1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

It doesn't matter one bit how attractive you make Aaron Rodgers in the trade market.  He has to want to go.  He can say I'm not playing there.  

He is in Green Bay next year, he's not starting over anywhere.  You can start your Jordan Love discussion for 2024.  If the Packers go that route.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

It doesn't matter one bit how attractive you make Aaron Rodgers in the trade market.  He has to want to go.  He can say I'm not playing there.  

He is in Green Bay next year, he's not starting over anywhere.  You can start you Jordan Love discussion for 2024.  If the Packers go that route.

Yah, this is it, isn't it?

He either retires next year.  Or plays for GB and makes enough money to buy an island somewhere.

If he is playing somewhere else, it is because he wants to and somehow the teams make the contract work.

23 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

He is in Green Bay next year, he's not starting over anywhere.  You can start you Jordan Love discussion for 2024.  If the Packers go that route.

Well, that's mostly true. But let's say Gute trades him to his least favorite destination. Carolina, NYJ, whereever.

Rodgers could threaten retirement, and cost himself $59M dollars. The destination team would be out nothing but what they traded. The Packers could trade Rodgers and a conditional 6th rounder to someone for a conditional 7th rounder in return. Rodgers would have no say.

The Packers would still carry $40M dead regardless of retirement or trade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Well, that's mostly true. But let's say Gute trades him to his least favorite destination. Carolina, NYJ, whereever.

Rodgers could threaten retirement, and cost himself $59M dollars. The destination team would be out nothing but what they traded. The Packers could trade Rodgers and a conditional 6th rounder to someone for a conditional 7th rounder in return. Rodgers would have no say.

Yes, but the Packers won't just give him away.  He's going to require a trade package (not a great one but enough teams don't want to just throw away).

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, this is it, isn't it?

He either retires next year.  Or plays for GB and makes enough money to buy an island somewhere.

If he is playing somewhere else, it is because he wants to and somehow the teams make the contract work.

Yes, I think thats the last think he wants is to go somewhere and go through a new system, new players, and the 2 year Rodgers Initiation Course with new skill players.   

I'd like to see Love get some playing time just to see what he can do, but I have no doubt the Packers know if he's the next QB or not.    Some of these QBs get an afternoon to make an impression in a tryout.  You're telling me he's been there for 3 years and they don't know? They know if he's the guy or not!!!!

30 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Isn't there a no trade thing in the Rodgers contract?  I thought I read that he had one of those.....  I'm just not positive about that.

9 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Yes, I think thats the last think he wants is to go somewhere and go through a new system, new players, and the 2 year Rodgers Initiation Course with new skill players.   

I'd like to see Love get some playing time just to see what he can do, but I have no doubt the Packers know if he's the next QB or not.    Some of these QBs get an afternoon to make an impression in a tryout.  You're telling me he's been there for 3 years and they don't know? They know if he's the guy or not!!!!

The Love thing is tougher, just due to contracts and timing.

But yah, I'll bet they know if they want him running the show or not, right now.  

Also....they want that decision solidified by him playing some games pretty soon.

But...it isn't all on GB right now.  Lots of moving parts could give Love the decision as to whether or not he wants to stay here.

And that dove tails back to what we all knew way back when.  No matter how you viewed the talent of Love, we probably took him a year or two too early in order to maximize the benefit of the rookie contract.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

But yah, I'll bet they know if they want him running the show or not, right now.  

Also....they want that decision solidified by him playing some games pretty soon.

But...it isn't all on GB right now.  Lots of moving parts could give Love the decision as to whether or not he wants to stay here.

And that dove tails back to what we all knew way back when.  No matter how you viewed the talent of Love, we probably took him a year or two too early in order to maximize the benefit of the rookie contract.

Agree on all that.  There's a lot that still can happen.  Be prepared for another drama filled offseason.  "He's coming back",  "He's retiring", "The trade is in place", "Gute and Rodgers come to blows", "Rodgers wants roster control", Rodgers demands to be Chairman of Packers BOD" and on and on.

Edited by NFLGURU

28 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If they don't want Love running the show, but think he has talent, they will be show casing him for the last couple of games. I like Love and hope he is GB's next QB, but Rodger's contract may have precluded that. 

Interesting I just watched Rodgers presser and he said a couple of interesting things. Firstly about being back and whether playing with a developing Watson factored into he said something along of the lines 'there had to be mutual interest about being back.' Interesting that maybe there is a hint that the organisation doesn't want him back....

Also he said this might be his last time at Soldier Field 'you never know'

He defo getting traded to an AFC team!!!!

The Packers have to make the decisions for next year starting at the very top.  Decisions above Lord Rodgers.  Murphy and Gute are the first decisions.  I would like the team to ask Murphy to retire, and Gute needs to be reviewed.  From there they need to make a decision on Frenchy, where I believe he will be retained.  THEN you make a decision on Ol Rodg.  3 things could happen in his regard.  He could be back, he could retire, he could be traded.  Most likely in that order.  Then you move on to present player retention including team plans to give Love the 5th year option.  Then you look at FA and the draft with the cap heavily the influencer.  You fire the coaches who did not meet expectations, starting with Barry.

Lots to do.  I would love for Rodg to be traded and still get some value, but I think at this point highly unlikely.  

If they want him to retire so the team can move forward just tell him they love a couple QB's in Round 1 of this coming draft and Love will get his 5th year.  That would be fun.

8 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Interesting I just watched Rodgers presser and he said a couple of interesting things. Firstly about being back and whether playing with a developing Watson factored into he said something along of the lines 'there had to be mutual interest about being back.' Interesting that maybe there is a hint that the organisation doesn't want him back....

No, he's being honest.  It take 2 sides to make this work, he's just stating that.  He doesn't speak for the Packers on if he's coming back.  They determine that. "There's gotta be mutual interest"