2020 NFL Draft - Day Two Discussion

RpMc

Just now, RpMc said:

Solder signed his deal two years ago, and as you've said Castanzo isn't really in Williams league.  I would have to think that $18M is the low end his camp would be asking for.

OK, sure. But I don't think he'll be making $22M+ or anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krauser said:

Neither do I, but he's got another, current, reference point from which to frame his contract.  Between Castonzo at $16.5 APY and Tunsil at $22.0 APY

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't mean to argue about it because I hear you don't want to debate the issue. But I hate to be the person to break this to you: Your team already has lost Trent Williams. At this point it is just a matter of whether you get anything for him or force him to retire.

They haven't because he's still under contract with them. Does he reallly miss out on 2 year's worth of NFL pay? He retires and then tries to come back in 2021-2022 season? I can't see how that benefits Trent. So he has to play this season. 

Again theirs no player you draft better than Williams at protecting the QB on the board. Even if I just get him one year for I believe just below 15 million. We can renegotiate immediately (passed physical) or during the season. Trent if he plays his cards right. Come out in beastmode in 2020 and show his still "ELITE" and get his money then. 

5 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Agreed. If he would choose retirement over anything less than $20M I would let him retire.

If they started negotiations at $18M I would at least talk to him. The terms of deal other than salary would have to be favorable to the team. Something like starting at $15M in the first year maybe with a bit more tied to incentives, then escalating by a million a year.  That is $66M with the rest of what is needed to bring it to $18M per year based on incentives and per game roster bonuses of around $1.5M/year.

Edited by Cearbhall

on a side note, i'm glad that laremy tunsil got paid. it was a really crappy thing that happened to him before the draft and it cost him $8+ million dollars (assuming he would've been the first tackle taken at 6th overall). 

obviously the smoking video didn't change what a talent he was but it is still a very expensive act of sabotage. luckily he didn't have his career derailed by injuries or anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

They haven't because he's still under contract with them. Does he reallly miss out on 2 year's worth of NFL pay? He retires and then tries to come back in 2021-2022 season? I can't see how that benefits Trent. So he has to play this season. 

Again theirs no player you draft better than Williams at protecting the QB on the board. Even if I just get him one year for I believe just below 15 million. We can renegotiate immediately (passed physical) or during the season. Trent if he plays his cards right. Come out in beastmode in 2020 and show his still "ELITE" and get his money then. 

I don't think Trent Williams blinks at missing out on his salary. To him it is a principle thing and he has dug in. He has already made enough to be comfortable the rest of his life. There are plenty of other players that have retired young, foregoing more than a couple years of salary. It is not unprecedented.

I do agree with you that there is no player left on the board in the draft better than Williams at protecting the QB. Between his salary expectations and Williams' refusal to play for the Redskins it will be hard to get much value out of him. I don't blame you for wanting more value. I simply don't think you'll get it. If you can get a team to give you a second round pick though that would be great for you. I wish you the best of luck with that. I just wouldn't give up that much myself.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I think YGM goes to gmen or earlier in R2, and is out of our trading up range. I would have preferred YGM at #31 and searching for CB in R2.

Never know, they have the ammo to trade up and get YGM. If he slides pass the Giants, you would think they would have to start thinking about moving up and getting him.

2 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

Do you move up and draft Winfield in anticipation of losing Harris next season? And if so at what point do you move up?

I haven't been able to keep up with the thread so if its been discussed my apologies. 

I'd definitely move up for Winfield (or Xavier McKinney or Grant Delpit)

I’m all for taking Antoine Winfield Jr with our 2nd round pick!  I actually wanted him at 31, but Gladney was probably the smarter choice at that point.  Yes we have Harris and Smith already, but Harris is only on a 1 year deal as of now.  If we get an extension done then that’s cool, but if not at least Winfield would be insurance for that.  In 4 years when Winfield is ready for an extension Harrison Smith will be 35 and Anthony Harris will be 32.  Right now we still need depth at both S and CB.  Winfield can play both safety spots, nickel CB, and dime CB; he probably could play outside CB better than Kris Boyd if asked as well.  So he would be very versatile depth.  He can also be an elite special teams player and returner similar to Marcus Sherels until a starting spot opens up for him.

I probably take Josh Jones or Ezra Cleveland if they are there, but Winfield is a close 3rd.

1 minute ago, BWG VIKE said:

Do you move up and draft Winfield in anticipation of losing Harris next season? And if so at what point do you move up?

the latest news is that they're working towards an extension, so he would presumably be on the team for a couple more years.