1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

11 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

You are comparing Manning and Brees guys on the downward spiral to a back-back MVP. Back to back MVPs are not going to drop their salary. Just not going to happen. They are going to do what Rodgers did and collect a big pay cheque but structure it so the cap hits in the next year or so aren't too bad.

I'll give you Brady - fair doos. 

I compared numbers of elite HOF quarterbacks and the numbers of years they played above 12% of the cap.

Rodgers was far and away the leader in this category.

He has consistently been paid the highest he could possibly be paid.

He’s never done anything selfless in his life.

Just ask the family he doesn’t talk to and his complete and total inability to keep anyone in his life.

He’s a narcissist. The literal definition of one.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I compared numbers of elite HOF quarterbacks and the numbers of years they played above 12% of the cap.

Just ask the family he doesn’t talk to and his complete and total inability to keep anyone in his life.

wasn't his first deal off his rookie deal very team friendly?

8 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

When did he sign it?

I don’t remember, but if you look somewhere in this sub forum Recently you’ll see that I put the disclaimer of post-2010 when Aaron’s ego took over.

So maybe.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I haven't done this. Will assume you are right.

But along with Brady (who probably did take less), he has been the most consistently elite QB over the last 15 years. Consistently elite QBs will be paid more. There are probably exceptions but players take the most money they can - partly because their agents have reputations to get a good deal). We can agree to disagree on this if you like but its how the world works and you are probably naive if you think otherwise.

Re the other stuff. I don't know Rodgers. He could be a proper scumbag for all I know. But neither do you. You literally know nothing about him whatsoever. The level of pretty extreme personal loathing towards him from so many people about stuff they know sweet FA about is pretty unsettling really. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

I haven't done this. Will assume you are right.

But along with Brady (who probably did take less), he has been the most consistently elite QB over the last 15 years. Consistently elite QBs will be paid more. There are probably exceptions but players take the most money they can - partly because their agents have reputations to get a good deal). We can agree to disagree on this if you like but its how the world works and you are probably naive if you think otherwise.

Re the other stuff. I don't know Rodgers. He could be a proper scumbag for all I know. But neither do you. You literally know nothing about him whatsoever. The level of pretty extreme personal loathing towards him from so many people about stuff they know sweet FA about is pretty unsettling really. 

The only elite aspect to Aaron’s game was his TD:INT ratio over the past four seasons and the fact he purposefully handicapped himself.

Imagine what he could have been if he hadn’t neglected the middle of the field over the past four to seven seasons.

49 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

And you are forgetting this.  The club and Rodgers mutually agreed to address said contract after the season with Rodgers determining if he would play for GB again.

This was not some new variable that was thrown out there.

So...let's just say that you do tell the 2X reigning MVP that he gets no new deal.  

You are doing that with Love having shown you next to nothing.

And you did the unprecedented thing.  You let a 4X MVP and reigning 2X MVP leave your organization.

You better be really, and I mean REALLY confident in the players and picks you are going to make to bridge that gap and perception.

Not saying it is impossible, am saying that no one else has ever had the stones to do it.

It would not have been a tough decision for me. Once you start acting like a Primadonna, it's time for you to go. 

The 'club' enabled Rodgers which is why he could hold them hostage for a new deal and prove to everyone it was not about winning as much is it is about getting the most money he could get. 

It immediately stopped being about anything but the money for him once he took his stance. That would have been an easy move for me as a GM. 

It takes balls to make a move like that and the guy in Seattle has a pair. The guy in GB doesn't. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Because he's the starting quarterback and MLF will not stop thinking they can make the playoffs until he's officially eliminated. Come on man this isn't rocket science we are discussing. 

No, it isn't rocket science.   If you think Rodgers is going away easily you don't understand a fairly simple situation.

MLF could have just as easily hedged his response.  He didn't hedge anything.  Do you think MLF doesn't understand that current playoff odds are 5%?

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The only elite aspect to Aaron’s game was his TD:INT ratio over the past four seasons and the fact he purposefully handicapped himself.

Imagine what he could have been if he hadn’t neglected the middle of the field over the past four to seven seasons.

He was MVP two of those four years.

You are entitled to your opinion which is fine, but the consensus is that he has been elite over most of his career. If the league thinks he elite (and they did) he will inevitably be paid like a consistently elite player. Again, that's life. If you think the league was wrong, then you will obviously think he shouldn't have been paid that.

I completely accept it is possible that you are right and the professionals are wrong but the odds on it being this way round are clearly incredibly low.

2 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

No, it isn't rocket science.   If you think Rodgers is going away easily you don't understand a fairly simple situation.

MLF could have just as easily hedged his response.  He didn't hedge anything.  Do you think MLF doesn't understand that current playoff odds are 5%?

"OFFICIALLY ELIMINATED!" Thought that was pretty clear. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

"OFFICIALLY ELIMINATED!" Thought that was pretty clear. 

It was clear.  It wasn't particularly cogent.  Look a little deeper.

Gute and MLF cast their lot with Rodgers when they gave him the contract.  If it proves to be bad for the Packers, or they trade Love for pennies on the dollar and he proves to have a future as a good starting QB the heat will be on them.   

They can't keep Rodgers at $50 mill+ and give Love $22 million to return.  You cant build a team tying that much into 1 position. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Didn't think the Packers' playoff chances are even that high.  538 has the Packers at 3%.

1 hour ago, craig said:

MLF and Gute thought the Packers had a chance to win it all last year.  They thought the Packers had a chance to win it all this year.  They went all in.  (Fans often criticize GM's for NOT going more all-in.  And a lot of fans shared the mis-perception that this defense had a chance to be really good, myself included.  Oops!).  

Its Rodgers who controls his situation.  He's got the big contract. He's talked about retiring.  Does he love this kind of season, playing in pain?  Does he love this kind of season, playing with a lousy offense?  Does he love this kind of season, losing? 

It's kinda up to him.  If he wants to give it another go next year, with Bakhti and Jenkins back from the start; with Watson and Doubs ready from the start; and with the defense being what it is (perhaps minus a few salaries), he's got the right.  And if doesn't feel like this team gives them a sufficiently realistic chance to win it all next year, he's got the right to retire. 

But this will be Aaron's call.   

It will be his call and he might just retire at the end of this year but I doubt it.  He loves the money and playing quarterback.  He just hates practice and preseason games and running a play he hates.  I still get a sense he remains highly competitive and an alpha dog.  But he needs to weigh his age and condition of his body into the question.  Plus mentally does he still want to go through the annual grind.  

But what does the team do if Love continues to play and performs well?  At that point, I'd have a conversation with him and say....we want to move onto Love.  That could force a trade demand, or he still might decide to retire, or he could force our hand by not cooperating and then the team needs to release him when the team chooses to do so this offseason.  In any event, he would probably want to know early on what the teams intentions are so he can make a decision and so can the Packers in terms of when they release him or trade him.  I would not limit the teams he gets traded to if he agrees to cooperate.

I hear people saying we should trade him and get draft picks.  But do you want his cooperation or not.  If Love is your guy moving forward, do what's right for the team.  Forget the picks if you have your guy.

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

Yes. TT put a good deal of faith in his development when he gave him that extension but he was pretty quickly playing over the contract’s value. After the super bowl and MVP season he wasn’t taking anything short of top of market, which is the level he played at. He still has incredible skills. I think if he is to go anywhere, he’ll want to be where he can run a version of the WCO which he has not been quiet about being a proponent of. 

• Like 1