2020 NFL Draft - Day Two Discussion

RpMc

2 minutes ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

The debate is half the fun! It's completely worthwhile to have an open discourse and relay differing opinions.

Ok cool, personally as a Redskins fan I would hate to lose Williams by trade or next offseason. He leads on and off the field. His job is to protect the QB, and when on the field he does that at a Elite Level. 7x All Pro. Has been since 2012. Didn't miss the 2019 season because of injury, he just sat out because of management. His talent is decling really? How do you let this guy go for anything lower than a 2nd round pick? He's a top 5 guy who protects the QB's blindside. 

No rookie LT in the draft would match Williams Expericence, Talent, and Knowlegede of what to expect on the and off field in the NFL. This is why I make this deal with Washington if I'm any team looking to protect my "Franchise QB" at this point in the draft. 

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Thanks for stopping by to check on our level of interest. If you ever want to talk about a trade of Scherff I would love to have him. In the meantime, I hope the best for your team and hope they draft well. I have a personal interest in seeing the Redskins do well as they are a division rival of the much hated Dallas Cowboys. Do what you have to do to beat them twice. Thanks

Adding Young and Lamb to this Rivalry has made this matchup even more exciting. Damn I'm pissed Cee Dee fell to them. Didn't see that coming! 

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Ok cool, personally as a Redskins fan I would hate to lose Williams by trade or next offseason. He leads on and off the field. His job is to protect the QB, and when on the field he does that at a Elite Level. 7x All Pro. Has been since 2012. Didn't miss the 2019 season because of injury, he just sat out because of management. His talent is decling really? How do you let this guy go for anything lower than a 2nd round pick? He's a top 5 guy who protects the QB's blindside. 

No rookie LT in the draft would match Williams Expericence, Talent, and Knowlegede of what to expect on the and off field in the NFL. This is why I make this deal with Washington if I'm any team looking to protect my "Franchise QB" at this point in the draft. 

he's also under contract for only one more year, why would a team give up a second round pick for a year of any player's services? even if you extend him, you can just sign him next off season and not give up a high pick for the privilege of paying him a lot of money.

6 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I don't mean to argue about it because I hear you don't want to debate the issue. But I hate to be the person to break this to you: Your team already has lost Trent Williams. At this point it is just a matter of whether you get anything for him or force him to retire.

• Like 2

Just now, RpMc said:

Laremy Tunsil just got 3 years, 66M - if we trade for Williams, what are you comfortable giving him on a new deal?

if it takes $20+ mil AAV then i'm happy trading a 5th or 6th rounder for him this season and collecting a comp pick the following season. 

we're going to have to manage cap fairly carefully the next few seasons and o'neill is probably going to command a bunch of money soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whitehops said:

he's also under contract for only one more year, why would a team give up a second round pick for a year of any player's services? even if you extend him, you can just sign him next off season and not give up a high pick for the privilege of paying him a lot of money.

It seems unlikely any team will be able to just sign him next offseason. If the Redskins trade him, the team he goes to would extend him. If the Redskins don't trade him his contract tolls when he sits out again. I would give up something in a trade for him, but Mr @RpMc does bring up a good point about what it would cost to sign him. It might be too much for us, just as it is too much for the Redskins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Laremy Tunsil just got 3 years, 66M - if we trade for Williams, what are you comfortable giving him on a new deal?

The numbers @Krauser tossed out the other day seem fair. Four years, $64M, with the possibility of getting out of it after the second year iirc.

Older players don't cost as much as younger players. See Tom Brady and Drew Brees' contracts for an example.

Just now, Cearbhall said:

The numbers @Krauser tossed out the other day seem fair. Four years, $64M, with the possibility of getting out of it after the second year iirc.

Older players don't cost as much as younger players. See Tom Brady and Drew Brees' contracts for an example.

Both Brady and Brees took team friendly deals - I can only imagine Williams is seeing this and feeling right in the fact that he should get $20M per.

58 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Would likely cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 58, 89, and 176 - who has the pick right in front of Jacksonville you ask?  Kevin Stefanski and the Cleveland Browns.

Tho I'm not a big big fan of Cleveland, we certainly need to put it out, that we are going to take LT, for Washington to **** or get off the pot, with the day 3 pick offer

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Both Brady and Brees took team friendly deals - I can only imagine Williams is seeing this and feeling right in the fact that he should get $20M per.

Yeah, it would be a good idea for the team to get an idea of Williams' expectations if they were to trade for him. I hope the Redskins have given interested teams permission to talk to Williams' agent on that topic. If not, they'll have trouble getting a team to give up much in a trade. 

5 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Tunsil is 26 this year, and the Texans traded a 1st rounder for him. He had all the leverage. 

Solder, Castonzo and Whitworth are better comparisons. Williams should be the best player of that group but he's a 32 year old and this isn't a UFA bidding war, so I think he would get $16M-ish for 3-4 years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krauser said:

Tunsil is 26 this year, and the Texans traded a 1st rounder for him. He had all the leverage. 

Solder, Castonzo and Whitworth are better comparisons. Williams should be the best player of that group but he's a 32 year old and this isn't a UFA bidding war, so I think he would get $16M-ish for 3-4 years.

This.

1 minute ago, Krauser said:

Solder signed his deal two years ago, and as you've said Castanzo isn't really in Williams league.  I would have to think that $18M is the low end his camp would be asking for.