mahomes - 8.8 yards per attempt.
Deshaun Watson - 8.3 yards per attempt.
Dak Prescott - 8.0 yards per attempt.
Baker Mayfield 7.7 yards per attempt.
Jameis Winston - 7.6 yards per attempt.
Marcus Mariota - 7.6 yards per attempt.
Mac Jones - 7.3 yards per attempt.
Justin Herbert - 7.3 yards per attempt.
Teddy Bridgewater - 7.3 yards per attempt.
Kyler Murray - 6.9 yards per attempt.
Justin Fields - 6.9 yards per attempt.
Sam Darnold - 6.9 yards per attempt.
Joe Burrow - 6.7 yards per attempt.
Jordan Love - 6.6 yards per attempt.
Daniel Jones - 6.6 yards per attempt.
Mitchell Trubisky - 6.6 yards per attempt.
Josh Allen - 6.5 yards per attempt.
Tua Tagovailoa - 6.3 yards per attempt.
Johnny Manziel - 6.3 yards per attempt.
Carson Wentz - 6.2 yards per attempt.
Zach Wilson - 6.1 yards per attempt.
Blake Bortles - 6.1 yards per attempt.
Trevor Lawrence - 6.0 yards per attempt.
Dwayne Haskings - 5.9 yards per attempt.
Drew Lock - 5.8 yards per attempt.
Josh Rosen - 5.8 yards per attempt.
Jared Goff - 5.3 yards per attempt.

As you can plainly see, if you're not completing 6.5 yards per attempt in your rookie year minimum, you're likely not going to have much in store for you in your NFL career.

This list also has plenty of examples of quarterbacks in bad situations in their first years coming back and having good NFL careers, but even those ones were above or at 6.5 yards per attempt (Allen, Burrow).

It's obviously not perfect and you can't tell HOW good a QB is going to be in their career, but it gives you a pretty good hint. A darn good hint. Mahomes at 8.8, Prescott at 8.0, Watson...

And there isn't a single QB who threw for less than 6.5 yards per attempt in their rookie year who went on to have a great or even good career. Johnny, Carson, Blake, Dwayne, Drew, Josh, Jared... They're all considered considerable busts.

So you look at Lawrence sitting between Bortles and Haskins and it doesn't inspire much confidence.

This is a pretty good stat cluster actually. Just can't put Jordan up there yet obviously. I'd imagine with Deguara's play that number would be ugly. 

2 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Which comment made you mad?

His account consists of a continuous stream of actual football takes. You should try that sometime.

They get real mad when people ruin their echo chamber. Apparently comparing Love to the QBs taken in the same draft is heresy.