2020 NFL Draft - Day Two Discussion

RpMc

Ten Pick Rick is striving to become Twenty Pick Rick, but unfortunately at the expense of quality of picks ....AND the quantity of players that will 'contribute significantly'.

My emphasis on 'contribute significantly' requires clarification...

Most late round picks never make a team's roster.... for more than a year or two.   The term 'significantly' implies the number of games they are active for is limited by their short NFL career. 

Claiming that a large number of late round picks made the Vikings roster (in their rookie year, and perhaps 1-2 years thereafter) ignores the detail they most often do because an aging vet with diminishing skills and accelerating salary cap hit must be replaced either because the latter are too costly (e.g. Griffen, Rhodes), or quality players have departed in free agency (e.g. Waynes, Alexander).  Look for more DBs to be drafted in the later rounds to replace the 3rd of the 3 vet DBs I mentioned.  (The WR, CB#2, Slot CB, and Swing OT holes have been filled).

I am not opposed to trading an overabundance of late round picks in 2020 forward in time to use in trades next year to improve the quality of 2021 draft picks.... this will almost certainly be a rebuilding year.   I like the sound of 'Six Pick Rick' in '21.  {DB, DE, OG, WR, S, TE}

Those who claim the plethora of 'very late' round picks are a good thing because of the perceived, but not proven, difficulty of signing UDFAs fail to show why one team (e.g.Vikings) will be at a disadvantage in doing so relative to the other 31 NFL teams in that regard.   I call that another example of 'Corona Bologna'.

Vikings have 13 picks today apparently, 3 in rounds 4,5 and 6.  Freaking crazy and doubt they keep them all.  Biggest targets for me would be DE/OG/S/DT possibly.  Still think about backup QB, Jake Fromm and Jacob Eason are just sitting there, Fromm is basically a Kirk Cousins college clone honestly, I would not mind him 4th round or Eason who is more talented and has arguably the best arm in the draft but is not the leader Fromm is.

Some of the top player still on the board.  Must say track background in this draft is crazy important it seems, if you have even an inkling of track success in college and are still raw as a football player that is instantly considered upside and potential.   It is good to be able to run but not everyone that can run can tackle.  

Curtis Weaver DE
James Lynch DE/DT
Tyler Biadasz C
John Simpson OG
Nick Harris C
Netane Muti OG
Prince Tega Wanogoh OT
Amik Robertson CB
Jacob Eason QB
Albert Okwuegbunam TE
Bryce Hall CB
Alton Robinson DE
Jake Fromm QB
Saahdig Charles OT/OG
Antonio Gandy-Golden WR
Bryce Hopkins TE
Tony Pride Jr CB
Shane Lemieux OG
Jack Driscooll OT/OG
David Woodward ILB
Joe Bachie ILB
KJ Hill WR
Kenny Willekes DE
Tyler Johnson WR
Charlie Heck OT
Robert Windsor DT
Alohi Gilman S
Leki Fotu DT
Thaddeus Moss TE
Antonie Brooks S/LB
Gabriel Davis WR
K'Vone Wallace S
Khalid Kareem DE
Evan Weaver ILB
JR Reed S
Bradlee Anae DE

I would love one of these top OGs like Muti or Simpson, then throw a DE like Robinson or Weaver then maybe a backup QB of high level like Eason or Fromm.  Harris or Biadasz would be tempting though, especially Biadasz.  Heck James Lynch is a beast and has a motor and versatility on the DL.  Then again safety should be a get in this round because they will be gone soon, Gilman on Notre Dame, Brooks on Maryland or Reed.  Chris Miller would love as well obviously.  Jeremy Chinn wish we got him, damn that guy can run and hits like a ton of bricks, he was very impressive in those highlights.

By the way the pretty boy head coaches all have the same lawn apparently, with big square stone tiles put in a standard pattern with the green grass being in the mortar spaces.  Freaking McVay and Kingsbury both had it!  Where Zim had sweet *** dead elk heads on his wall, one is cool one is not, wonder which one.

• Like 3

Well, we have 3 picks in round 4.. I would love a trade up with our other pick and try to get 4 picks in round 4. ( won’t happen, but anyway)

Give me:

James Lynch DT

Saahdig Charles OT/OG ( I believe he will be a OG)

Kenny Willekes DE

James Proche WR ( great slot who catches everything)

This is my wish list for today. I believe all 4 of these guys could see the field this year.

Just now, Vikes22 said:

Well, we have 3 picks in round 4.. I would love a trade up with our other pick and try to get 4 picks in round 4. ( won’t happen, but anyway)

Give me:

James Lynch DT

Saahdig Charles OT/OG ( I believe he will be a OG)

Kenny Willekes DE

James Proche WR ( great slot who catches everything)

This is my wish list for today. I believe all 4 of these guys could see the field this year.

Yeah I would like all of those guys, Willekes can ball and Charles is super athletic and I agree he is a OG in the NFL most likely.   Proche is a stud as well with great feet, but would be nice to get a big receiver as well potentially who can go up and get it. Antonio Gandy-Golden is one of the few left on the board who can do that, but would be happy with either receiver. 

Kind of wish we got Trautman late 3rd though instead of trading the pick and the Saints got him, he is a hell of a blocker and loves to block, great hands and quickness.  He could have replaced Morgan as the blocking TE and gives much more in the passing game, surprised they did not make that move.

25 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

By the way the pretty boy head coaches all have the same lawn apparently, with big square stone tiles put in a standard pattern with the green grass being in the mortar spaces.  Freaking McVay and Kingsbury both had it!  Where Zim had sweet *** dead elk heads on his wall, one is cool one is not, wonder which one.

haha when they first showed McVay i thought he was at Kingbury's house, it looked like he was on the second floor and Kingsbury was in the living room downstairs. 

i thought it was pretty cool to see how the different coaches and GMs live. it looks like McVay and Kingsbury balled out on their houses meanwhile older guys like Belichick and Reid had very modest setups. Zimmer's looked nice but definitely a different aesthetic than the young coaches. 

9 hours ago, Klomp said:

Longest gap between picks is 25

Yes, but it happens TWICE!!! So uncalled for!!!

Spielman better do something about this so we don't have to suffer this much.

Need to trade 176 to Miami for 185 and 227...and might as well have them throw in 246 just to be on the safe side.  :D

That way the biggest gap is only 17 picks (227 to 244) between selections and then we're up to 19 total picks. Might as well find a trade partner to get us to 20 at that point. Just sayin.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, whitehops said:

haha when they first showed McVay i thought he was at Kingbury's house, it looked like he was on the second floor and Kingsbury was in the living room downstairs. 

i thought it was pretty cool to see how the different coaches and GMs live. it looks like McVay and Kingsbury balled out on their houses meanwhile older guys like Belichick and Reid had very modest setups. Zimmer's looked nice but definitely a different aesthetic than the young coaches. 

slq9zgjmvpjmjmtxej83.jpg

Zimmer is a freaking boss and that is easily to me the best decor of any location in the draft!   Freaking epic and bad to the bone, awesome table, awesome rock fireplace, sweet mantel etc.  Surprised his rock fire place is not split granite rocks instead, those look way better but they are harder to do because of the odd shape of the rocks and one has to literally stack them without flat surfaces, maybe me and my dad could hook him up on that one, he has made a few of them before.

But yeah I found it very odd both the pretty boy coaches had literally the same stupid lawn design.  Sure the creator of that could charge extra for honestly a pretty lame set up, what you mow that little strip inbetween the square stones?  Lame.  Then again they are not doing it so what do they care.  PS Zimmer's floor actually is potentially wood, where a lot of other guys floors are absolutely fake.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

For TE, what do you think of Harrison Bryant?

Don't really know too much about him other than what I've read at various spots because I never really viewed TE as a need however with that said I wouldn't mind him but he's currently behind Moss & Colby Parkinson for me but I really believe we avoid the TE position all together unless we're moving on from Conklin which I wouldn't be against at all

Edited by Boda

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

slq9zgjmvpjmjmtxej83.jpg

Zimmer is a freaking boss and that is easily to me the best decor of any location in the draft!   Freaking epic and bad to the bone, awesome table, awesome rock fireplace, sweet mantel etc.  Surprised his rock fire place is not split granite rocks instead, those look way better but they are harder to do because of the odd shape of the rocks and one has to literally stack them without flat surfaces, maybe me and my dad could hook him up on that one, he has made a few of them before.

But yeah I found it very odd both the pretty boy coaches had literally the same stupid lawn design.  Sure the creator of that could charge extra for honestly a pretty lame set up, what you mow that little strip inbetween the square stones?  Lame.  Then again they are not doing it so what do they care.  PS Zimmer's floor actually is potentially wood, where a lot of other guys floors are absolutely fake.  

jeez that is a massive head over the fireplace. i also like the nice touch of having a custom fireplace screen that says "zimmer ridge". 

personally i'm not a fan of stuffed heads on the wall (but understand there are people who do) but yeah i love everything else about zim's setup. spacious, wood on wood on wood, wood fireplace (can you imagine zimmer with a gas fireplace?), just nice decor all around. could probably find a more elegant solution for all those wires on the ground though!

here's a video tour of his ranch if you're interested: https://www.vikings.com/video/an-inside-look-at-zimmer-ridge-ranch. i'd love to see the difference between the ranch and his place in minnesota.

Just now, whitehops said:

jeez that is a massive head over the fireplace. i also like the nice touch of having a custom fireplace screen that says "zimmer ridge". 

personally i'm not a fan of stuffed heads on the wall (but understand there are people who do) but yeah i love everything else about zim's setup. spacious, wood on wood on wood, wood fireplace (can you imagine zimmer with a gas fireplace?), just nice decor all around. could probably find a more elegant solution for all those wires on the ground though!

here's a video tour of his ranch if you're interested: https://www.vikings.com/video/an-inside-look-at-zimmer-ridge-ranch. i'd love to see the difference between the ranch and his place in minnesota.

Yeah I am not a huge fan of stuffed heads or hunting for that matter.  But clearly any hunter loves to display their kills, and it does have a rustic cool look that is badass for any Head coach in the NFL.  Just saying no other coach even came close to the look those mounts pull off, that one is massive and I assume an Elk.  It is just super cool compared to pretty boy head coaches with lawns in the cracks of stone squares outside, lame modern junk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah I am not a huge fan of stuffed heads or hunting for that matter.  But clearly any hunter loves to display their kills, and it does have a rustic cool look that is badass for any Head coach in the NFL.  Just saying no other coach even came close to the look those mounts pull off, that one is massive and I assume an Elk.  It is just super cool compared to pretty boy head coaches with lawns in the cracks of stone squares outside, lame modern junk.

look at the main floor :o

zimmer-house-1.jpg?w=810&crop=0,0px,100,

it's beautiful.

• Like 5