Jump to content
KingTitan

2020 1st Round Pick- Isaiah Wilson OT- Georgia

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

My only thing is what if Kelly is fine and pans out then we just wasted a 1st rounder on a back up

I wish we went CB or OLB 

regardless if kelly works out, he's 30. when wilson is up to speed, he will be the better player. wilson with his traits at 22 years old will be much better than dennis kelly at 31 years old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thing is we didn't really just spend our first rounder on a guy who isn't even going to play much, did we? Like we're trying to close the gap between us and KC and our answer is to draft a tackle who won't start this year instead of grabbing an edge or corner or DL or something that can actually make an instant impact?

I dunno. Just hearing about how many issues he has it would seem Kelly can likely hold him off at RT. I'm just gonna be so disappointed if we're waiting a long time for this pick to actually make an impact when our window for a SB run is literally right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

My thing is we didn't really just spend our first rounder on a guy who isn't even going to play much, did we? Like we're trying to close the gap between us and KC and our answer is to draft a tackle who won't start this year instead of grabbing an edge or corner or DL or something that can actually make an instant impact?

I dunno. Just hearing about how many issues he has it would seem Kelly can likely hold him off at RT. I'm just gonna be so disappointed if we're waiting a long time for this pick to actually make an impact when our window for a SB run is literally right now.

Drafting to reinforce positions that are already strengths with high upside youth is how you keep a window open as long as possible 

we arent a late first round draft pick away from beating KC. We need to build a team that has staying power and that’s what JRob is doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Drafting to reinforce positions that are already strengths with high upside youth is how you keep a window open as long as possible 

we arent a late first round draft pick away from beating KC. We need to build a team that has staying power and that’s what JRob is doing.

Remaining notably behind KC but keeping the window open doesn't accomplish a whole lot and relies on hoping KC screws up and you make a really good run at it one year.

And you absolutely can get players in the late first that can make a big impact towards beating KC. Rashaan Evans, Jeffrey Simmons, Kevin Byard, Jayon Brown, Jonnu Smith, Harold Landry, AJ Brown and can maybe even throw Nate Davis in to this if he continues his improvement from late last season are all guys drafted late first round or not even in the first round at all by this GM that make very positive(it varies some player to player obviously, but still) contributions towards trying to be a super bowl team/trying to beat KC.

If Kelly were 35 and we didn't just sign him to a 3 year deal I'd understand more about preparing for the future. But he's only 30 and we did just sign him for 3 years.

At least the "draft a WR for when Corey Davis leaves argument" has some kind of legs because Davis is likely gone next year(even though I still hate that idea), but this?

It's just so disappointing.

Hopefully they announce signing Clowney soon so we at least have that to enjoy.

And I could probably be a little happier about the pick if the guy we just picked didn't have so many issues apparent in his game. He looks like a notably worse version of Conklin(run blocking specialist, pass blocking not so much, but his pass blocking looks far worse than Conklin's), who most this forum couldn't wait to get rid of for whatever reason.

Hopefully he's the next DAvid Stewart or Jon Runyan and we've got that going for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Remaining notably behind KC but keeping the window open doesn't accomplish a whole lot and relies on hoping KC screws up and you make a really good run at it one year.

And you absolutely can get players in the late first that can make a big impact towards beating KC. Rashaan Evans, Jeffrey Simmons, Kevin Byard, Jayon Brown, Jonnu Smith, Harold Landry, AJ Brown and can maybe even throw Nate Davis in to this if he continues his improvement from late last season are all guys drafted late first round or not even in the first round at all by this GM that make very positive(it varies some player to player obviously, but still) contributions towards trying to be a super bowl team/trying to beat KC.

If Kelly were 35 and we didn't just sign him to a 3 year deal I'd understand more about preparing for the future. But he's only 30 and we did just sign him for 3 years.

At least the "draft a WR for when Corey Davis leaves argument" has some kind of legs because Davis is likely gone next year(even though I still hate that idea), but this?

It's just so disappointing.

Hopefully they announce signing Clowney soon so we at least have that to enjoy.

And I could probably be a little happier about the pick if the guy we just picked didn't have so many issues apparent in his game. He looks like a notably worse version of Conklin(run blocking specialist, pass blocking not so much, but his pass blocking looks far worse than Conklin's), who most this forum couldn't wait to get rid of for whatever reason.

Hopefully he's the next DAvid Stewart or Jon Runyan and we've got that going for us.

Who cares that we extended Kelly? He's a guy that you, ideally, don't have starting at RT and ideally Wilson is replacing him sometime in 2020 or going into 2021. Are we then investing a few more bucks than we should in a backup swing T? Yeah, but given the # of meaningful snaps Kelly has played for us as a backup swing T, who cares? 

The best teams continue to re-stock and re-load, even at positions where the "starter" is already penciled in. The more we keep getting better in the trenches, the more we'll be set up for success in the long run. I'm not going to sit here and say there isn't risk in the pick (but there's risk in any pick). If he doesn't take the step to displace Kelly, then yea, we blew the pick. But that's the draft, for ya.

Just two of the players that you listed were first round draft picks, so clearly JRob has excelled at finding talent in rounds 2-4...it's his bread and butter. So if you're so concerned around closing the gap with KC, let's see how we approach today.

 

 

edit - and even the corey davis example  doesn't really work. odds are that any rookie WR is going to have to fight for snaps this season and wouldn't formally replace Davis until next year (not saying that a rookie WR wouldn't/couldn't have an impact this year. but it's a crowded WR room right now with the top 3 guys clearly defined). What's the difference with having a RT ready for 2021? I'd argue that the 'need' only position likely to get serious snaps would be corner due to us running a lot of 4-2-5

Edited by deeluxx3
-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not sexy, it hasn’t resulted in a SB (yet), but this is who we want to be, people 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

Remaining notably behind KC but keeping the window open doesn't accomplish a whole lot and relies on hoping KC screws up and you make a really good run at it one year.

And you absolutely can get players in the late first that can make a big impact towards beating KC. Rashaan Evans, Jeffrey Simmons, Kevin Byard, Jayon Brown, Jonnu Smith, Harold Landry, AJ Brown and can maybe even throw Nate Davis in to this if he continues his improvement from late last season are all guys drafted late first round or not even in the first round at all by this GM that make very positive(it varies some player to player obviously, but still) contributions towards trying to be a super bowl team/trying to beat KC.

If Kelly were 35 and we didn't just sign him to a 3 year deal I'd understand more about preparing for the future. But he's only 30 and we did just sign him for 3 years.

At least the "draft a WR for when Corey Davis leaves argument" has some kind of legs because Davis is likely gone next year(even though I still hate that idea), but this?

It's just so disappointing.

Hopefully they announce signing Clowney soon so we at least have that to enjoy.

And I could probably be a little happier about the pick if the guy we just picked didn't have so many issues apparent in his game. He looks like a notably worse version of Conklin(run blocking specialist, pass blocking not so much, but his pass blocking looks far worse than Conklin's), who most this forum couldn't wait to get rid of for whatever reason.

Hopefully he's the next DAvid Stewart or Jon Runyan and we've got that going for us.

So then why not have a little bit if faith he knows what he's doing, since his track record would suggest he is good at finding value in low or non-1st round picks?

I personally don't know who the kid is at all. He looks like a mauler in the running game, which is something that would fit us.

He may not necessarily be who I wanted, mainly because I had no idea who he was, but I can live with it for now.

I definitely don't think paying Kelly was enough to keep us from drafting a better prospect at RT if they saw one.

And I definitely don't think this is a losing strategy at all. It's teams that go all in because they feel like their window is closing that usually don't work out, while smart teams are trying to maintain their state of the roster planning ahead. It's what keeps the good teams at the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought if we ended up going OT, it would’ve been Wilson over guys like Jones and Jackson. Jackson obviously went earlier but I felt Wilson was easily the better scheme fit. Neither Jones or Jackson were stepping in starting in this offense with how weak they are. Wilson obviously struggles with movement but if he gets his hands on you, you’re done. I think he needs to lose some weight and continue to refine his body and obviously his technique. I think he’s raw but he’s still very young. I wanted CB more than anything and we literally had our choice of a bunch of guys. I feel it was pretty pointless to take an OT that high with what’s already on the roster but they must’ve loved him that much. Not really going to question Robinson much anymore considering his track record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think more than anything I love this pick, because it says that we finally have a true identity. We're a physical tough football team, and that's not just lip service anymore like it has been in years past.  We're doing things OUR way building OUR culture.  The trenches are the heartbeat of our team, and adding a huge young mauler with a mean streak to our OLIne and having the biggest most physical running back in the league running behind him is something that's going to wear teams down especially later in the season.  The good teams double down on their strengths before they can become a weakness. 

I'm not as worried about the "we need someone to help right now to beat the Chiefs" argument, because I fully believe Clowney is on his way, and he'll directly impact the defense in so many ways immediately. Plus I'm confident that we'll find our CB to replace Logan Ryan today. I really like what we're building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Maybe he is replacing Nate Davis.
Making Davis depth?

Either way..I don't like it. 
WIlson was an OG at Georgia and by looking at his numbers, don't look like he has the athletic ability to be an OT.

Like people have pointed out, Wilson is a tackle.  And I don't see the FO throwing in the towel on a third round guard just coming off of his rookie season, especially when he improved over it.

8 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

I have no problem with this pick at all. This is in our DNA. We just added another piece to our OLine that has all the tools to be very successful especially in our scheme. This is the perfect situation for him to be in too. He can improve at his own pace, and won't be forced into starting right away, but gives us a future starter and helps our depth tremendously at Tackle and at Guard. OLine picks are never sexy, but the more I think about it I think I love it.

Meh.  I have no problem taking a tackle, but I had Cleveland and Jones higher, though I know Wilson is a better fit at RT than they are.  I had Wilson as a late second/early third, though I know others had him a lot higher, and he was supposed to go in this range, it's just really hard to see him as the actual best player available.  YGM, Epenesa, Gladney, Diggs, and even Mims I had higher.  Not to mention like four DLs, though they can be had way later.  Also the RBs.

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

My thing is we didn't really just spend our first rounder on a guy who isn't even going to play much, did we? Like we're trying to close the gap between us and KC and our answer is to draft a tackle who won't start this year instead of grabbing an edge or corner or DL or something that can actually make an instant impact?

I dunno. Just hearing about how many issues he has it would seem Kelly can likely hold him off at RT. I'm just gonna be so disappointed if we're waiting a long time for this pick to actually make an impact when our window for a SB run is literally right now.

Yeah, that would be unprecedented for the Titans, wouldn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
“Wilson’s best fit especially early in his career, would be with a team the features the run game as it’s offensive foundation(with playaction pass game as a staple) so he play to his strengths and continue to improve on pass protection”
Edited by ttitansfan4life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the frustration over not getting a player who probably won't have an immediate impact. Based off Jon Robinson draft history and mentality, he drafts guys based on their role in year 2 and beyond, not their rookie years.

So with that in mind, the fact that he does fill a need(even if you believe in Dennis Kelly) and how much Wilson fits our team mentality and playstyle to a t, and I can't be upset or disappointed in the pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

 

Well, that last sentence couldn’t possibly describe us more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Clowney, I’m fine with this pick. There’s been a lot of talk about how this rookie class is likely going to struggle early anyways since training camp will be their first in person meeting with the team. Lack of rookie OTAs and minicamps makes it tough, so with that in mind, taking a higher ceiling player that fits the scheme and doesn’t need to start from a Day 1 makes sense.

Without Clowney, not addressing the defense with one of the quality corners or pass rushers on the board is real frustrating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×