The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

I’d imagine this is Carr final go around with the Raiders unless we start winning more down the stretch.

NFL Teams are winning without paying a premium at the QB position. Unless you have a Josh Allen or Mahomes type of difference maker, paying 40 million for Carr doesn’t work.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Or he could’ve just thrown to waller after 3 seconds carr is still patting the ball bouncing around back there while the oline is still blocking. After about 5 seconds of indecisiveness he jogs towards the right. Then imo the oline slows down. 

He could have taken the sht to Waller and that was probably the best option but I was just sticking to what happens after he breaks the pocket.  

39 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He could have taken the sht to Waller and that was probably the best option but I was just sticking to what happens after he breaks the pocket.  

I see yea once he breaks the pocket everyone is like bruh it’s been 5 sec you still have the ball?

On 10/17/2022 at 10:29 AM, drfrey13 said:

He has the physical skills but mentally there is a lot to fix.  He is conservative, settles for 3, does not process information quickly during a play, and fades away from defenders (does not attack LOS to make defender choose).  Carr is the most frustrating QB in the league.  Just about every other QBs deficiencies can be explained but Carr's do not make sense a lot of the time so we argue about whether it is him, his teammates, or coaching.  There is always an excuse but eventually we have to just admit he does not have what it takes between the ears.  The Colts game 2016 through 2018 may have broken him.

Bingo, over the years Iv'e called it the lack of will, or the want to,  or awareness that you see lesser QB's have.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 5:25 PM, drfrey13 said:

On that play there is more than just Carr that causes problems.  The oline just stops blocking.  They need to stay engaged,  Carr is not decisive so his window to take off closes and closes quickly because of the oline.  He has a hard time getting upfield when he gets out of the pocket so the defense gets to stay back and clog passing lanes while at the same time have enough time for dlinemen chase him towards the sideline.  On top of all that or receivers act like they have never practiced a scramble drill before.  It happens a lot when he breaks the pocket.  Could be similar to Cooper where he gives up because he figures Carr is not going to give him a chance.  I do not know who caused the problem but the coaches need to fix it.

Well he litterally ran the wrong way

21 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’d imagine this is Carr final go around with the Raiders unless we start winning more down the stretch.

NFL Teams are winning without paying a premium at the QB position. Unless you have a Josh Allen or Mahomes type of difference maker, paying 40 million for Carr doesn’t work.

The lure of rolling the dice on a qb on a rookie contract is enticing (assuming it works out) to even the biggest Carr backers.

On 10/17/2022 at 6:11 PM, drfrey13 said:
On 10/17/2022 at 12:25 PM, BayRaider said:

Near the bottom for 2022 as well

Average of 20th in the league is not good or worth his current contract.  

To be fair, prior to this year I dont think our offence as a whole has been any more than middle of the pack in terms of overall talent so I personally wouldn’t expect better than middle of the pack in terms of Red Zone efficiency. It’s obviously directly related to playmaker talent, coaching, play design, QB talent and OLine. So when we’ve lacked in some of these we kinda get the obvious results over the last number of years IMHO.

Now, I would have to say this year we are supposed to have upgraded in Playmaker talent, play design and coaching whilst probably downgrading in OLine (overall since Carr has been here) so we should see a noticeable improvement and it would be very disappointing if we didn’t improve as the year went on. 

19 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I see yea once he breaks the pocket everyone is like bruh it’s been 5 sec you still have the ball?

True that this play shows something that Carr rarely does and I think that is part of the problem but as a highly paid professional you do not stop until the whistle blows.  Very similar to the play where Carr threw into triple coverage deep to Cooper and it was intercepted by the Chiefs.  Now I understand why Cooper broke off his route but at the same time you are a professional athlete getting paid millions.  You should never take a play off.

15 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Well he litterally ran the wrong way

I really wonder if this type of stuff was coached while he has been with us.  His ability to create when things brake down is awful but the other players seem to not know what to do either.

16 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

To be fair, prior to this year I dont think our offence as a whole has been any more than middle of the pack in terms of overall talent so I personally wouldn’t expect better than middle of the pack in terms of Red Zone efficiency. It’s obviously directly related to playmaker talent, coaching, play design, QB talent and OLine. So when we’ve lacked in some of these we kinda get the obvious results over the last number of years IMHO.

Now, I would have to say this year we are supposed to have upgraded in Playmaker talent, play design and coaching whilst probably downgrading in OLine (overall since Carr has been here) so we should see a noticeable improvement and it would be very disappointing if we didn’t improve as the year went on. 

Hope they turn it around but this has been the worst year in regards to efficiency in his career.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

True that this play shows something that Carr rarely does and I think that is part of the problem but as a highly paid professional you do not stop until the whistle blows.  Very similar to the play where Carr threw into triple coverage deep to Cooper and it was intercepted by the Chiefs.  Now I understand why Cooper broke off his route but at the same time you are a professional athlete getting paid millions.  You should never take a play off.

True you also run the risk of getting holding calls when qb hold the ball that long and start running side to side

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Hope they turn it around but this has been the worst year in regards to efficiency in his career.

Yeh, strange as most including myself reasoned it should be the best….. things should improve but you never know. I have some optimism.

20 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Bingo, over the years Iv'e called it the lack of will, or the want to,  or awareness that you see lesser QB's have.

I’ve been saying Carr’s mentality is the problem for yearssss. The amount of criticism I’ve taken over it is insane, but now seems tons of people are coming around. He’s not a fast processor, he’s been one of the most risk adverse QB’s in the league, and in the redzone he treats it like the rest of the field and continues his risk adverse approach. 

Edited by BayRaider

Carr fan and we've always said he's a 20-20 yard line QB. I totally want him to improve in the red zone but we've also had the worst weapons from breaking out big plays and never getting into the red zone because it's a TD. Ruggs had that ability and the current weapons do too but Waller/Renfrow aren't playing as well as they were and Adams and Carr are still getting chemistry back. Hollins be making plays but Nelly would be scoring before we get into the redzone.