The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

24 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Realistically, best case scenario is you draft Young and then start Carr next year with an improved supporting cast. Carr plays very well and you trade him for a 1st round pick + more. No way you're gonna get good value trading him after this year when he's playing with mainly backup skill position players and a bum OL.

Bryce Young has this It-factor to him. He’s super crafty and and literally has no weakness to his game other than size issues

Another plus is that he’s from Pasadena which is 5 hour drive from Vegas. 

58 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Haven't seen many in here say he is the answer. My point was until you fix the bigger problems on offense, won't matter who your QB is. You can argue the contract all you want and it is valid until they restructure it and it's nothing more than a minor cap hit which teams do every single year.

Someone smarter with this stuff than me will need to comment, but if he's retained past 2/15/23 his $33M salary for 2023, + $7.5M of 2024 compensation become fully guaranteed. How do you restructure what is a 34 and 48 mil cap hits the next 2 years into a minor cap hit?

57 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Bryce Young has this It-factor to him. He’s super crafty and and literally has no weakness to his game other than size issues

He has weakness to his game. No QB coming doesn't. Even Lawrence, seen as a one in a generation prospect has had his struggles. And size is a pretty big issue when you have a poor Oline. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Someone smarter with this stuff than me will need to comment, but if he's retained past 2/15/23 his $33M salary for 2023, + $7.5M of 2024 compensation become fully guaranteed. How do you restructure what is a 34 and 48 mil cap hits the next 2 years into a minor cap hit?

Maybe this situation is different (I admit I'm not the best w/ it either) but moving that money over to a signing bonus and giving him the vet minimum base salary so the cap hit would only be that. I believe this is what teams all over the league do to open up cap space

55 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I don't see a scenario where we'd do that.

A) We either cut him before 2/15 and our dead money is 5~ mil.

B)If we retain him after the superbowl, we've committed to him for that year. There is not much dead money if we cut him at the end of 2023.  (5.6 mil dead money after 2023- because all of his "guaranteed" money would have already been paid out)

I don't understand, are you saying we'd retain him after 2/15 for the 2023 year, and then want to cut him midyear next year? The way his contract is structured, we have a very very low cap hit if we cut him after any of his years on his contract. 

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

A mere 5 hours...........This made me chuckle. I'm from Wales in the UK so I can drive from Wales into England, head north and arrive in Scotland and see 3 different countries in 5 hours 😂 

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

It’s along the lines of Matt Ryan and Wentz trades. Teams taking on salary aren’t gonna want to give up a 1st

Carson Wentz was traded for a first round pick from Philadelphia to Indianapolis though. One of the things that will make a Carr trade pretty difficult though is the fact that he has a no trade clause. 

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Realistically, best case scenario is you draft Young and then start Carr next year with an improved supporting cast. Carr plays very well and you trade him for a 1st round pick + more. No way you're gonna get good value trading him after this year when he's playing with mainly backup skill position players and a bum OL.

If you're going to keep Carr I think it'd be smarter to just invest resources into the offensive line and defense. Run it back next year with the same core of guys and if it doesn't work then we should just do a fire sale on the roster and blow things up. If we do decide to trade Carr I think there's still a chance we'd get a first round pick for him, despite the team's struggles he's still on pace for 4,000 yards, 25 TD/9 INT. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you're going to keep Carr I think it'd be smarter to just invest resources into the offensive line and defense. Run it back next year with the same core of guys and if it doesn't work then we should just do a fire sale on the roster and blow things up. If we do decide to trade Carr I think there's still a chance we'd get a first round pick for him, despite the team's struggles he's still on pace for 4,000 yards, 25 TD/9 INT. 

I’m good either way. 

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I’m good either way. 

I think we have to decide one way or the other. It's either keep Carr and attempt to reload the roster (particularly the OL/defense) and run it back with the same core group. Or you move on from him, draft someone early, and bring in a bridge guy to help provide some stability in the short term. If you're going to commit to him even for another year then I think you have to have confidence he can turn it around so drafting someone else high instead of addressing one of the other glaring holes on the roster doesn't make a ton of sense. 

I think the panic on here is pretty overblown though. This year is basically the same thing that happened between 2016/2017 where the close games that swung our way in 2016 just didn't in 2017. 

I'm assuming that we're going to give the core one more year though. We've been competitive every week and if we were even slightly better in terms of our major holes we'd probably be in playoff contention. We've also only seen our core of guys out there together for like 40 snaps this year so if we were confident in them coming into this season I'm not sure how we can feel drastically different now.

• Like 1