1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Hmmm.

Rodgers regressing for a couple of years.  

Draft Love.

Rodgers going Godgers and 2X MVP.

Now Love looks good after getting starters reps in practice and two full offseason.

Seems like the GM was very much ahead of the curve when looking at the most important position in football.

That's an amazing synopsis.  not a good one though.

Here's another:

Has a future HOF QB who has announced he wants to play 5 more years.   Ignores that and spends 2 draft picks on a QB.   New QB sits for the duration of his rookie contract where the money is favorable.

His future HOF QB pushes and gets the GM to pay him $50M per season on essentially a 3 year deal.   Gm agrees to it even though he invested his draft capitol on a backup QB.  Doesn't have enough faith in either the QB or his plan to follow through with it.

Future HOF QB gets hurt and also has a down season. His backup QB comes in and has a nice couple of series while down multiple scores.  He wants to move future HOF QB but at a $59 million cap hit to the team will have to strip the roster of talent.  

Nothing in my synopsis above is untrue.

Does the above sound like a GM who did a good job of planning ahead?    Not in my world.   That is the activity of a GM who needs to lose his job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Here's another:

Has a future HOF QB who has announced he wants to play 5 more years.   Ignores that and spends 2 draft picks on a QB.   New QB sits for the duration of his rookie contract where the money is favorable.

His future HOF QB pushes and gets the GM to pay him $50M per season on essentially a 3 year deal.   Gm agrees to it even though he invested his draft capitol on a backup QB.  Doesn't have enough faith in either the QB or his plan to follow through with it.

Future HOF QB gets hurt and also has a down season. His backup QB comes in and has a nice couple of series while down multiple scores.  He wants to move future HOF QB but at a $59 million cap hit to the team will have to strip the roster of talent.  

Does the above sound like a GM who did a good job of planning ahead?    Not in my world.   That is the activity of a GM who needs to lose his job.

I know you are dead set on Gute being fired, but it's not going to happen this year.  It probably was not all Gute's decision to throw the bag at Rodgers either .. it was probably directed by Murphy, or agreed upon by the four silos of terror.  I think everyone is safe until our next Team President is in place. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Here's another:

Slanted i would not call it true. The situation was and has not ever been black and white like you make it out to be. It seems you're just pushing your own narrative really. Gute dropping picks on a QB and not investing in another position because what the QB wants 5 more years. Gute not having faith and changing things after dropping picks on a QB means nothing. Your assuming things and calling them true. Sorry just had to point that out. Carry on though. 

33 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Slanted i would not call it true. The situation was and has not ever been black and white like you make it out to be. It seems you're just pushing your own narrative really. Gute dropping picks on a QB and not investing in another position because what the QB wants 5 more years. Gute not having faith and changing things after dropping picks on a QB means nothing. Your assuming things and calling them true. Sorry just had to point that out. Carry on though. 

What isn't true?   

Did Rodgers say he wanted to play 5 more years with the Packers?  Yes he did.

Did Gute spend a 1st and 4th round pick on Love?   Yes they did.

Has Love spent any time as the starter for the team?  No he has not.

Did Gute give Rodgers that ridiculous contract last offseason that makes him close to impossible to move?   Yes he did.

"Gute not having faith and changing things after dropping picks on a QB means nothing." - This where we break down.  Gute not properly evaluating the talent and putting the team in its current position means a huge amount.   Anyone can make the tough decisions after the fact.  The good GM's make the right decision most of the time up front.   It takes an incredibly forgiving and deluded fan base to accept that the Rodgers contract and the evalutions behind it were sound decisions for the team. 

You simply don't like it phrased in this fashion.   Nothing I typed was untrue that I am aware of.

Edited by hitnhope

52 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I know you are dead set on Gute being fired, but it's not going to happen this year.  It probably was not all Gute's decision to throw the bag at Rodgers either .. it was probably directed by Murphy, or agreed upon by the four silos of terror.  I think everyone is safe until our next Team President is in place. 

I agree that is most likely what took place.  How unfortunate. What poor management of our team.

4 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

What isn't true?   

Did Rodgers say he wanted to play 5 more years with the Packers?  Yes he did.

Did Gute spend a 1st and 4th round pick on Love?   Yes they did.

Has Love spent any time as the starter for the team?  No he has not.

Did Gute give Rodgers that ridiculous contract last offseason that makes him close to impossible to move?   Yes he did.

You simply don't like it phrased in this fashion.   Nothing I typed was untrue that I am aware of.

Those things are true with the exception of ridiculous contract. Why cause you say so:). 

You left out your other assumptions about Gute having faith in either and such. You just claimed those as truths like you were apart of Gutes decision at the time at any point. So your " WHY'S " are not true. What is stated above is again without the poor descriptors. 

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

Here's another:

Sounds like you are still pissed the Packers drafted Rodgers when we had Favre. You hold a grudge a long time. Worse, you reminisce about situations where the Packers remained at or near the top of the NFL food chain for over three decades now. 

Meanwhile a good portion of the NFL is looking for a serviceable starter and can't find one. See Chicago, Bears for 37 years of quarterback misery. 

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

Here's another:

To me?  If you want to find fault to Gute for signing the 2X reigning MVP to that deal, then go for it.

I won't fight you on it.  But I will ask you to provide me an example of another single time MVP who was traded or released the year after winning said MVP.

Then I'll tell you that the GM did see a regression in Rodgers.  He did draft his heir apparent.  And right now, that investment is looking pretty good.

I mean, you are arguing that it is bad for the GM to have two real QB's on the roster?

I know what you are driving at.  But the only fault I see is in the new Rodgers deal, and that isn't much of a fault given his play over the last 2 years.

And I guess I don't worry at all about Love's contract.  There's little reason to think that we won't give him a good offer to stay in GB and then a starters contract with escalators when he becomes the starter.

It's the same thing we did with Rodgers.  This is not uncharted water.

Just now, PACKRULE said:

Those things are true with the exception of ridiculous contract. Why cause you say so:). 

You left out your other assumptions about Gute having faith in either and such. You just claimed those as truths like you were apart of Gutes decision at the time at any point. So your " WHY'S " are not true. What is stated above is again without the poor descriptors. 

Do you think the Rodgers extension was good for the Packers organization?  

I said he needed to have the courage of his convictions to follow through with his plans.  He lacked that and gave out a franchise damaging contract.

I really want Doubs to come back Sunday so we can see what our offense could look like next year with Love as QB1. It's his time to shine.

Watson, Doubs, Lazard and Toure should be able to tear up the Bears secondary. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Sounds like you are still pissed the Packers drafted Rodgers when we had Favre. You hold a grudge a long time. Worse, you reminisce about situations where the Packers remained at or near the top of the NFL food chain for over three decades now. 

Meanwhile a good portion of the NFL is looking for a serviceable starter and can't find one. See Chicago, Bears for 37 years of quarterback misery. 

You have an amazing ability to be wrong.   I was for GB moving on from Favre and not letting a player hold the team hostage with retirement talk etc.    Notice TT unladed Favre.

That is the opposite of what GB currently has done.   Gute let AR hold the team hostage and take too much control of the situation.

I am critical of Gute because he did the exact opposite.  Can you not see that?

1 minute ago, hitnhope said:

Do you think the Rodgers extension was good for the Packers organization?  

I said he needed to have the courage of his convictions to follow through with his plans.  He lacked that and gave out a franchise damaging contract.

You have no idea if it is a franchise damaging contract.

Does it hurt?  You bet it does.  But it shouldn't be impossible to navigate and still be successful.

And yeah, I thought it was good for the organization.  And I'm not wavering on that point.  I like the fact that Rodgers wanted to retire a Packer and only play in that one uniform.  It's something that could be very unique in the NFL.

And that is me being sentimental.

It doesn't look as good, today, because Love just had a nice few series of football.  

Without the glimmer of hope from him, the contract looks even better.

2 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

You have an amazing ability to be wrong.   I was for GB moving on from Favre and not letting a player hold the team hostage with retirement talk etc.    Notice TT unladed Favre.

That is the opposite of what GB currently has done.   Gute let AR hold the team hostage and take too much control of the situation.

I am critical of Gute because he did the exact opposite.  Can you not see that?

I agree with the bolded part. The thing is, we can still move Rodgers this offseason, get our cap right in 2024 and be ready to roll.

I was for moving on from Rodgers a long, long time ago. Prior to drafting Love tbh. I want Love to play the rest of the year. Makes some moves in the off season to get your cap in a situation where you can extend him without breaking the bank. One of those moves is moving on from Rodgers. 

The salary cap can be manipulated as we've done for the past few years. I say, clean it up by moving on from guys with the biggest deals this off season: Rodgers, Bak, Jones (sadly but you don't pay RB's that kind of money), P. Smith, maybe Kenny Clarke depending on the return. 

Love to keep Lazard depending on what he's going to want money wise.