1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If Love is your franchise QB who cares about one year of dead cap? You can load up after one year of paying your dues.

That team would be rid of Bakh, Smith, Clark, Jones at that point via trade or release. We may lose the ability to extend Stokes or Myers but that's a trade off for Love being the guy.

Again, if there are teams calling on Rodgers this year, take it. I don't think there will be, meaning, he'll be here next year, like it or not.

That is the tradeoff for giving Rodgers an extension when he was under contract through next year. It's not hindsight in saying this was a dumb move by Gute to allow Rodgers to bully him through the media. There have been many of us who have been against that for either a few years or more. 

Look at what Seattle did with Wilson. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

And that dove tails back to what we all knew way back when. No matter how you viewed the talent of Love, we probably took him a year or two too early in order to maximize the benefit of the rookie contract.

Only in retrospect. Should have moved to him last year. No "took Love early" nonsense in that scenario. 

Edited by Smidgeon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Sure, if there's a market there. I'm just not sure there will be for one year of a QB that takes 2-3 years to mesh with his receivers. That big blemish wasn't visible last off-season, it was covered up by two consecutive MVPs, but it's there again. The Raiders are the only team I think he could be successful with next year, for obvious reasons.

Nobody is gonna think it'll take him 2-3 yrs to mesh with his new team. Not a single team remotely interested in him will even consider that. It's a complete non-issue IMO. Any one who would even consider that wouldn't consider trading for him in the first place.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Interesting I just watched Rodgers presser and he said a couple of interesting things. Firstly about being back and whether playing with a developing Watson factored into he said something along of the lines 'there had to be mutual interest about being back.' Interesting that maybe there is a hint that the organisation doesn't want him back....

Also he said this might be his last time at Soldier Field 'you never know'

He defo getting traded to an AFC team!!!!

Gute just addressed Rodgers comment.  Was asked what Rodgers meant.

Gute: Thats a question for him.  We really don't discuss things like that during the season, we are talking more about our team.  We made a big commitment to him this past offseason and it certainly wasn't for one year.

Said he has confidence in Love to move the team and score points and do the things we ask of our QBs.  Has seen him in practice and TCs and games.  He's gotten lots of snaps over time. Gute said he feels Love is a starting level QB.

Said they will put the players who give them the best chance to win each game.  Owes that to the players in the lockeroom and Matt feels the same way.  

Edited by NFLGURU

Interesting to hear Gute says they've seen enough of Love to make the decision on his 5th year. Don't need to see him play these last games. 

And when asked if he thinks Love can be a starting QB in the NFL he said he does. 

Chimes with what those Packers players were saying on the radio the other day about him being better than some other starters in the league. 

My hunch is the Packers have already decided they are likely to trigger the 5th year option.

If they keep Rodgers around next year and he plays lights out then it's possible they could still trade Love after the 2023 season to a QB needy team. A one year 20m deal for a QB with long term starter potential is not that expensive an experiment for a team with cap room, nor will it cripple them financially if it doesn't work out. 

But my guess is Love will be the next starting QB for the Packers, whether that be in '23 or '24. 

Edited by British

45 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

No, he's being honest.  It take 2 sides to make this work, he's just stating that.  He doesn't speak for the Packers on if he's coming back.  They determine that. "There's gotta be mutual interest"

I think that is the point the Packers have already shown massive commitment by giving him that deal, this implies they are regretting or wanting to move on from that deal, that the mutual interest has eroded. Hence also Gutey comment in his presser that they signed him to a deal that keeps him around for years. A game of poker is being played here

6 minutes ago, British said:

Interesting to hear Gute says they've seen enough of Love to make the decision on his 5th year. Don't need to see him play these last games. 

And when asked if he thinks Love can be a starting QB in the NFL he said he does. 

Chimes with what those Packers players were saying on the radio the other day about him being better than some other starters in the league. 

My hunch is the Packers have already decided they are likely to trigger the 5th year option.

If they keep Rodgers around next year and he plays lights out then it's possible they could still trade Love after the 2023 season to a QB needy team. A one year 20m deal for a QB with long term starter potential is not that expensive an experiment for a team with cap room, nor will it cripple them financially if it doesn't work out. 

But my guess is Love will be the next starting QB for the Packers, whether that be in '23 or '24. 

He said they'll make those decisions on the last games as the situations dictates with an approach to winning.

Note*The Packers don't have to decide on Loves 5th year until after the draft.  Will be interesting if that's a factor.

Big quote from Gute:  As I've learned from the time I walked into this building, whatever comes with having great QBs is worth it.  

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I think that is the point the Packers have already shown massive commitment by giving him that deal, this implies they are regretting or wanting to move on from that deal, that the mutual interest has eroded. Hence also Gutey comment in his presser that they signed him to a deal that keeps him around for years. A game of poker is being played here

I didn't get that at all from that.  They gave him a commitment, they expect it back.  

7 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

He said they'll make those decisions on the last games as the situations dictates with an approach to winning.

Note*The Packers don't have to decide on Loves 5th year until after the draft.  Will be interesting if that's a factor.

Big quote from Gute:  As I've learned from the time I walked into this building, whatever comes with having great QBs is worth it.  

Yes, but they always say they are going to try and win every game. An NFL GM is hardly going to say they plan to tank the rest of the season. 

I actually believe him, I think they take pride in their win loss record and any hint they are trying to lose would undermine the competitive balance in the league. 

But the more important thing for me was that he said they've already seen enough from Love to decide on his 5th year option. 

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

The Packers have to make the decisions for next year starting at the very top.  Decisions above Lord Rodgers.  Murphy and Gute are the first decisions.  I would like the team to ask Murphy to retire, and Gute needs to be reviewed.  From there they need to make a decision on Frenchy, where I believe he will be retained.  THEN you make a decision on Ol Rodg.  3 things could happen in his regard.  He could be back, he could retire, he could be traded.  Most likely in that order.  Then you move on to present player retention including team plans to give Love the 5th year option.  Then you look at FA and the draft with the cap heavily the influencer.  You fire the coaches who did not meet expectations, starting with Barry.

Lots to do.  I would love for Rodg to be traded and still get some value, but I think at this point highly unlikely.  

If they want him to retire so the team can move forward just tell him they love a couple QB's in Round 1 of this coming draft and Love will get his 5th year.  That would be fun.

You want the board to ask the 2nd most successful team president (to Harlan) since the 1960’s to retire?  A guy responsible for diversifying team revenue streams in order to secure the financial future of the franchise AND that has continued to oversee a football operation that has been top 5 since the year he took over? 

I just don’t understand it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Nobody is gonna think it'll take him 2-3 yrs to mesh with his new team. Not a single team remotely interested in him will even consider that. It's a complete non-issue IMO. Any one who would even consider that wouldn't consider trading for him in the first place.

Your last sentence just confirms my point? I'm not sure of his market because teams will consider that.

1 hour ago, British said:

I'd agree .. I almost expect one final season from Aaron in 2023, and then Love takes the reigns in 2024.  It's a long wait for Love, but it will be worth it for him.  He's put in a lot of time here and will be fully ready to rock in '24.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

4 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

It doesn't matter one bit how attractive you make Aaron Rodgers in the trade market.  He has to want to go.  He can say I'm not playing there.  

He is in Green Bay next year, he's not starting over anywhere.  You can start your Jordan Love discussion for 2024.  If the Packers go that route.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, this is it, isn't it?

He either retires next year.  Or plays for GB and makes enough money to buy an island somewhere.

If he is playing somewhere else, it is because he wants to and somehow the teams make the contract work.

For some reason this is really complicated for so many to understand. It’s not going to be just GB’s front office’s decision.

Edited by Arthur Penske