The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, BigPerro said:

you can't, you either have it or you don't and Carr doesn't have it 39-55 is enough proof 

So, if we should have a 10-6 record this year for example and make the playoffs would Carr then have 'it'? Did he have 'it' in 2016 and just lose it or misplace it? 

Or were the wins in 2016 up to the team and the losses in other years up to him? I don't see a consistent argument here, perhaps he is quite good but needs a good supporting team for success just like most QBs?

12 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

How do you practice scrambling? Or extending plays? 🤔

Couldn't he simply take a snap and have a couple PS linemen try and two hand touch him while he evades and throws? Seems like a really simply drill to set up. 

Alternatively the Rocky chicken drill would be fun 😁😁

42 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Couldn't he simply take a snap and have a couple PS linemen try and two hand touch him while he evades and throws? Seems like a really simply drill to set up. 

He could mimic it to train the body muscles but he needs to train the one between the ears.  No matter what he will not progress until it is live fire.  He is not learning foot placement.  He needs to learn not to flinch.

52 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He could mimic it to train the body muscles but he needs to train the one between the ears.  No matter what he will not progress until it is live fire.  He is not learning foot placement.  He needs to learn not to flinch.

I dont know, having a couple 300 pounders bearing down on you trying to make a name for themselves would be quite live. Maybe put a friendly wager on between Carr and the linemen, if they catch him he takes all their families out for food, would be welcomed if they were practice squaders 😀 

15 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Instruct him he cannot throw the ball away during practice and every sack is x pushups. Add in pa rollout plays with the same instruction to increase the odds of having to scramble.

18 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I will say that having a WR running around like Ruggs will help his scrambling.  A guy like Ruggs can get separation and will be hard to contain, which will give Carr an advantage when scrambling. 

Scrambling around and extending plays when throwing to a slow, washed up 40 year old Jordy Nelson or Ateman is foolish and would only lead to an unnecessary injury.  I wouldn't have scrambled around on the dumpster fire teams we had nor would I had any confidence that either Nelson or Ateman could gain any separation if I were to scramble.     

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Pocket awareness drills are different but scrambling to gain yards is more than just running it’s processing situations and taking a chance when it presents itself. That’s really hard to simulate unless it’s a full squad scrimmage. It’s more split second thinking reading and reacting. 

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I will say that having a WR running around like Ruggs will help his scrambling.  A guy like Ruggs can get separation and will be hard to contain, which will give Carr an advantage when scrambling. 

Scrambling around and extending plays when throwing to a slow, washed up 40 year old Jordy Nelson or Ateman is foolish and would only lead to an unnecessary injury.  I wouldn't have scrambled around on the dumpster fire teams we had nor would I had any confidence that either Nelson or Ateman could gain any separation if I were to scramble.     

Extending plays imo helps fast wrs more than slow ones. For example asking a fast cb to guard a slow wr Is semi simple extending a play isn’t going to help that.

a fast cb can guard a fast wr  for maybe 2-3 sec. if the qb extends the play and now cb is asked to guard fast wr for 4-5 seconds is nearly impossible especially if the qb has a arm. No one is hanging with ruggs for more than 4sec 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

The drills can help him if his issue is that he has tried to stay in the pocket just to be a pocket passer.  Repetition will help him there but I believe this attitude started after the injuries.  He never ran a lot even though I think he has the ability but his numbers dropped after 2016.  For a QB that averages less than 2 rushes per game it should be easy to increase.  If he can get closer to 4-5 per game, under the right circumstances like taking the risk to pick up a 1st down, I think we see a big improvement in the team overall.  Defense will be fresher and an extra couple 1st downs combined could translate to 5-7 point swing in games on average.

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Pocket awareness drills are different but scrambling to gain yards is more than just running it’s processing situations and taking a chance when it presents itself. That’s really hard to simulate unless it’s a full squad scrimmage. It’s more split second thinking reading and reacting. 

Oh I agree with that, pocket awareness is almost an intrinsic skill and I would think can be improved but only to a limit. I was more thinking of the extending plays and how that could be worked on by evading defenders. I think we'd all like to see Carr scramble a little more, without risking too much of course!

I will say this dc is very very very articulate and easy to understand 

interesting he said 2019 dc was better than 2016 dc 🤔 me I like 2015 dc in a selfish way

braging about beating out every qb we brought in the locker room lol 

dc verbally writing checks he better be able to cash

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

19 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Extending plays imo helps fast wrs more than slow ones. For example asking a fast cb to guard a slow wr Is semi simple extending a play isn’t going to help that.

a fast cb can guard a fast wr  for maybe 2-3 sec. if the qb extends the play and now cb is asked to guard fast wr for 4-5 seconds is nearly impossible especially if the qb has a arm. No one is hanging with ruggs for more than 4sec 

That is exactly my point.  It wasn't smart for Carr to scramble with our WR corp because they sucked and couldn't gain separation even if they were running around for 4 seconds.  

As Raider fans we had to watch this YOY with a lot of teams.  We couldn't generate much of a pass rush and when we did out DL couldn't finish.  A QB would scramble, gain extra time then kill us through the air.  

I believe Carr has the ability to extend plays with his legs but hasn't done much of it over the last few seasons.  I'm not looking for him to be Russell Wilson but I feel like we will be seeing more of him extending plays with his legs this season than in seasons past due to our upgraded WR's. 

On 8/5/2020 at 1:05 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

It is really impossible to fully practice  scramble drills without a live rush coming at you. They can practice it with the red Jersey's but it is something he needs to work on during games. Most QBs became good at that in thier youth. Either have it or they don't, almost a 6th Sense for a QB

3 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

It is really impossible to fully practice  scramble drills without a live rush coming at you. They can practice it with the red Jersey's but it is something he needs to work on during games. Most QBs became good at that in thier youth. Either have it or they don't, almost a 6th Sense for a QB

I makes sure all my qb’s know how to slide even bring in a baseball coach. 

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

That is exactly my point.  It wasn't smart for Carr to scramble with our WR corp because they sucked and couldn't gain separation even if they were running around for 4 seconds.  

As Raider fans we had to watch this YOY with a lot of teams.  We couldn't generate much of a pass rush and when we did out DL couldn't finish.  A QB would scramble, gain extra time then kill us through the air.  

I believe Carr has the ability to extend plays with his legs but hasn't done much of it over the last few seasons.  I'm not looking for him to be Russell Wilson but I feel like we will be seeing more of him extending plays with his legs this season than in seasons past due to our upgraded WR's. 

Carr had hella chances to scramble and get first downs last year. Not scramble to give his guys a chance to get open.

Carr’s best wr arguably hunter isn’t fast or physically imposing but carr gives him countless chances even forcing it to him getting him killed sometimes. Carr got to give more wrs that luxury 

Carr is just gun shy. Rather it’s running or passing. He even cost us a game by sliding out of bounds. Not to mention the goal line fumbles which I also think factors in his decisions to not scramble more than he does.