Texans and Laremy Tunsil agree 3 years $66M, 50 gtd.

.Buzz

18 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Let me guess without looking, Titans and Jags fans trolling over 3-4 pages than whining if you say anything negative about there teams. Seems like the new off season norm/annoyance around here

This, right here. 

Best part is that the Texans will still beat both (pretty handily at that). Hopkins or not, and even with BoB calling the shots, the Texans are simply the better team when it matters.

Which is horrible for me, because BoB gets a leg to stand on with his Divisional record and playoff appearances - he'll simply never get fired because Tennessee and Jacksonville can't get their act together.

Phillip Rivers is my only hope now.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Soggust said:

Is there any metrics / grading that support this? Not saying he's awful, by any means (I'm thinking he's in the 5-8 range, personally), but obviously taking this with a grain of salt coming from a Texans fan. But it's hard to find objective analysis of LTs

This is from October, but it's pretty in line with the season Tunsil had:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-data-study-finding-the-best-young-tackles-in-the-nfl

As far as the penalties? Think about it - the guy was traded about four days until the start of the regular season. He had no OTAs, no TC, no preseason with the Texans. He didn't have time to learn terminology, cadences, audibles, assignments - he was learning all of this on the fly during the season.

I'm actually surprised it was only 16 false starts, anyone else could be justified in that being higher. It wasn't an issue in Miami, so why would it be in Houston with a full OTA, TC and Preseason?

Answer me that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soggust said:

Is there any metrics / grading that support this? Not saying he's awful, by any means (I'm thinking he's in the 5-8 range, personally), but obviously taking this with a grain of salt coming from a Texans fan. But it's hard to find objective analysis of LTs

PFF I'm going by, that's a take it as you may cause people have their own opinions on PFF.

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This, right here. 

Best part is that the Texans will still beat both (pretty handily at that). Hopkins or not, and even with BoB calling the shots, the Texans are simply the better team when it matters.

Which is horrible for me, because BoB gets a leg to stand on with his Divisional record and playoff appearances - he'll simply never get fired because Tennessee and Jacksonville can't get their act together.

Lol the Titans are going to have another 9-7 season while the Colts and Texans end with higher than 10 wins and call it a victory cause they beat some big team on the way there

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is from October, but it's pretty in line with the season Tunsil had:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-data-study-finding-the-best-young-tackles-in-the-nfl

As far as the penalties? Think about it - the guy was traded about four days until the start of the regular season. He had no OTAs, no TC, no preseason with the Texans. He didn't have time to learn terminology, cadences, audibles, assignments - he was learning all of this on the fly during the season.

I'm actually surprised it was only 16 false starts, anyone else could be justified in that being higher. It wasn't an issue in Miami, so why would it be in Houston with a full OTA, TC and Preseason?

Answer me that.

21 minutes ago, Drained said:

PFF I'm going by, that's a take it as you may cause people have their own opinions on PFF.

Here's a more recent article from PFF -

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-25-offensive-linemen-through-week-15

That's got at least 5 LTs ahead of Tunsil. Granted this is also only through week 15 (I don't have a PFF subscription for end-of-season rankings), however, when you click on the names and compare their 2019 grade, they are all ahead of Tunsil except Decker (who was .3 behind Tunsil). Tyron Smith, who was not on this list, also finished with a grade higher than Tunsil, however. I'm not sure how many (if any) other LTs ended above him without a subscription.

I'm not trying to say Tunsil isn't a good player or anything, but I do feel like there is a significance between a top 1-3 and top 5-8 player when we are talking about setting the payscale so high comparatively. 

I'm also not sure where you are getting 16 False Starts from? I have him at 14. But while your argument of learning a new system would make sense, he had 7 of them week 8 or later, so this doesn't seem like a situation where he just started out with a bunch and got better as the year progressed, right?

Penalties source - https://www.nflpenalties.com/player/l-tunsil-houston-texans?year=2019

29 minutes ago, Soggust said:

That's got at least 5 LTs ahead of Tunsil. Granted this is also only through week 15 (I don't have a PFF subscription for end-of-season rankings), however, when you click on the names and compare their 2019 grade, they are all ahead of Tunsil except Decker (who was .3 behind Tunsil). Tyron Smith, who was not on this list, also finished with a grade higher than Tunsil, however. I'm not sure how many (if any) other LTs ended above him without a subscription.

This is good. I think most Texans fans look at Tunsil's pass blocking grade (which is why he was brought in, because run blocking was never an issue in Houston):

29 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I'm not trying to say Tunsil isn't a good player or anything, but I do feel like there is a significance between a top 1-3 and top 5-8 player when we are talking about setting the payscale so high comparatively. 

I don't necessarily disagree (I think the money is high by about $2-4MM) but I'd also look at his age - 26 is right on the cusp of his prime. The Texans are betting forward on perceived production, not past production.

I don't like the money, but I can tolerate it. Kinda. Not really, but kinda.

30 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I'm also not sure where you are getting 16 False Starts from? I have him at 14. But while your argument of learning a new system would make sense, he had 7 of them week 8 or later, so this doesn't seem like a situation where he just started out with a bunch and got better as the year progressed, right?

You got me here, but it's still a few weeks into his Texans tenure from weeks 8-17. This might be something he needs a full year to work out, I don't know. I do know this wasn't an issue with Miami, so I don't know why this should linger.

I just can't see this as part of his game going forward. It could be, but I can't see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This, right here. 

I like Indy as a dark horse. 

Rivers might have a Manning type impact when he joined the Broncos,  Rivers never had a deep, quality OL before 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I like Indy as a dark horse. 

Rivers might have a Manning type impact when he joined the Broncos,  Rivers never had a deep, quality OL before 

You can't be serious? Rivers started his career off with a very good line, and Tomlinson in the backfield. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This, right here. 

all my sympathy for the recent BoB transgressions has gone out the window. Its srs business now. I hope BoB receives a lifetime contract, and lives a long and fulfilling life.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is just in preparation for trading him today, right?

Tunsil? BOB is incredibly, incredibly stupid. Legit dumber than average, which means he's a drooling idiot compared to most coaches and GMs. However, even a moron understands he's sending out next year's 1st and 2nd for Tunsil, regardless of his roster status.

That means you'd have to at least offer BOB your 5th rounder and your worst contract to take Tunsil off our hands. But don't worry, he'll throw in our 3rd next year to make it worth your while.