1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

It will be his call and he might just retire at the end of this year but I doubt it.  He loves the money and playing quarterback.  He just hates practice and preseason games and running a play he hates.  I still get a sense he remains highly competitive and an alpha dog.  But he needs to weigh his age and condition of his body into the question.  Plus mentally does he still want to go through the annual grind.  

But what does the team do if Love continues to play and performs well?  At that point, I'd have a conversation with him and say....we want to move onto Love.  That could force a trade demand, or he still might decide to retire, or he could force our hand by not cooperating and then the team needs to release him when the team chooses to do so this offseason.  In any event, he would probably want to know early on what the teams intentions are so he can make a decision and so can the Packers in terms of when they release him or trade him.  I would not limit the teams he gets traded to if he agrees to cooperate.

I hear people saying we should trade him and get draft picks.  But do you want his cooperation or not.  If Love is your guy moving forward, do what's right for the team.  Forget the picks if you have your guy.

Why would the Packers forget the picks .. they've invested millions in this guy and he has value to other teams.  Get as much as you can get.  No reason they can't get a solid return while also placing him with a team he is good with. 

No matter how you feel about Love and Rodgers, eventually father time wins. And at 39 father time is definitely knocking on Rodger's door. Whether he goes at the end of this year, or the next, or the next, he will be going relatively soon. 

If management feels Love has the "it" factor, then they better figure out how to keep him in GB. Great QBs are hard to find. 

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Imagine how much brighter their future would be right now.

It's wild how I would have argued Love has more trade value than Wilson last year and would have been laughed at by everyone.

Love has never had more trade value than Russ, but might have been a much better ROI. Hard to know exactly how things fell off of a cliff there and won’t throw stones since we’re in our own free fall. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Jordan is going to make some fan base happy for the next 4years I bet. Unless he goes absolute HAM and plays himself into a huge contract over the next 5 games.

If he does that then the ballsy move would be to trade him for a boatload of picks and let somebody else pay him that money. Suffer with Rodgers and his contract one more year and dump his ***. 

New team, new system, not easy.

• Like 1

Both Rodgers and Love will likely be here next year (2023).  The Packers have to decide by next May 2023 if they want Love for 2024.

I doubt they pick up that 5th year option, but can still negotiate with him for a different deal.  

The fork in the road is 2024.  They can't afford both QBs.  Love will have whatever playing time he gets the rest of the season, and next year to make his case.  If the Packers don't pick up his option in May, the ball is in his court in 2024.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Refugee said:

Love has never had more trade value than Russ, but might have been a much better ROI. Hard to know exactly how things fell off of a cliff there and won’t throw stones since we’re in our own free fall. 

Yeah those who suggest they saw this before hand are merely looking through the current details playing off their own thoughts in the past. Very easy to do for some.......you're on the money with your response. 

16 hours ago, Old Guy said:

It would not have been a tough decision for me. Once you start acting like a Primadonna, it's time for you to go. 

The 'club' enabled Rodgers which is why he could hold them hostage for a new deal and prove to everyone it was not about winning as much is it is about getting the most money he could get. 

It immediately stopped being about anything but the money for him once he took his stance. That would have been an easy move for me as a GM. 

It takes balls to make a move like that and the guy in Seattle has a pair. The guy in GB doesn't. 

Only it wasn't about the money.  It was about respect.  The club went to Rodgers with a new huge deal and he refused to sign it at the time because he wasn't happy with how the organization was being run.

That's why there was the "wait and see" game that was played out.

Then he signed the enormous deal.  

I'll concede that it was about the money, but it was also about how the organization was run.

And to be fair to Rodgers, I'm not a huge fan of his (off the field), but he had some very valid points.

We even laughed about him needing Cobb back.  And?  Cobb's been pretty darned fine when healthy.  And Cobb on this deal and his last deal is good for the club.

Concerning the guy in Seattle...he drafted poorly for so long that he had to do something.  And Wilson wanted out.  And Wilson has never, ever, not once ever received a single MVP vote.  Aaron Rodgers has won the award 4 times.  Including the last two years.  Very different situation.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Only it wasn't about the money.  It was about respect.  The club went to Rodgers with a new huge deal and he refused to sign it at the time because he wasn't happy with how the organization was being run.

That's why there was the "wait and see" game that was played out.

Then he signed the enormous deal.  

I'll concede that it was about the money, but it was also about how the organization was run.

And to be fair to Rodgers, I'm not a huge fan of his (off the field), but he had some very valid points.

We even laughed about him needing Cobb back.  And?  Cobb's been pretty darned fine when healthy.  And Cobb on this deal and his last deal is good for the club.

Concerning the guy in Seattle...he drafted poorly for so long that he had to do something.  And Wilson wanted out.  And Wilson has never, ever, not once ever received a single MVP vote.  Aaron Rodgers has won the award 4 times.  Including the last two years.  Very different situation.

You are re-writing the chronological order of history. Rodgers went on Mcafee's show to air his grievance about how he thought after his MVP year he'd have gotten a new deal. Then he went off about how they should trade him if they didn't want him around. HE also went off about wanting to be a part of the decision making regarding who they brought in. 

The contract you are saying he rejected, and the other stuff happened AFTER that.