1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

6 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Good things the Packers own him right? No wonder the players try to get very penny, even the fans turn on them at a second.

Hopefully the FO appreciates him and players more than fans do. 

I turned on Favre and I’ll turn on the next QB who puts himself above the team, too.

I’m a Packers fan, not a QB fan, and as soon as the QB is more harm than good to the PACKERS, I’ll turn on that ****er, too.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Why do we have to give him anything? We’re the Packers, not the quarterbacks.

Because we gave him the deal we did last off-season.  AR has the leverage now.

Why do you think MLF answered if AR says he can play next week, then he will play?

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

You have no idea if it is a franchise damaging contract.

Does it hurt?  You bet it does.  But it shouldn't be impossible to navigate and still be successful.

And yeah, I thought it was good for the organization.  And I'm not wavering on that point.  I like the fact that Rodgers wanted to retire a Packer and only play in that one uniform.  It's something that could be very unique in the NFL.

And that is me being sentimental.

It doesn't look as good, today, because Love just had a nice few series of football.  

Without the glimmer of hope from him, the contract looks even better.

This

Take it on the chin and get it over with as quickly as possible. Don't prolong it, a down season or so isn't exactly franchise damaging.

We drafted Rodgers, he has won 4 MVPs and a super bowl with us and made supporting Packers over the last 15 years fun. It would be great if he retired a Packer and I don't really want to see him play for anyone else - with hindsight would have been best if he retired at the end of last season but nobody forecasted how this year would go.

He probably should retire after this season. Brady is a freak - the injuries this year need to be telling him something. It is hard for guys approaching 40 to take these hits unscathed.

Love looked really promising. 

6 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Why do you think MLF answered if AR says he can play next week, then he will play?

Anything more.

Yeah. We have to honor the contract, but I’ll be damned if we give in to one more of his egocentric demands.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

1. Depends on when you cut him, b4 or after June 1st, and either way a bill is going to come due, either in 2023 or 2024. 

2. Why would you cut him when you can get a quality draft pick or two? 

The problem is Rodgers controls that situation. No team is going to give up anything for Rodgers unless he is agreeable to being traded there. Technically Rodgers does not have a no-trade clause in his contract. Realistically he does. 

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I turned on Favre and I’ll turn on the next QB who puts himself above the team, too.

I’m a Packers fan, not a QB fan, and as soon as the QB is more harm than good to the PACKERS, I’ll turn on that ****er, too.

What is your definition of put himself above the team ?

Don't want to break this to you but every player is going to get as much money as they can, with as much leverage as they can. So basically you hate all the ******s ?

MLF and Gute thought the Packers had a chance to win it all last year.  They thought the Packers had a chance to win it all this year.  They went all in.  (Fans often criticize GM's for NOT going more all-in.  And a lot of fans shared the mis-perception that this defense had a chance to be really good, myself included.  Oops!).  

Its Rodgers who controls his situation.  He's got the big contract. He's talked about retiring.  Does he love this kind of season, playing in pain?  Does he love this kind of season, playing with a lousy offense?  Does he love this kind of season, losing? 

It's kinda up to him.  If he wants to give it another go next year, with Bakhti and Jenkins back from the start; with Watson and Doubs ready from the start; and with the defense being what it is (perhaps minus a few salaries), he's got the right.  And if doesn't feel like this team gives them a sufficiently realistic chance to win it all next year, he's got the right to retire. 

But this will be Aaron's call.   

• Like 1

Just now, Brat&Beer said:

The problem is Rodgers controls that situation. No team is going to give up anything for Rodgers unless he is agreeable to being traded there. Technically Rodgers does not have a no-trade clause in his contract. Realistically he does. 

The reality is Rodgers is rich beyond imagination. He is also approaching 40. He isn't going to want to play for a bad team.

People can hate him for that but they are just utter hypocrites who would do the same in that situation.

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

What is your definition of put himself above the team ?

Don't want to break this to you but every player is going to get as much money as they can, with as much leverage as they can. So basically you hate all the ******s ?

That’s literally demonstrably false.

Brees, Favre, Manning - all of them have restructured their deal and signed extensions that HELPED their teams.

Brady has taken above 12% of the cap ONCE in his career.

Rosgers has never once re-signed nor restructured to benefit the Packers and he’s taken over 14% of the cap 6 times in his career.

So… Facts show you’re wrong. Literal facts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, craig said:

MLF and Gute thought the Packers had a chance to win it all last year.  They thought the Packers had a chance to win it all this year.  They went all in.  (Fans often criticize GM's for NOT going more all-in.  And a lot of fans shared the mis-perception that this defense had a chance to be really good, myself included.  Oops!).  

Its Rodgers who controls his situation.  He's got the big contract. He's talked about retiring.  Does he love this kind of season, playing in pain?  Does he love this kind of season, playing with a lousy offense?  Does he love this kind of season, losing? 

It's kinda up to him.  If he wants to give it another go next year, with Bakhti and Jenkins back from the start; with Watson and Doubs ready from the start; and with the defense being what it is (perhaps minus a few salaries), he's got the right.  And if doesn't feel like this team gives them a sufficiently realistic chance to win it all next year, he's got the right to retire. 

But this will be Aaron's call.   

This.

Honestly, you sit down with him and say we need to rebuild. We can't afford to keep the likes of Jones. Crosby isn't worth the money and we need to move on from Cobb.  We can't just keep these guys because they are his buddies and we can't keep cap kicking. You don't need to be a **** about it and start making demands.

If he wants to be part of a rebuild with the likes of Watson then fine. We go in that direction. Love probably has good trade value now so you trade him and start planning for one of the new wave ultra athletic QBs to draft when the right one is available.

If as expected, he wants to move on then fine. You don't be a **** and say you are going there. You find somewhere that works for both sides. Reality is you probably aren't getting a haul.

The keyboard warriors will disagree but haven't seen anything from Rodgers ever to suggest he is going to be a **** about it if both sides are respectful.

10 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

He only controls it if we let him. See Favre, Brett! He thought he controlled the situation after he retired and decided to return and would have his job back First off, we would have to figure out if he's retiring or not. If not, you make it clear to Rodgers we are moving forward with Jordan Love. 

Give him a list of 4 or 5 teams who we think would trade for him and tell him to pick 2 so we can potentially have them bid against one another. Option B would be retire. Option C would be we sit him on the bench and let him back up Jordan Love.

Option C would never happen for Rodgers, his ego would not allow it. 

You only lose leverage if you are not prepared to stick to your decision. He can retire and we can declare his retirement is post June 1st. 

24 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Because he's the starting quarterback and MLF will not stop thinking they can make the playoffs until he's officially eliminated. Come on man this isn't rocket science we are discussing. 

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That’s literally demonstrably false.

Brees, Favre, Manning - all of them have restructured their deal and signed extensions that HELPED their teams.

Brady has taken above 12% of the cap ONCE in his career.

Rosgers has never once re-signed nor restructured to benefit the Packers and he’s taken over 14% of the cap 6 times in his career.

So… Facts show you’re wrong. Literal facts.

You are comparing Manning and Brees guys on the downward spiral to a back-back MVP. Back to back MVPs are not going to drop their salary. Just not going to happen. They are going to do what Rodgers did and collect a big pay cheque but structure it so the cap hits in the next year or so aren't too bad.

I'll give you Brady - fair doos. 

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Because he's the starting quarterback and MLF will not stop thinking they can make the playoffs until he's officially eliminated. Come on man this isn't rocket science we are discussing. 

Which is 100% correct.

Unless you want a culture of encouraging your team to quit then you should be doing everything you can to fight to the end.

Although Rodgers is clearly limited physically at the moment. Watching Love, there is a case for saying he gives you the best chance. At least until Rodgers' various injuries improve.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

You left out a key component to this post. Rodgers was already under contract through this year. He signed a four-year deal which we basically tore up and gave him a ton of new cash. 

Gute should have told Rodgers to play on that deal and we'd be sitting in a whole different position regarding his leverage and our cap situation. 

And you are forgetting this.  The club and Rodgers mutually agreed to address said contract after the season with Rodgers determining if he would play for GB again.

This was not some new variable that was thrown out there.

So...let's just say that you do tell the 2X reigning MVP that he gets no new deal.  

You are doing that with Love having shown you next to nothing.

And you did the unprecedented thing.  You let a 4X MVP and reigning 2X MVP leave your organization.

You better be really, and I mean REALLY confident in the players and picks you are going to make to bridge that gap and perception.

Not saying it is impossible, am saying that no one else has ever had the stones to do it.