1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

1 minute ago, Lodestar said:

I really hope people cut it out with the Mahomes comparisons, like now. That is just ridiculous and unfair to the kid. 

That said, you couldn't possibly have given this guy a better opportunity to succeed. He gets to sit and watch a HOF for the next couple years while being molded by hand to run LaFleur's offense. I can understand why LaFleur was so happy with the pick. Here's hoping it works half as well as it did for Rodgers-McCarthy.

And let's not forget this...we've got Rodgers under contract for a long time.  Even with his decline, we are going to win games and that will put us out of reach of other potential franchise QB's.  

And with that contract?  We can get out of it next year with very minimal cap savings, but still, savings.  4-5M.

The year after?  We can trade, get some good value for Aaron and have draft picks to groom while Love ascends.

It's unlike Favre in that contract and his retirement talks.  Rodgers is going to have some value in two years.  And we can capitalize on that.

56 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Possible it turns out, but far from likely.

so just like anything else in the NFL. If you're waiting for *likely* success on anything in the NFL, you'll be waiting a long time. most things are unlikely if you look at the percentages. but recent success sometimes spoils people's expectations. 

8 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I really hope people cut it out with the Mahomes comparisons, like now. That is just ridiculous and unfair to the kid. 

That said, you couldn't possibly have given this guy a better opportunity to succeed. He gets to sit and watch a HOF for the next couple years while being molded by hand to run LaFleur's offense. I can understand why LaFleur was so happy with the pick. Here's hoping it works half as well as it did for Rodgers-McCarthy.

When you make player comps you don’t say that player X is going to be as good As his comp, you’re saying that the college player plays like and has similar traits as his comp. Pat Mahomes is a good comp for Jordan Love. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Anyone else see that Schefter report that if Jordan Love kept falling LaFleur would mandate the selection of him?

At the very least everyone in the room likes the prospect. He has their support moving forward.

I mean, he has to have their full support at this point. This draft choice could cost jobs in the future if it fails.

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Anyone else see that Schefter report that if Jordan Love kept falling LaFleur would mandate the selection of him?

At the very least everyone in the room likes the prospect. He has their support moving forward.

Honestly I wonder how Rodgers feels about this pick.

18 minutes ago, SSG said:

I agree.  You can't put Love's ability to read defenses or decision making into the same category as Burrows.  There is a reason Love lead FBS in INTs this last year.  He's got as load of potential but his decision making is awful at times.  Utah state tried to make him into more of a pro style QB this year and the result was a ton of INTs.  

Don't think you could just plug any warm body into LSU's offense this year and expect the record setting season Burrows had. 

What Burrows would we have seen in 2019 if plugged into a new Utah State offense with 9 new starters, a new coaching staff and a new system?   #1 pick Burrows?   

Just now, packfanfb said:

I mean, he has to have their full support at this point. This draft choice could cost jobs in the future if it fails.

Like as fans we all love our older players... wonder if Rodgers wasn’t that great to work with for LaFleur? And with new staff they want their guy.

There is a reason Love lead FBS in INTs this last year.

OMG with this crap.  The last FBS QB to lead the FBS in interceptions and get drafted in the first round was Dan Marino. 

Next people are going to be saying his hand size means he will suck. 

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Like as fans we all love our older players... wonder if Rodgers wasn’t that great to work with for LaFleur? And with new staff they want their guy.

Don't think it's that deep. There aren't any issues between Rodgers and LaFleur. This is simply the Packers seeing an opportunity they feel good about and it fast-tracks Rodgers' exit from Green Bay to probably 2 years away instead of 4. Rodgers was never going to play QB here past this contract. So instead of leaving after 2023, he's probably now leaving after 2021. That's what this is. 

Seriously I saw someone ask about if Love had played for LSU. I'm not sure he's not #1 overall on a power team like that. I thought he was better than Herbert and Tua was a huge medical question I can't evaluate.

If you think Love has that kind of upside, the pick (and trade) seem like smart moves. I get the concern. I also see a young QB drafted into an ideal situation to make a transition. 

As a Packers fan, I'm going to chose to hope it works that way. If it does, we could be blessed with 35-40 years of good to great qb play.