1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Look at the success rate of late FRPs.  It's not great.  You'll get some solid players, but usually nothing great.  In the 26-32 range, the best players you've seen are Tre'Davious White, T.J. Watt, Kenny Clark, and Byron Jones.  The HR rate that late in the draft is less than 20%.  You have a better chance of hitting a double then you do of hitting a HR with that pick.  The Packers went up swinging for the fences, guess we will find out if they hit a HR or struck out.

And with the additions made the previous year one more solid player could make all the difference on defense. I truly believed that and even mentioned that exact thing when speaking about Epenesa. Add a WR in Round 2 and I would have been eager to see what happened. I wanted to find out. You also conveniently forgot to mention the hit rate of QB's taken at #30 ish. 

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Speed is great... when he can’t catch consistently wentz will ignore him and go to ertz.

He had questions about his catching... not the best thing for a first round wr 

It's something he has to work on, but those numbers don't tell the whole story. His QBs who were throwing to him were, to put it nicely, absolute dog crap. "Catchable Balls" doesn't mean "well thrown pases"

Edited by Danger

3 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Well, it cost you a late 4th round pick to have him fall to you, bud. A hooker’s not a date. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

FTFY

The price of the hooker has no effect on the analogy, but it does have an effect on the quality of the hooker. 

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There is no bigger bull**** than the argument of 30 years of HOF QB play. 

It's a strong-sounding argument, like playing a power chord on a Les Paul through Marshalls.

But it doesn't sustain.

1 minute ago, mikebpackfan said:

I really don't get the trade up.  Let the draft come to you.  If you don't like your choices, trade back even if you don't get perfect value.

I doubt this pans out.  He just doesn't strike me as a difference maker.  Could be a serviceable guy as a ceiling.  Hope I'm wrong and we just did the incredible back to back to back...

So never trade up?

I also don't get the idea that he's going to be serviceable.

I feel like if you're looking at Love as a prospect, you either think he's going to be great or terrible. I don't know where serviceable factors in. 

• Like 1

You can analyze this pick 100 different ways, which it already has been. Regardless about what you feel, Love was the top guy on Gutes board and probably by a wide margin. I'm guessing the had a top 15 grade on him, whether they are right or not, we will see. 

Love has the best arm talent in this draft, I think that's pretty clear based on his tape and his combine performance. I think the main thing with Love is that hes extremely raw and multiple scheme changes at Utah State which stunted his progression number wise. 

End of the day this is a long term pick. You can love it or hate it but it is what it is. Gute and Co. are hoping the coaching staff can groom him to be ARods replacement and turn out to be a solid starter who wins you games. Packers obviously groom QBs different than other teams. They aren't afraid to take a guy they love when they already have a generational talent on the roster. 

It's obviously frustrating in the sense you feel as if you can win now. However if you feel Love has Pat Mahomes like tools, why the hell not? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iskra said:

Who'd you rather have in there?

Someone who can throw a deep ball, who will throw a pass, who won’t take forever to throw a pass, who will give receivers a chance, who will dive for a fumble, and who is making about 20 million less dollars per year.

Just now, cannondale said:

And with the additions made the previous year one more solid player could make all the difference. I truly believed that and even mentioned that exact thing when speaking about Epenesa. I wanted to find out. You also conveniently forgot to mention the hit rate of QB's taken at #30 ish. 

Except we spent the last 4 months hearing about how flawed the Packers are.  Either way, we're getting further away from the point.  The point goes back to the reality that if you think you have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB, you do it.  Especially when your current franchise QB is 36 years old and playing some of his worst football of his career.  As for Epenesa, he's a lousy athlete and a miserable fit in our defense.  And I'd argue the odds are stacked against Love.  But you don't pass on a franchise QB for a "safer" pick.  How many teams passed on a safer pick instead of Rodgers?

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I understand the positive thinking, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.  Dude has a lot to prove (and fortunately, a long time to do it.)

Of course he does but every draft pick does. If we drafted Mims at 30... and Rodger Ls ignored throwing to him because he can’t get on the same page was it useful?

Gute has his Ted moment. He did all to win now last year... this year he saw a guy worth developing. And he didn’t mind pulling the trigger regardless what everyone thinks. GB has another 20 years of amazing QB play every nfl fan base will hate us... because it’s not their team.

Just now, Iskra said:

It's a strong-sounding argument, like playing a power chord on a Les Paul through Marshalls.

But it doesn't sustain.

The argument is nonsense. There's not 30 years of HOF play. We got about 5 out of Favre and got about 6 out of Rodgers. That's tremendous luck, but it's not 30 damn years or anything close.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So never trade up?

I also don't get the idea that he's going to be serviceable.

I feel like if you're looking at Love as a prospect, you either think he's going to be great or terrible. I don't know where serviceable factors in. 

Not to mention trading up definitely worked out great in the case of Alexander and more than likely Savage as well.