The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Totally different circumstances, but he likely sticks with Carr because as most teams are learning, the alternatives right now are awful. 

It'll be interesting if he takes a QB in the second round to groom. This 1st Round QB class is horrendous, outside of Willis. I think Willis is worth a Top 10 pick purely because of his crazy toolset and upside. However, there are plenty of QB's in this draft well worth a 2nd Round Pick that have lots of potential: Carson Strong, Desmond Ridder, and Matt Corral. Not a big Corral guy but Strong and Ridder are definitely very intriguing development QB picks. 

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

No matter the QB we have essentially be the 4th best in the division. 
But Herbert is now the 3rd best (assuming he stays on track), does that mean chargers hsouldnt pick him up when the time comes? Pay him 50mil to be the 3rd best?
-

I think its the backwards way of looking at it. 
-
To win the AFCW you need to be able to compete with Elite QBs. 
History has shown you do that by keeping them off the field. (long drives and win turnover battle)
And having a dominate Dline. 

This to me screams, keep Crosby and Yannick and go get a DT in round 1. 

Granted you hope there is a DT there worth having. I only like Wyatt in the 1st. MAYBE Leal but he's really risky.

We just made the playoffs with the "third best QB in the division" last year after all the **** we went through. Not sure why we can't now with better coaches all over our staff. 

It might be a legit question but why do people act like Carr is terrible? Lol

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

We just made the playoffs with the "third best QB in the division" last year after we the **** we went through. Not sure why we can't now with better coaches all over our staff. 

If I knew this wouldn't be a 240 page thread. But here we are.

If you ask me, people are tired of organizational incompetency and are taking it out on the qb. Granted the qb is not free from blame and he had a few games this year that had me furious. But he also did some very nice things when given the opportunity.

I think a lot of it revolves around if you think a qb should be able to overcome incompetency from the front office. Not many can.

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

We just made the playoffs with the "third best QB in the division" last year after we the **** we went through. Not sure why we can't now with better coaches all over our staff. 

No one acts like Carr is terrible. We are competitive fans that want to win a Super Bowl. To win a Super Bowl, you need a Top 10 QB. Something Carr is not, even though you may disagree with it. Carr has largely been in the 12-16 range of his career. Personally I have never considered him a Top 10 QB, and neither have many other non-Raider fans. He's a slightly above average QB who can win games. 

I've spoke about Carr's negatives a ton of times. 

- Feels phantom pressure quite a bit. This was a flaw dating back to college and all of his scouting reports.

- Excellent pre-snap, but during the play he is actually very below average going through progressions. Not a fast processor in any realm of the imagination. 

- Once you sack him a few times, he is mentally a different QB during the game. I have seen him completely shut down more times than I can count. Bosa's comments were not completely unwarranted. 

- He only throws if a receiver is extremely open. Always been a very risk-adverse QB and does not have the ability to fit it in a super-tight window like some of the Top 5-7 elite QB's in this league have the ability to do. 

- Redzone was not all Gruden, and you'd be a fool to put all the blame on him. Carr has largely been a very suspect redzone QB his entire career. One of the reasons being his risk-adverse tendencies. 

- One of the worst QB's in the league at extending plays, a huge asset in today's NFL. Carr is not slow, but he rarely ever scrambles in the backfield to extend a play. He has decent speed, but some horrid agility. Also, he has small hands and tends to fumble a lot, another reason he doesn't try to extend plays very often. Which brings me to my next point:

- Even though he is a risk-adverse QB, he still turns the ball over A LOT. Especially fumbles. He is probably the most fumble prone QB in the league, one of the reasons being 9" hands.

I mean, I could write more... he is a pretty flawed QB. 

To be fair, I'll write some of his positives:

- Excellent pre-snap defensive reading and adjustments (which is what McDaniels scheme likes to do the most). 

- Laser accuracy in the short game and the intermediate middle-field. Deep-field and middle-field sidelines his accuracy is pretty average though. And no, I don't want to see PFF accuracy stats which are largely inaccurate. Of course Carr's deep completion % is going to be super high when he only throws when a guy is wide open, common sense.

- Strong arm and can make every throw in the NFL. It's not a Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Stafford arm, but it's a pretty good arm. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not to mention the desperation trade market is at an all time high. What would Washington pay for Carr right now? I'd be inclined to listen.

When you start hearing rumblings around the league that Mitchell Trubisky might get a starting job this off-season, you know teams are desperate and someone will overpay. I'm definitely hoping our new regime is listening. 

35 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Who here has said Carr is terrible? Stop being dramatic. 

3 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

No matter the QB we have essentially be the 4th best in the division. 
But Herbert is now the 3rd best (assuming he stays on track), does that mean chargers hsouldnt pick him up when the time comes? Pay him 50mil to be the 3rd best?
-

Lmao you left out the fact that Herbert is only 23 and getting rapidly better each year 😂 Of course you pay him.

Carr is 31 and is coming off one of his more pedestrian years, which wasn't completely his fault but its true.

33 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If I knew this wouldn't be a 240 page thread. But here we are.

If you ask me, people are tired of organizational incompetency and are taking it out on the qb. Granted the qb is not free from blame and he had a few games this year that had me furious. But he also did some very nice things when given the opportunity.

I think a lot of it revolves around if you think a qb should be able to overcome incompetency from the front office. Not many can.

This is fair and I don't disagree with much of it. I can't suggest they were incompetent with this recent string of hirings within the staff but that obviously remains to be seen. I was sour on McD at first but I've since gotten more excited about it as time has gone by. If he can't do much else with Carr that we haven't seen then maybe it will be time to move on especially since the 2023 class is shaping up to look pretty good

• Like 2

Love Carr but if the extension is Arod like 50 mil per then I'm good with trading him. Personally with Russ in Denver I say stack the offense with weapons and protection. If we go down, we go down fighting!!! Though I could understand a complete rebuild but I think that's a mistake. Worse than not trying to win a meaningless game to get a better draft pick.

If there is a chance, burn the boats and FIGHT!!!

13 minutes ago, G said:

Love Carr but if the extension is Arod like 50 mil per then I'm good with trading him. Personally with Russ in Denver I say stack the offense with weapons and protection. If we go down, we go down fighting!!! Though I could understand a complete rebuild but I think that's a mistake. Worse than not trying to win a meaningless game to get a better draft pick.

If there is a chance, burn the boats and FIGHT!!!

It would never be that amount and I'd be surprised if it's 35k. I'm not disagreeing though that we're going to have to score points so let's load up and see what happens. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Lmao you left out the fact that Herbert is only 23 and getting rapidly better each year 😂 Of course you pay him.

Carr is 31 and is coming off one of his more pedestrian years, which wasn't completely his fault but its true.

Yes exactly, so there is more to the story, which you just pointed out.
To say, you shouldnt pay the 4th best QB in a division, doesnt tell the whole story. 

That is what I was trying to show . . and you proved it by justifying that Herbert at 3rd best doesnt tell the whole story

Most QBs in the league would be 4th rated in this division.